Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone not like UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

As someone in the final stages of a neuroscience degree I would like to give all the other posters an insight into the ACTUAL nature of the degree! First year - you absolutely do not have to do either the intro to chem or maths. Logic123 is saying that he had to do them because his A levels weren't acknowlegded in registration. So-what do you do when you have a problem with registration?? Go to the registration office!! If he had spoken to an actual person in the flesh instead of turning to boards.ie everytime he couldn't find the bathroom, he would have had that sorted in an instant. He would have been offered his choice of other class - may I add that options for first year neuro maths include the advanced maths stream for those doing a maths degree. So, if he'd actually bothered to speak up and do something about it this issue would have been sorted long ago and he could spend this semester getting to grips with some of the 'academic rigour' he so longs.

Secondly, first year being the first year is most likely going to be the least academically demanding year. Was this never considered?! Why not ask his Peer Mentor whom he undoubtedly has - all science students do - to see if he could go to some second or third year neuro lectures. Then he'd see it's not all so 'piss easy'. From my own experience there's nothing unacademic about UCD! The neuro degree is tough and demanding. A Peer Mentor is assigned to all science students and this person would have offered help with registration, social aspects etc...

Finally, the fact that this guy has the balls to think that the head of neuro has the responsibility to keep this demanding, immature so and so happy and that he now feels the head of neuro owes it to him to sort out his problems says to me that he should probably cop the hell on and start doing some things for himself. I think neuro would be better off without this guy! He is coming across as ungrateful, bitter and very immature. It was his problem not doing adequate research on UCD, his problem not speaking up when registration was on going and now he wants the head of neuro to accept responsibility for all his mistakes. Not very impressive and this guy should in my opinion leave, grow up and give a place in neuro to someone who would actually appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Troll thread.

Dude just explain you don't need to do the intros and take Horizons in something tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

wow lol, just talk about the type of people at UCD. Ididnt know that there were other option modules other than the ones given on the registration form. therefore i thought thats all i could do, becuase your given very little help with the registration process and when i did actually find out that there were other options availble it would have bee to late to change, so no its not my fault for not speaking up, its UCD's fault, i would have all been to happy to stay if i wasent offered s**ty first year modules

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

logic123 wrote: »
    so no its not my fault for not speaking up, its UCD's fault, i would have all been to happy to stay if i wasent offered s**ty first year modules

Point proven. What more can I say?! Logic you have to take responsibility - you're what 18? It's something you should know by now. How is it that I and practically everyone else knew sufficiently well how to register, on our first exposure to UCD? Just because we're from Ireland doesn't mean we've been to UCD before or know how the system works any better than you. This was all your fault. This is no problem of UCDs, no problem of the head of neuroscience. Accept it, you made a mistake and now you're holding others to ransom to fix it for you or you're gonna leave! When you see the word 'option' you should register that this implies you don't have to do it and there are other options to take their place. Anyway do yourself a favour and go somewhere more suited to your needs!

wow lol, just talk about the type of people at UCD. Ididnt know that there were other option modules other than the ones given on the registration form. therefore i thought thats all i could do, becuase your given very little help with the registration process and when i did actually find out that there were other options availble it would have bee to late to change, so no its not my fault for not speaking up, its UCD's fault, i would have all been to happy to stay if i wasent offered s**ty first year modules

I read UCD's 2010 prospectus on the bus yesterday (I mean the first few pages, not the whole ****ing thing) I swear they mention their new "horizons" course about 5000 different times. In fact they have a 3 page guide on what exactly Horizons is.

You can take whatever you want, honestly, your fully welcome to come join my "practical point of law" lecture and argue there, or go to whatever that politics lecture with all the mature students is and argue with them all cause they hate Private Schools and English people. You would love it.

• Advertisement

then why wasent the other options on my registration? my fault? fair play

lol another thing i didnt get the prospectus until 2 weeks after enrolling on the course LAWL my fault?

UCD will post you one absolutely free any time of the year.

Ok ok, i apologize if i have came across arrogant, immature or down right rude. I am sorry for that. But surely someone must understand my fustration.
    Naturally while i was registering i went with the information which was presented to me on the registration form. I looked at all the option modules which were available to me at the time. Now it wouldent let me carry on unless i selected ''introductory maths and chem'' at first i thought it a little odd but decided to go with what was given to me, initially thinking this was what i was required to choose. Now by time i got into my lectures, the people in there said ''biomolecular worlds'' or ''intergration and differential calculus'' now naturally i asked them what these where and they said option modules for people who had done this. Unfortunately these were not on my registration form. By time i had got round to actually wanting to sort this out all my lectures and tutorials were all fitted on my timetable, and by this time would have been probably to late to reconstruct a whole new timetable plan.

