Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Asylum on the PC

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the PC version is finally landing today.
    I've opted to get the PC version for the PhysX.

Has anyone picked it up yet? Any idea of prices?
    Its €50 on steam. Hopefully its a little cheaper in the shops.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

€50:eek: I got in on the 360 for €40 brand new and boxed. Would have thought that you could pick it up on steam for half that price.

Here it is for under €30

http://www.sendit.com/games/platforms/pc/batman-arkham-asylum/10035801.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Steam is a bit like that. Their prices can be all over the place for 3rd party games.

I'd like to pick it up today. I'll drive down to Gamestop later on.
    I've a graphics card to roast first tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Vyse wrote: »
    €50:eek: I got in on the 360 for €40 brand new and boxed. Would have thought that you could pick it up on steam for half that price.

Here it is for under €30

http://www.sendit.com/games/platforms/pc/batman-arkham-asylum/10035801.html

That's ridiculously cheap...

Though my pc is about to explode so I'd say I'll still end up getting the 360 version in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I picked up my CE (love the Batarang) today for €50, haven't played it yet, just waiting to get the patch from Live to enable the PhysX.

Just rang gamestop, €34.99. That'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does it play well with the mouse and keyboard ?

With the demo I opted for the xbox controller. Mouse and keyboard is okay but it's much better with a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

5uspect wrote: »
    I've opted to get the PC version for the PhysX.

Ah fubar. Can't believe all the stuff that gets removed from the game when you disable Physx. nVidia must of paid them off. They could of put all that stuff in the game without Physx :mad:

Was looking forward to playing this on the PC, now I don't know if I should just get an nVidia card first. Can you get dedicated Physx cards anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Picked it up in HMV in Henry st. for €39.99 earlier.

Yeah, a lot of that stuff could have probably been done with havoc et al. through software.

I don't know if you can still get PhysX cards. Usually people SLi something like a GTX260 with a 9600GT for decicated physics.

It runs fine on my single GTX275 tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Arrived today from Sendit, installing now, 9gigs z0mg!

I read somewhere that the game comes with some 260/270 nVidia cards, possibly only a USA thing though, check amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Is there some agreement that games utilizing Physx cards have to include banners when ever possible? It was the same with Mirror's Edge - here look, some banners to justify your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Where do I change the resolution in the game? I looks like it's at 640x480 at the moment and there's no video settings like there was in the demo, wtf?
    Wait nevermind, they're in the launcher and not the game.

Also, Games For Windows Live is a slow updating pile of crap!
    Steam, it isn't.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Picked it up in Gamestop for €34.99 today. I see Xtra Vision had it for €40.00. Both of them only had 1 copy of it each in the Athlone branches. Game got 2 copies of it and both where sold by lunchtime today.

Not yet tried it, will report later on. Lack of Pyscho Power is abit meh though.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Where do I change the resolution in the game? I looks like it's at 640x480 at the moment and there's no video settings like there was in the demo, wtf?
    Wait nevermind, they're in the launcher and not the game.

Also, Games For Windows Live is a slow updating pile of crap!
    Steam, it isn't.

Slow? ****ing 11kb/s ffs.

ahem, anyway. right click on the Shortcut and pick launcher for the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Tusky wrote: »
    Does it play well with the mouse and keyboard ?
    Tbh Tusky, I've been playing for the last few hours or so and it plays fine. I would imagine though, that if you're used to playing on a console you'll prefer a controller.

Azza wrote: »
    Lack of Pyscho Power is abit meh though.

You need help man.

Just as a note. Decided to see if I could run this on my HTPC which has an nVidia card, but much lower specs:

Vista 32bit
    E6600 C2D
    4GB PC2-6400
    8800GT overclocked

It runs ok with the latest nVidia driver and physx set to high @ 720p

I have every other setting enabled and set to maximum except for AA which is set to 4x.

Getting an average of ~30fps with a maximum of ~60fps. In game there is some slight stuttering on occasion. For the most part it runs fine though.

Have you tried the benchmark?

I'm getting around 50 average with PhysX on normal with peak and min of 70 and 30.
    FPS doubles with physX off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I had trouble running this with PhysX until I shut off Vsync and AA. It runs and looks fantastic. I spent about 5 minutes just running though some steam just to see it flow around me. :D

AA quite heavy alright. I ran it with it disabled and PhysX off at 1680 x 1050 everything else maxed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=91334&stc=1&d=1253387122

PhysX on high drop it right down!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else finding their speeds for downloading on Steam painfully slow? I'm getting 100-150Kb/s on a 10Mb line (that's functioning find and dandy at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone else finding their speeds for downloading on Steam painfully slow? I'm getting 100-150Kb/s on a 10Mb line (that's functioning find and dandy at the moment).

Change your location to UK.

Ireland has **** servers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It already was! :) But hmm, maybe will try switching to Ireland, or another EU location...

I think Belgium is the Irish downloaders country of choice. I think it was there that people were recommending before.

5uspect wrote: »
    PhysX on high drop it right down!

Still, the physx really does add a lot to it imo. Even just moving through the spiderweb. I couldn't imagine the levels without the smoke or steam.

Is anyone else, whenever they see smoke, using Batmans stun move (where he spins around throwing out his cape) to cause the smoke dissipate. It really is some of the best smoke effects I've ever seen in a game.

I bought this yesterday and I have to say its one of the top games I have ever played.
    The intro when croc appeared gave me chills.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Still, the physx really does add a lot to it imo. Even just moving through the spiderweb. I couldn't imagine the levels without the smoke or steam.

Is anyone else, whenever they see smoke, using Batmans stun move (where he spins around throwing out his cape) to cause the smoke dissipate. It really is some of the best smoke effects I've ever seen in a game.

My favorite example is in the benchmarking utility where the security guard is kicking the smoke as he walks and it billows ahead of his foot.

My one gripe is that like the 360 version the camera is too close to Bats as you walk. Apparently the PS3 version pulls the camera back a bit similar to when you run. This makes it difficult to see some of the physics effects. Hopefully someone will figure a way to mod it.

You're right tho, I'd rather have a few jaggies than no physics. Much more eye candy for a similar FPS hit.
    I've finally gone with no AA and High PhysX.

I also noticed that if you stand under something that's sparking, the sparks bounce off you. It's not an amzing thing to happen, but it's still pretty cool. :D

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    My favorite example is in the benchmarking utility where the security guard is kicking the smoke as he walks and it billows ahead of his foot.

The extra effects really come into their own when you are fighting a bunch of enemies, smoke is being blown around, papers are being kicked up into the air and tiles on the ground are breaking when you slam someone down.

Only place I noticed my FPS dropped way down was when I was going above ground at the end of the first area (after following the whiskey trail), all the smoke, webbing and foliage killed my FPS.

Advertisement