Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ie boards Blackout Cup II - Will we do it?

• 18-09-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Discussion and vote on whether or not we should have another ie boards Blackout Cup.

Considering this forum is borderline dead, the Jeff's Journal is gone and the website hasn't been updated for ages, this competition doen't seem to be particurly popular, so possibly its worth voting on its existence, talk about it etc.

Should we have another ie boards Blackout Cup? 15 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    MarVeLdave13FrankiestyleeOrizio[Jackass]anonymous_joejohnnysmackOisinjmjprenderdaveharnettCoDy1eoferrallLeadershipdreamer_ireJohnButler 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

No
    I think we should go ahead with it. It's great to have an interest in the friendly games that are set up as opposed to just going through the WNWIM motions.

It was a shame about Jeff's Journo, what happened there ?
    I think people used to enjoy reading that.

This forum gets a little more action than the official Irish off-site one.

Perhaps we just need to get individuals to commit to doing certain things. I am definitely available to do anything within my capabilites. (not so good on web-site stuff).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

No
    What we need, keeping in mind I'm happy to continue to do the adminstrative stuff:

-Someone dedicated to run the website, and do any techie stuff. This is important, as I'm not great on this technica work. 1-2 volunteers needed here.

-Someone to continue with the journal - 2 volunteers defintely.

-More posts from more entrants on this forum in general.

I think, if we can get a few volunteers for one season for the above jobs we'll be ok.

No
    Put me down for one of the journal slots.

BTW I did spend 3 hours or so writing up previews of the first knock-out phase last week. Unfortunately they were all based on the provisional fixtures that I had listed which proved to be not the actual fixtures !!

Ah well, at least I know those teams inside out now if I need to play any of them !!

No
    BTW, I think any entrants to next years cup should have to pledge to make some sort of an effort to play competitively.

Playing "b" teams at WNWIM in every game just doesn't cut it for me.
    If you just want to increase your squads CSR, arrange your own bloody friendlies !!

No offense. (ok so a little)

No
    jprender wrote: »
    BTW, I think any entrants to next years cup should have to pledge to make some sort of an effort to play competitively.

Playing "b" teams at WNWIM in every game just doesn't cut it for me.
    If you just want to increase your squads CSR, arrange your own bloody friendlies !!

No offense. (ok so a little)

This doesn't bother me really, people can play what ever team they like. Its their own team, their own decision, plus many of us in extremely tough leagues and our hands are tied.

• Advertisement

No
    It bothers me somewhat.

But as you say, managers do what they like.

I think half the challenge is trying to outplay your opponent. Guessing what intensity and tactics they are gonna play and what you should counter with.
    It gets boring otherwise.

It is a cup comp after all.

Maybe it is just cos I am in a piss-easy league this year and haven't had many competitive games at all. I am sick of playing bots and the human equivalents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

No
    I say keep it up. We dont need to have it on as big a scale as this year, just the active people on the forum. Makes friendlies a lot more fun :D

No
    Oisinjm wrote: »
    I say keep it up. We dont need to have it on as big a scale as this year, just the active people on the forum. Makes friendlies a lot more fun :D

I agree. I would like to see a smaller comp between the active posters also. Maybe 2 groups of 5 or 6, played home and away. Then the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

No
    A smaller cup would probably work better as we saw there were a good few who didn't accept fixtures which delayed the KO of the tournament and also if i am not mistaken some people did not accept their knockout fixtures?

I think anyone who signed up and then failed to accept fixtures should be excluded from the next one - unless they had a good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

No
    Id like to see it continuing for one. Unfortunately i dont have any time to spare to help out which is a shame because i would enjoy it, especially as a guest writer on the journal!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

No
    I say keep it going to be honest. If it's ready to go from the start of the next season and then kicks off maybe round 4 it should be cool, I wouldn't start off straight from the off.

I'd be up for doing more journal work. I kinda self imploded last time because I was facing a load of journalism work from a more official source... next time I'm sure I'll be looking for something to distract me from my multiple thesiseseseses :D

Is there any way we can get a "cup" for the cup? Like a lil graphic that is displayed on the winner's profile? That'd be definitely something worth playing for, at the moment we're just playing for the other members of the forum.

No
    If we can get someone dedicated to do the website then I'll be happy to get a new cup up and running.

No
    Orizio wrote: »
    If we can get someone dedicated to do the website then I'll be happy to get a new cup up and running.

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

No
    Happy to help but am seriously a technophobe so not sure I'd be much use with the website. Happy to help with anything else that's needed tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

No
    Orizio wrote: »
    Anyone?
    Yeah, go on then. If people can supply content, i'll put it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

No
    Count me in again (Lunster), I promice to be more involved this time around in the forum.

I am a noob at the game though and unfortunately with my job I work strange hours so I cannot be relied on to support the backend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

No
    I've enjoyed it. Gotten back into Blackout lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

If you do another season, I would like to be included.

Thanks,

Eire
    Killarney RFC

No
    Eireannach wrote: »
    If you do another season, I would like to be included.

Thanks,

Eire
    Killarney RFC

Check the forum over the next week for the sign-up thread.

Advertisement