For me i feel as though this was partly UCD's fault for not acknowleging my A level results on the registration form. And yes, if i knew this i would of without doubt gone and sorted this. Unfortunatly i dont come from a well off backround, and so my thinking was if i am stuck with these option modules why pay a years worth of accomodation fees and travel fees to go over subjects you did at the age of 9. To me just didnt seem right. Now the tutor emailedme and apologised for the cock up. Now perhaps if the tutor is willing to rejigg my option modules then by all means i will come back and participate in this year. Which will be alot more inspiring to me then doing previously learnt material. Oviously i hope some of you can share my fustration and not flame me for this. Yes i did do my research, before applying and was looking so forward to coming to UCD, but unfortunaly the during registration alot of options were missed out on mine and because of this, it would be to late to change everything, again, unless the tutor is offering other option modules which are available.

I assumed that electives were where you could choose what you wanted to do, but the option modules were set in stone, hecne why i thought i was stuck with the introductory topics.

The obvious option is just stick it out, pick up you're easy credits for intro maths and intro chem.

Use you're extra time wisely. If you want to just attend the other lectures (nothing is stopping you), you won't be able to do the tests or hand up assignments but thats ok really. Join Mathsoc or something and do some challenging maths if that's what interests you.

Otherwise if you really like arguing (and you seem to) Tuesdays and / or Wednesdays are Lawsoc and / or L&H debate nights. Go along, meet some celebs get in a word or two and join them in the hotel bar afterwards.

Maidens debating is coming up, as are trials for the Worlds in Turkey. I don't know the ins and outs of maths and science socs as well but I am sure they do something.

And if all of that is not to your liking play sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

For me i feel as though this was partly UCD's fault for not acknowleging my A level results on the registration form.

You keep putting waaay too much emphasis on your A Level results. Yes, they're fab results, (better than mine) but they really don't matter when it comes to uni.

I mean, maths was my best subject, I did my 6 a level modules in just over a year and got an A with only one repeat - and I'm still struggling slightly with the work we've been set already - I'm doing MATH10040 and 10050 - even see if you can move to these classes if you have to do maths?

Having good a level results does not automatically mean you will get 1st Class honours, nor does having less than good results mean you'll barely scrape through.

You've left secondary school now, it's a whole new ball game - your A Levels are a thing of the past.

i agree, well im waiting for a response back from the tutor so i will see if he will have any suggestions. But i honestly dont mind coming back if he can offer me the chance to switch to other option modules avaliable. Like he said, if he dosent want to loose me, which he quoted then i think swapping modules could be an option, if this is the case, im more than happy to come back and kick ass in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

doesnt want to lose you?? wow.. you have a pretty inflated view of yourself.

do you honestly think that they care? there are plenty of other people out there who could fill your space.

unless of course, you are a wizard and magical powers, then i guess they would be kind of anxious to hold on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i agree, well im waiting for a response back from the tutor so i will see if he will have any suggestions. But i honestly dont mind coming back if he can offer me the chance to switch to other option modules avaliable. Like he said, if he dosent want to loose me, which he quoted then i think swapping modules could be an option, if this is the case, im more than happy to come back and kick ass in lectures.
    the lecturer is just being 'nice' to you 1st yr student,making you feel important did make you feel good ,right? =_= well of course you can argue that's the 'hypocrisy' way in irish people if you want....

if you are just angry that you got a stupid subject this year - like people said already go tell your programme office to see what can they do.

or,choose some challanging subjects (as your elective),like Maths Modelling,i think thats the tougest(most exciting) maths related subject in 1st yr.or,go ahead choose some 2nd/3rd/4th yr subject,i think you are not recommended to take those subject but you still can if you want.

i have friends in UK colleges(universities if you want the posh name) doing actuary/biomed/engineer/biotech/meds in london/leeds/newcastle/nottingham/Manchester - yes,we've talked about before, 1st yr is boring sh!t, but all the basic stuffs have to be done.

honestly,i dont think there is any harm to do some 'easy' subjects - you wont have that chance anymore after your 2nd yr,enjoy the easy p*ssy while you can, come back here to tell us how easy p*ssy it is after you got a 1st class 4 yrs later k?

speaking from a 4th yr Science student,just a 2c from your senior;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

the registration for modules closed yesterday, so how would it have been to late???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

leesmom wrote: »
    the registration for modules closed yesterday, so how would it have been to late???

