Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone not like UCD

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Did anyone feel when they got to UCD they felt a little dissapointed, for whatever reason. Unfortunatly i was doing firt year neuroscience at UCD this year, coming from UK doing A levels, the general science year was pretty p**ss easy for me and so ive decided to come back to england and just go straight into the neuroscience degree. As spending thousands of euros on fees and accomodation just for a general science year is a little pointless. I feel a little dissapointed that the introuductory stuff was so easy. Anyone else feel like this. And for neuroscience the course dosent really start till second year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

My Ex studied in UCD, she came over from America to study for a year here.. She hated the college, she didnt think much of the classes/ facilities

You actually sound a bit mental tbh and I'm sure the girl you 'fell for' will be glad that she's not going to be stalked all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

the classes are a little sucky escpailly for an A level applicant who has done all the foundation year stuff

but i just feel a little cheated by the course, i feel as thought UCD places alot more emphasis on sports of social wellbeing rather than the academic rigour of uni

It's the FIRST WEEK you mad thing. Everything is easyish for the first couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

lol mate i got stuck with introducking maths and chemistry, those things dont get harder the point im making is everything in those options cover everything ive done during my A levels ans before and so i really dont have the money to plash out just for a general science course i cam here for neuroscience and even then all that is in the first year is reallya poster presentation focusing on one topic which is narrow is think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

logic123 wrote: »
    but i just feel a little cheated by the course, i feel as thought UCD places alot more emphasis on sports of social wellbeing rather than the academic rigour of uni

Did you not do any research into the course? Obviously if you did you would of figured out that 1st stuff for someone with A-levels was piss easy. Bit stupid not looking into the course you're doing especially when moving from another country.

I don't get what you're trying to say.
    Is your course not specifically neuroscience? Or is it just a general course?

Sounds like you should have read up about it before you payed thousands of euro!

erm neuroscience? didnt say anything about doing option modules such as ''introducing maths and chem'' learning to add fractions, if i knew i was going to be spending a year doing general science rather than the course i wanted then i woulda had second thoughts.

over in england the neuroscience courseis only 3 years not 4 like in UCD which means they skip the foundation year which is what UCD appantly is doing.you mean hasent the irish done maths and chem before lolz

• Advertisement

over in england the neuroscience courseis only 3 years not 4 like in UCD which means they skip the foundation year which is what UCD appantly is doing.you mean hasent the irish done maths and chem before lolz

Maths yes, but not everyone does chemistry. If Neuroscience doesn't have a chemistry requirement then some students wouldn't have done it since they were 15 for the junior cert. Looking at the website for straight neuroscience Intro to Math & chemistry are down as opitions. http://www.ucd.ie/students/curriculumarchive.html Under science->science-> Single major. Why did you pick them as an option? You might be able to switch and get out of them.

Haven't you done English before?

probably why then, no im not getting at anyone, i just didnt really realise that they would have this sort of general year before starting your real degree, which would of been better if they said on the site. At least when i was doing my registration it gave me no choice but to do all these introductory courses which was a little pain. But getting in those lectures turned out to be a choir not to fall a sleep

probably why then, no im not getting at anyone, i just didnt really realise that they would have this sort of general year before starting your real degree, which would of been better if they said on the site. At least when i was doing my registration it gave me no choice but to do all these introductory courses which was a little pain. But getting in those lectures turned out to be a choir not to fall a sleep i didnt have any choice not to pick them i guess it didnt pick up the fact that i did acheive AAAB in my A levels.

what would you people do in my situation would you stick around and do the general science year, like the foundation year, or would you find somewhere that went straight into your course, taking into account all the money you would be paying for accomodation and such just for a foundation year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

I'm guessing you fell asleep in "typing class" too :rolleyes:

im touch typing so kinda miss the keys lolz

what would you people do in my situation would you stick around and do the general science year, like the foundation year, or would you find somewhere that went straight into your course, taking into account all the money you would be paying for accomodation and such just for a foundation year

I'd love to do an extra year of college especially one that you'll find easy which will involve little work if I could afford it, however if it's just going to annoy you then it won't suit you. If money is a huge issue then you're better off leaving.

yer this is the reason i really cant afford to spend money on learning stuff ive done time and time again and would be better saving it for the 3 year course next year. Still miss this girl in UCD terribly haha

Pics? I'll tap her up while you're gone so she doesn't get lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

im touch typing so kinda miss the keys lolz

No you don't miss the keys, you just spell completely incorrect.

sos for my eyes only :) gotta go back there next week and see her anyways :) were actually still doing the same neuroscience course so we will be finishing at the same time. :) sos m8 shes mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You actually sound a bit mental tbh and I'm sure the girl you 'fell for' will be glad that she's not going to be stalked all year.

Lol i think some people here are getting a bit defensive because you don't like UCD

it just depends on the type of person, for me i feel UCD is more of a sporting, social uni, with little emphasis on academic rigour. I much prefer to be in an academic enviroment, oviously i didnt know what UCD would be like until i came

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

thorbarry wrote: »
    Lol i think some people here are getting a bit defensive because you don't like UCD

+1 How funny!!

Logic - glad you are happier now. Its a pity coming to Dublin didn't work out how you wanted to. Best of luck anyway

well im still a little upset lol but thats just because i dont get to see this hot girl every day lol but i cant really stay just for one person hehe

thorbarry wrote: »

Actually I've been to DCU, a PLC college and am only doing a night course in UCD. So I couldn't care less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Logic..as your name implies??..the course is designed to bring everybody up to speed in the first year with a foundation course. Your A levels are more focused on specific subjects, where as our we do more subjects in school than you but with less focus..you should have done your homework..

Seriously..the academic year has just started, you'll find it more difficult to fit in next year socially as groups and niches get formed in first year. Believe me UCD is academic focused the sports/social part is up to yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm in 3rd year now, and have had disappointments with some aspects of the programme and the facilities, but I'm one of those folks who is largely focused on the expected outcome, and not so much on the "experience". I'm not saying that UCD is merely a means to an end, but I've learned to live with inconsistencies and duplication of effort, as part of the "experience". I have no right to expect courses to fit me personally.

For example: as a mature student, I really did need that 1st year Engineering Maths, because even though I had done most of it, it was 20+ years ago and in a different country, not straight from Irish Leaving Cert. (I had never touched Calculus in all that time - it is never required outside academia!) I did not need a courses on professional communication (report writing, presentations etc.) or computer skills: since I was in the workplace for 20 years before coming to UCD, that made them easy As for me.

So my advice would be: suck it up, think of 1st year as "filling in the gaps", and keep your eye on the prize. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Logic I really think you're being a bit hasty tbh - I did A-Levels too and got AABB and I'm finding the maths and introductory stuff easy too - but its only the second week!! I mean have you even been set any worksheets/problems yet? Cos I only got my first one the other day and although I'm following everything in the lectures and thinking 'oh i can do this' the problem sheets were a different story - it did exercise my brain.

What you got in your ALevels don't make a difference - there are 2 ppl on my course who got 4 A's and they, along with everyone else on the course, realise things are gonna get a lot tougher. Make the most of this introductory period - get to know Dublin, the people, the craic - it will toughen up. Plus a lot of the introductory stuff is to ease people back into the academic frame of mind - you can be sure that no-one going into first year at uni looked at any school work over the summer! 3 months is a long time to do no work and then get thrown in at the deep end!

Think about it - you haven't given the place enough time to grow on you - you've done so much and went through a lot to get here - it would be a waste to give up without really trying.

Advertisement