Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Asylum on the PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have a thing for Harley Quinn now though. Damn they did her well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, despite my gfx card (9600GT) supposedly supporting this PhysX nonsense, I can see no signs of it in action ingame; I certainly don't see any of the over-hanging drapes in the bigger arenas. In fact Im getting some bugs with leaves sitting "frozen" midair when outside the Asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, despite my gfx card (9600GT) supposedly supporting this PhysX nonsense, I can see no signs of it in action ingame; I certainly don't see any of the over-hanging drapes in the bigger arenas. In fact Im getting some bugs with leaves sitting "frozen" midair when outside the Asylum.
    Have you turned it on? You have to go into the launcher and select settings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Here's a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKcoF4Dcnc&feature=player_embedded

You will also need to enable PhysX from the nvidia control panel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »
    Have you turned it on? You have to go into the launcher and select settings.
    No, I thought I'd turn the game on & think really positive thoughts about PhysX :rolleyes: Course I turned the setting on ;) :P

Though hadn't checked the setting in the Nvidia Control panel was on, must have a gawp, cheers 5uspect :) Judging by that video, I very definitely don't have it turned on. Though it must be said that the game isn't exactly lessened by PhysX's absence

• Advertisement

I wish they would give more bad guys in a group. Either that or make them tougher, the fights are always over too quick. I never get to enjoy all the combos.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I wish they would give more bad guys in a group. Either that or make them tougher, the fights are always over too quick. I never get to enjoy all the combos.

Have a go at the challenges so.
    The first one throws increasing numbers of mofos at you.

5uspect wrote: »
    Have a go at the challenges so.
    The first one throws increasing numbers of mofos at you.

Ooooooh.

Didnt even see that option.

You can also download a few more from Live, same DLC as on the xboc and PS3.
    I think they need to be unlocked first tho.

Ok, well PhysX is definitely on at the Nvidia control panel, and playing Batman has just caused my first core dump in years. Jaysus where was this game made, Russia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok, well PhysX is definitely on at the Nvidia control panel, and playing Batman has just caused my first core dump in years. Jaysus where was this game made, Russia?

I'd say the core dump is from your gfx card overheating. A 9600GT is not going to be able to handle physx and running the game. Where you even getting usable frames with physx enabled?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I went through the entire game without a single issue, or any sort of bug. Something that is quite rare for a PC game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Azza wrote: »
    I went through the entire game without a single issue, or any sort of bug. Something that is quite rare for a PC game.
    Have you played many pc games lately. Most of the ones I've played worked fine.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'd say the core dump is from your gfx card overheating. A 9600GT is not going to be able to handle physx and running the game. Where you even getting usable frames with physx enabled?
    Nope it's running fine - like I said I have been spotting no signs of the PhysX, the only thing that comes close would be the odd bit of rubble when i land on the pavement after a glide, but there's no sign of the leaves, rustling paper or other stuff like that. I'll switch "off" the setting in game, or at least reduce the setting anyway & see how that goes. Like I said it's not like the addition of PhysX actually adds anything useful anyway.

They reccommend at least a GTX260 for normal PhysX. For high PhysX they recommend at least a GTX260 plus something like a 9600/9800GT just for the PhysX calculation (or a single GTX295).

They list this in the Launcher window iirc.

I have two 8800GTs and a PhysX card. I can run everything at max apart from AA and its averaging about 50fps.

Perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Have a 8800GTX running PhysX at normal @ 1768 x 992, AA 16xQ and everything else set max and no problems. I can't run it @ 1920 x 1080 with PhysX on but with if off I can run it at max.

Best game of the year for me so far, can't wait for the next one :D

Is there a ground hit?

I know there is a ground takedown but that takes time, is there a particular hit that will hurt a person lying down.
    It always stops my combos when everyone is on the ground, and poncy batman can only seem to hit the when they are standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Shift+MB2 is a combo takedown I think?

I finished the Normal difficulty and got up to Bane on Hard, bloody hell it's tough, countering never works when you want it to.
    Shock and Awe Extreme Challenge also, yaaaaaargh MOVE you slow millionaire vigilante!

I just noticed last night that not only do batarangs deflect those PhysX banners about when you hit them but they actually tear and cut them. I was even able to cut them entirely in half which looked bloody amazing. The torn half hung down and shifted the centre of gravity of the banner and then fell down when the final bit was cut.

This could make for a very interesting game mechanic for the future. Imagine a game with a character climbing a wide rope ladder/cloth banner etc and you have to watch how it rips as you're attacked by other players cutting the ropes/cloth.

EDIT: It's similar to what you see here at 1:15:

• Advertisement

Yeah the physx effects in the PC version of Mirrors Edge are pretty good also.

Yeah the physx effects in the PC version of Mirrors Edge are pretty good also.

Gah; all this malarky of PhysX has just made my (otherwise competent) computer feel creaky. Sometimes I hate PC gaming :D:(

Sometimes I hate PC gaming :D:(

I don't hate PC gaming, I hate the BS between nVidia and AMD.

It's creating the stupid game exclusivity you get with consoles. Instead of making a game exclusive to only one console, they make features of the game exclusive to only 1 make of graphics card.

Thing is nVidia just lost themselves a sale. I was going to buy a 9800GT to use as a dedicated physx card with my AMD 4870x2. But now that I find out nVidia purposefully disables physx in systems that don't have all nVidia cards I won't be bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't hate PC gaming, I hate the BS between nVidia and AMD.

It's creating the stupid game exclusivity you get with consoles. Instead of making a game exclusive to only one console, they make features of the game exclusive to only 1 make of graphics card.

Thing is nVidia just lost themselves a sale. I was going to buy a 9800GT to use as a dedicated physx card with my AMD 4870x2. But now that I find out nVidia purposefully disables physx in systems that don't have all nVidia cards I won't be bothering.

Unless you go to the 180 drivers which work.

Unless you go to the 180 drivers which work.

They aren't optimized man, not optimized. Everyone knows you need the drivers with the largest number to play the newest games.

Seriously though, yeah you could use those old drivers, but the likes of Mirrors Edge and Batman run horribly on them when physx is enabled.

I believe the community is currently working on a way around this for Windows 7, but it's barely in Alpha at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Great game! Played it on PC with Xbox 360 controller - great to lounge back with your feet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rynaldo

Its awesome.

So how are people finding this? For me the game has been mysteriously quite stable of late, no crashes or core dumps. Touch wood. I'm getting the PhysX effects in all their glory (ironically by turning down the setting), so that's all fine and funky.

The game itself is great; there's such a great mix of genres you never really tire of performing the various "batman"y tasks, whether it's hacking the gates, grappling your way around the large maps or just duffing up some goons. The fighting's so slick & smooth, it doesn't have that sense of being a joined up sequence of animations. The various counters Batman does on his enemies (such as grabbing a leg mid-kick) really add to this.

Oh who else was like me and swore out loud when
    the game "crashed", only to laugh when realising it was a Scarecrow hallucination? What a great move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That bit had me screaming at the machine. I was just about to hit the reset button out of anger when I realised something was up. B*STARDS!!!! :D

Advertisement