Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching networks, how long should it take?

• 18-09-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

I picked up an iPhone yesterday and brought my old meteor pay-as-you-go number to o2 bill-pay.

The number still hasn't been ported over and I've been using my old meteor phone since. Anybody know how long it should take for o2 get get control of my number from meteor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I ported from Meteor to O2 a few weeks back and it took just over an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If there are no problems with either networks' porting systems or any porting backlogs, a port can take as little as 10 minutes, however, the official line, as Captain Morgan mentioned, is two hours. Once two hours have past since your port was submitted, you should contact the network you're porting to, i.e. O2, and ask them to look into it. O2's porting team are very efficient, so they should be able to resolve your issue today; provided there's no major issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Thanks guys. Rang up Customer Care and they had no record of me having an account at all! Walked down to the Grafton St o2 store and they had me sorted out in minutes

Dermo wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Rang up Customer Care and they had no record of me having an account at all! Walked down to the Grafton St o2 store and they had me sorted out in minutes

Glad to hear it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

should have taken 2h to switch from o2 to Meteor, but took 5 days and quite a few phonecoalls to O2 and meteor. Bloody amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

wow, we should sue them for false marketing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

rubicon99 wrote: »
    wow, we should sue them for false marketing!!!

Where do they 'market' how long a port should take???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

A few things that some people should remember is that porting was brought in by ComReg and they established the policies and procedures that all mobile networks must follow; or face being penalised. If a mobile networks' website states that a port normally takes up to 2 hours, then this is the time frame that ComReg have outlined for mobile networks to operate within. This is the reason why mobile networks will not look into any porting issue if 2 hours have not lapsed, as they're not required to.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that mobile networks' porting teams check incoming and outgoing ports on a real-time basis, so if a port is stuck, they will know about it and attempt to push it through their systems. They don't want backlogs anymore than we as consumers want backlogs.

Advertisement