Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Asylum on the PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah me too. Those bits were great, preying on your fear and all that.

Apparently the new beta nvidia drivers give an extra 8% proformance boost with PhysX installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh who else was like me and swore out loud when
    the game "crashed", only to laugh when realising it was a Scarecrow hallucination? What a great move.
    As somebody who thought his PC's days of crashes were over, my heart sank, but then, what's this... the joker bringing in Batman?? OMG it's Scarecrow playing tricks with my mind again! I could have stood up and applauded! Genius. I LOVE when games flirck with the player like that. Oh and I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but in that sequence, when the joker shoots you in the head and you 'die', doesn't the game give you a standard 'combat tip' in the loading screen that says, 'use the middle analogue stick to avoid joker's gunshot'...? LOL! Middle stick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As somebody who thought his PC's days of crashes were over, my heart sank, but then, what's this... the joker bringing in Batman?? OMG it's Scarecrow playing tricks with my mind again! I could have stood up and applauded! Genius. I LOVE when games flirck with the player like that. Oh and I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but in that sequence, when the joker shoots you in the head and you 'die', doesn't the game give you a standard 'combat tip' in the loading screen that says, 'use the middle analogue stick to avoid joker's gunshot'...? LOL! Middle stick!
    Yeah, that's right; you "die" after Joker shoots you and you get a standard game over screen, complete with a tip; I even thought to myself "for fúcks sake, they could have said I had to do that". Then pressed "retry" and lo & behold, I literally rise from the grave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I have to admit that for a second or two I had to stop to try and figure out where the middle analogue stick was. I said it before, I'll say it again: B*STARDS!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

**** ye and yer ****in spoilers, I've not played it yet as it don't like my pc :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    **** ye and yer ****in spoilers, I've not played it yet as it don't like my pc :mad:
    Haha, this isn't really a spoiler, you just couldn't resist looking, could you? You're weak! ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finished it on hard the other night with all the Riddler stuff complete. Took me long enough. Sodding great game, I will happily buy a sequel. The atmosphere is perfect, it just feels so much like Animated Series Batman at its peak, all dark and psychological and badass. The Scarecrow sections were beautiful (
    Wandering about Arkham Mansion to have the location flash up suddenly as Wayne Manor was a definite WTF moment
    ), the voice acting is great (<3 Kevin Conroy as Batman, and Mark Hamill is probably the best Joker ever created), and, well, it's just badass.

Want more pls.

+1 for Mark Hammill. He just gives it his all, and how could you not love that gloriously sadistic laugh his Joker does? Just the right mixture of clown & menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Did I ever tell you the one about the man who came home to find his wife... A paraplegic? Hahahahahaha!"

Finally got this to play nice with my pc. It didn't like the fact that I'd moved My Documents to a seperate partion D: and crashed everytime it came to the first save to disk. The way around it was to right click My Documents and set the location back to default on C:, select No when it asks if You want to move files. Then run the game. Afterwards right click My Documents and change the location back to the other partion, mine was on my D: drive, when it asks if You want to move files select Yes this time. There'll be files added to the Eidos folder that allow You to save. Hope this helps someone else as it bugged the shít outa me for 2 weeks of trying everything.

Epic game, the characters and gameplay are amazing. I'm really enjoying this one.

• Advertisement

Interesting news
    http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html
    A patch to let you run an ATI card with a PhysX nvidia card on Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm getting the PhysX effects in all their glory (ironically by turning down the setting), so that's all fine and funky.

What settings were turned down? I had the physx effects in the demo but the full game seems to be hating me.

What settings were turned down? I had the physx effects in the demo but the full game seems to be hating me.
    The "PhysiX" slider; my options are either "Off", "Normal", "High" (if I recall) and by setting back down to "normal" as opposed to the high setting, I stopped getting core dumps and crashes *touch wood*

Gah; I should have known! It's the old "good game has bad ending" syndrome:
    When Joker injected himself with the Titan formula I did roll my eyes a little, but to then be greeted by a phenomenally easy boss battle straight out of something like BioShock? Well, that was a bit disappointing to say the least. We then get a short video of the classic "reset button" variety and all the criminals go back in their cages. Blah. It doesn't ruin the rest of the game by any stretch, but it did feel like a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lads, where are the Physx settings in the game launcher, I cant see em anywhere. All I know is that its enabled in the Nvidia Ctrl Panel.

Im getting awful sh!t with this game. Every so often the game freezes and the sounds stutters. I cant do anything bar reboot. From the forums it seems theres an issue with some sound cards. Im using onboard sound and the driver is the latest. Also got the latest graphics drivers.

I think it could be physx strain / overheating as Im running all on max (cept for AA which is off) and getting good frame rates. My card seems to be up to it but its obviously abit old and maybe overburdend.

At the bottom.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=92928&stc=1&d=1255174817

Perhaps turn your hardware acceleration down in your audio settings.
    I remember thins being an issue for me in the past but may no longer apply.

I've a similar system to you but I'm running a GTX275. I have PhysX on High with AA off and it runs silky smooth.

8800GT not good enough for playing the game and running PhysX, My young fella's pc has one and can't run PhysX without a slideshow, had to turn it off. What Nvidia are hoping You'd do is buy a GTX260 or better, add it to Your pc to run the game and run PhysX on the 8800GT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ok from looking at the pic, im pretty sure I dont have that Physx option on the bottom. Im not at home to check it at the moment but will do later. Also I thought my card would struggle with the game but the fact that its coping easily with it is leading me to think it may not be enabled at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the graphics settings in the demo.
    Using the default settings on my machine is nowhere near playable anyway.
    Probably unplayable even on lowest. First game I've seen that wouldn't run ok if so.

Right click on the desktop shortcut and pick launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads, where are the Physx settings in the game launcher, I cant see em anywhere. All I know is that its enabled in the Nvidia Ctrl Panel.

Im getting awful sh!t with this game. Every so often the game freezes and the sounds stutters. I cant do anything bar reboot. From the forums it seems theres an issue with some sound cards. Im using onboard sound and the driver is the latest. Also got the latest graphics drivers.

I think it could be physx strain / overheating as Im running all on max (cept for AA which is off) and getting good frame rates. My card seems to be up to it but its obviously abit old and maybe overburdend.

Download the 1.1 patch. Sorts it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

should Physx work on a single 9800gtx+
    it crashed as soon as i enabled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    8800GT not good enough for playing the game and running PhysX, My young fella's pc has one and can't run PhysX without a slideshow

What resolution where you running at? I'm running it at 720p with PhysX set to high and everything else maxed (except maybe AA, I think it's 1 notch down) and it runs fine on my 8800GT, getting a consistent 40 to 50 fps.

The new nvidia beta driver (191.07) are also supposed to increase performance a fair bit, haven't tried them yet myself though.

It's out of Beta now and is WHQL.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What resolution where you running at? I'm running it at 720p with PhysX set to high and everything else maxed (except maybe AA, I think it's 1 notch down) and it runs fine on my 8800GT, getting a consistent 40 to 50 fps.

The new nvidia beta driver (191.07) are also supposed to increase performance a fair bit, haven't tried them yet myself though.

1280x1024 as he's only got a 17" monitor, using latest driver at time (2 weeks ago). He's cleared it now so it don't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Is there a way to speed up the camera movement when using mouse/keyboard on the PC version? Feels like you have to move the mouse miles to look up or down, kind of annoying.

Anything under movement controls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

5uspect wrote: »
    Anything under movement controls?

No, can't find an axis setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mouse sensitivity? I can't remember the settings so I'll have a look tonight.

• Advertisement

Advertisement