Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast pork not sure what to do with it.

Options
  • 18-09-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I mistakenly order a rather large (4lb) pork joint and as there are two of us I need to cook it in such a way as to use it for sandwiches and stir fry etc...

I was going to do a pulled pork type cook but they seem a little complicated.

I am not a huge fan of simply roast pork so am think along the line of chineese pork recipes.

I have:
    Ginger
    Brown sugar
    Honey
    Soya sauce
    Worcester sauce
    Paprika
    Cider Vinegar

I know there are long cooking times for many pork dishes so that is not a problem. I have some other bits and pieces but I think they generally cover what I have.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've used the following marinade on pork steak and it's really nice:

100ml (4 fl oz) soy sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Pulled pork is easy if you have a slow cooker but it does take hours.
    Roast meats freeze very well so none will go to waste, it's actually a good idea to buy a big piece.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Make an apple sauce to go with it. Very easy, cooking apple, stewed with a little brown sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Ended up doing pulled pork but didn't take as long as I had read.

It tasted good and was certainly cooked.

I put 2lbs pork in a casserole dish with a lid
    added
    2 tea spoons of brown sugar
    2 Heated honey
    100 ml chicken stock
    100 ml cider vinegar
    1 table spoon ground ginger
    2 table spoons of mild grainy mustard
    Cooked for 3 hours gas mark 4
    Drained, fat removed and pork pulled a part
    Added
    2 teaspoons of heated honey
    1 table spoon sesame oil
    freshly ground peper
    Cooked on gas mark 1 for an hour stirring occasionally in a casserole dish without a lid.

It tasted great and I don't see why it would need any longer it was well cooked after the 3 hours

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement