Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a cable upstairs

Options
  • 18-09-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi, I want to put a phone point in a room upstairs, it's directly above where the eircom ntu is (just inside the front door), would it be possible to put run the cable up through the wall, through the floor and into the room?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

If this was a stud wall, you could just make a small hole in the wall above your eircom phone point and then drop a plumb line (a long piece of string with a weight on the end of it) down through from the floor above, tie it to the new cable and pull it upstairs to where you want to place the new socket. Watch out for other wires in the wall cavity like electric and alarm wires that you might snag. However I suspect that this is an outside wall and so you'd probably have to drill right through the block cavity wall and insulation to do this which is a lot of trouble.

The other option is to just get a line splitter and run an extension cable from the existing phone point upstairs by tacking it to skirting boards or hiding it under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

there is another way. have done it for ppl before in houses. do u have carpet or finished floors upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

If this was a stud wall, you could just make a small hole in the wall above your eircom phone point and then drop a plumb line (a long piece of string with a weight on the end of it) down through from the floor above, tie it to the new cable and pull it upstairs to where you want to place the new socket.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking I could do.
    there is another way. have done it for ppl before in houses. do u have carpet or finished floors upstairs?

TBH, can't remember Maz, it's a rented property so I'm not 100% - I think it's finished floors in that room.

I know i'll have to get permission before I do anything eitherway, dropping it through the wall is the least intrusive (and shortest) way i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Or you could get a cordless phone set with 2 phones and the base unit downstairs. Saves cabling.
    A stud wall will have timbers going across as well so would be quite difficult to drop a wire through.

Yeah, if it was just the phone that'd be the job but I want to have a socket up there for the modem, I plan on using the box room as a work space and I'll have the PC up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Then get a wireless router and plug it in downstairs. The broadband connection should always be the first point of connection anyways because the risk of picking up interference (and thus a poor data rate) increases when you join cables.

The cordless phone route would also work well if the house isn't too big.

Then get a wireless router and plug it in downstairs. The broadband connection should always be the first point of connection anyways because the risk of picking up interference (and thus a poor data rate) increases when you join cables.

I'd rather not if I can avoid it, the hall's cramped as it is, plus I don't have a wireless card on the desktop and I need to connect a hard drive via an ethernet cable to the router - it'd just be messy... it'll have to do though if I can't get a cable up to the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

You also have the option of a set of homeplugs...

Advertisement