Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Irish Economic Forum At Farmleigh

Options
  • 18-09-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I heard that the C.E.O of Quantas was one of those invited to share his views on how we can dig ourselves out of the hole.

Just curious,was Michael O'Leary invited?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0918/forum.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

spadder wrote: »
    I heard that the C.E.O of Quantas was one of those invited to share his views on how we can dig ourselves out of the hole.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0918/forum.html

Looks like pure nonsense and a PR stunt to be honest.
    Havent they had these fora before? No one managed to spot the impending doom in them so I dont see how the big knobs will be able to put forward anything too groundbreaking to improve things.

O Leary probably spotted it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'd still love to hear his rant though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭squonk

Heard this on the news this morning. I can see a benefit to members of the business community getting together for a think tank, but celebs as well? Seriously... it beggars belief! Micky Martin deserves a good kicking for even touting this nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this isn't what mcwiliaims was always talking talking big wigs who are already ceo's of massive companies he wanted to attract people a bit of experience from abroad coming back to start up a new company afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy said the international perception was that Ireland's economic problems were worse than they are.

You sure about that, Charlie? Cos I reckon we're really in the ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Geldof was there too. So, I wonder how long before he uses this to take more money from here to send abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I liked McWilliams reposte to O'Learys comments - namely if he had listened to the naysaysers like himself nearly 20 years ago Ryanair wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote: »
    I liked McWilliams reposte to O'Learys comments - namely if he had listened to the naysaysers like himself nearly 20 years ago Ryanair wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans.

the was silly, that just indulges the false stereotype of Ireland as nation of begrudgers, we're just sceptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland is a nation of begrudgers though. Scepticsm can be postive ie you pause to look for the shortcomings in a proposition. That doesn't happen here pity it doesn't or a few very expensive failures might have been avoided. No the Irish just have the dark cloud over them - whatever it is it'll fail. Not a surprise, people have been conditioned by decades of poor performace at the highest levels of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

mike65 wrote: »
    . Not a surprise, people have been conditioned by decades of poor performace at the highest levels of the state.
    Plus seeing those who take more risk getting paid less than those who take no risk ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

spadder wrote: »

He said he had more to do than go to that talking shop, or words to that effect...and that they were going to go to bl***y Croke Park on the Sunday...he had more to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i wonder what the CEO,s of these major companies would think of unvouched expenses bringing the misses on 1st class flights etc.
    a company i used to work for the VP for EMEA used to fly with ryanair and even when i travelled all expenses incured had to have receits.

in my veiw its just another talking shop the TD,s should look a bit closed to home

Advertisement