i dunno but i somehow get the impression it will be UCD's fault he didn't know this before hand...
    never mind its posted everywhere,
    there are people devoted to answering student questions.
    through this all he still im guessin never contacted programme office,

Own up dude!

but how is it my fault, i didnt know there was anything wrong with the registration process when i did it, i thought the stuff presented to me was the stuff i had to do, and the elective was the only thing i could choose myself. It wasent until people started talking about all these option modules that i began to realise that so much must of been missed off my registration form.

but how is it my fault, i didnt know there was anything wrong with the registration process when i did it, i thought the stuff presented to me was the stuff i had to do, and the elective was the only thing i could choose myself. It wasent until people started talking about all these option modules that i began to realise that so much must of been missed off my registration form.

But, as stated, you realized things weren't in order ages ago. So why did you not contact the program office???

like people said its only been two weeks xD

you registered manually? or online? tbh i dont know the ins and outs of what you can and cant choose for neuroscience.
    for my course we have 4 core modules that we must complete, then two electives that we were allowed to chose from anywhere across the college, i assume thats not the case with neuroscience

• Advertisement

like people said its only been two weeks xD
    its only been two weeks but yet you made this decision in two weeks or less??:confused:

the electives and pre registered modules were ok, but for some reason i had alot of core modules missing, i didnt assume this at the time.

the electives and pre registered modules were ok, but for some reason i had alot of core modules missing, i didnt assume this at the time.
    well then obvioulsy you are not registered properly with the college or you wouldnt have core modules missing

wait ,hold on pre reg modules are your core ones

dude i have registered properly its all done, but why wasent the other core options on which i could have chosen, i only had the introductory stuff on

dude i have registered properly its all done, but why wasent the other core options on which i could have chosen, i only had the introductory stuff on
    dude? im a girl.
    look core means that they are compulsary, electives are what you choose to do:confused: your honestly confusing me now:confused:

im also confused lol ok

''introductory chem''
    ''introductory maths'' = option modules

there should have been i think another 4 or 5 unfortunatly i was only offered these two on reg online. so as you can see that was fustrating especially now that i know it was a mistake of theres

im also confused lol ok

''introductory chem''

there should have been i think another 4 or 5 unfortunatly i was only offered these two on reg online. so as you can see that was fustrating especially now that i know it was a mistake of theres
    would you not go to the actual office and sort it out??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

im also confused lol ok

''introductory chem''

Your department head can't do anything about that, go to the programme office. Boards is not the programme office. Boards can not fix your modules.

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »
    dude? im a girl.
    look core means that they are compulsary, electives are what you choose to do:confused: your honestly confusing me now:confused:

some courses have core options modules...
    its like, here is 8 subjects, you MUST do 4.

Due to his A levels he would of had to contacted the program office to not be made do basic maths etc...

What i don't get is this...
    In 2 weeks you fell in love,
    Decided UCD wasn't academic
    Moved home

Thats a lot for 2 weeks!

How could you not fit in a 5 min trip to program office???

In none of this time did you think to go see if things could be sorted out for you??
    Especially when people were telling you that you could do this??

Should contacting UCD not be the first port of call before running to home?

For someone who is obviously so smart based on A-levels :rolleyes: you didn't take a very smart approach!

Dude, you keep looking for UCD as a scapegoat for your rediculousness (is that a word?)
    What you should be saying is, is it possible to pick more challenging subjects? How do i go about picking these?

Have you yet contacted the program office?
    You need to do this!!
    Else just go home and stay there! honestly!
    Contacting the head of college to sort out a mundane program office problem? Thats actually an insult and reflects terribly on you!

He personally doesn't "want you" more then anyone else...
    If you drop at this stage, someone will take you place in minutes... If you stay and drop out later, you will be obliged to pay full fee's, he doesn't care then!

You aren't reflecting yourself very well at all...
    First time things got tough you run home instead of trying to fix it!
    Sound like a coddled child who needs to grow up and take responsibility for his own actions.

Contact program office!!

Contact details:

UCD Science Programme Office
    UCD Science Education and Research Centre
    Room 128
    University College Dublin
    Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland

Office Opening Hours NEW
    Term Time: 8.30am to 5.00pm
    Out of Term: 9.30am – 1.00pm and 2.00pm – 5.00pm

Tel: +353 1 716 2375
    Fax: +353 1 716 2439
    Email: science@ucd.ie

www.ucd.ie/science

You could easily say you need to change course, you are sorry you didn't do it before, but you didn't know there were other options. You are an A level student so you were just given set options and unquestionaly took them. You are very sorry for any trouble this causes.

Advertisement