Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV "Sale"

Options
  • 18-09-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Last week I was in HMV Cork and noticed the boxsets for Six feet Under all priced at €22.99 each. I had been meaning to pick them up but held off a little while.

So yesterday while browsing I decided to get these. However this time there was a purple sale sticker on them and they were now priced at €35.99 each!

I'm just curious as to the legality of this? I will also be questioning their head office on this as surely this type of thing cannot be allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Last week I was in HMV Cork and noticed the boxsets for Six feet Under all priced at €22.99 each. I had been meaning to pick them up but held off a little while.

So yesterday while browsing I decided to get these. However this time there was a purple sale sticker on them and they were now priced at €35.99 each!

I'm just curious as to the legality of this? I will also be questioning their head office on this as surely this type of thing cannot be allowed.

The only legal issue here would be that the product was sold for a period of time before the reduction could be advertised.

They could promote it as was €35.99 now €22.99 but it would have to have been €35.99 or greater for a period of 90 days I think.

as for putting up the price nothing wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh well, lesson learned then, they can be different prices in different campaigns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

krudler wrote: »
    Oh well, lesson learned then, they can be different prices in different campaigns
    to have any item on "sale" and giving a before sale price it must have been for sale at the previous/normal price for a period of at least 28days before it can be reduced or in this case raised in price.

they have not stated that there is any reduction in price associated with the sale, merely that it is "on sale"

however if there was a general 10% or 25% off sale in the store these items could be deemed to be included by virtue of having the sale sticker in which case they should be on sale at 10-25% more for the previous 29days

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to have any item on "sale" and giving a before sale price it must have been for sale at the previous/normal price for a period of at least 28days before it can be reduced or in this case raised in price.

they have not stated that there is any reduction in price associated with the sale, merely that it is "on sale"

however if there was a general 10% or 25% off sale in the store these items could be deemed to be included by virtue of having the sale sticker in which case they should be on sale at 10-25% more for the previous 29days

HMV's sales are always like this,they just replace the stickers at the front and back,they have sale campaigns every month and some of them just run together, I worked there for years so have plenty of experience changing the stickers

Advertisement