Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia sleepwalking into population disaster.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Bofore the century is out australia will truly be asian, not just geographically, if ya know what I mean!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well its just a fact of life. The states will probably be hispanic but neither of these are bad things IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

jank wrote: »
    Well its just a fact of life. The states will probably be hispanic but neither of these are bad things IMO.

:rolleyes: IMO, they are.....very bad.

I would hate to see the asians outnumber white Australians tbh, I can see it happening and i dont like it.

Why is that a bad thing? It is not as if they have lived there for thousands of years. Personally I think its a bad thing that white people outnumber Aborigines.

Youre a real hero jank.

Something needs to be done about the Aborigines alright. They are a mess at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Youre a real hero jank.

Something needs to be done about the Aborigines alright. They are a mess at the mo.

If by 'at the mo', you mean the last century.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If by 'at the mo', you mean the last century.

If someone stole your children you would hit the bottle too man!

I am still waiting for you to explain why it is a bad thing though.

I like Australia the way it is.

Which is what? White?

What is so good about Australia now than it might not be in a few years. You are coming across as racist so I am giving you this opportunity to clarify your position.

• Advertisement

Which is what? White?

What is so good about Australia now than it might not be in a few years. You are coming across as racist so I am giving you this opportunity to clarify your position.

Thanks for this opportunity. You are so kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Why is cultural diversity always seen as such a good thing? I don’t think that it is particularly. It only results in the blurring and diluting of cultures and results in the world being a less interesting place overall. I don’t like the idea that everywhere will eventually be all the same. It will make for a really boring world.

Thanks for this opportunity. You are so kind.

Well as soon as you hit puberty we can discuss this again sometime, if puberty has come and gone than IMO others can judge what kind of character you are. I am afraid you were born 100 years too late.

Well as soon as you hit puberty we can discuss this again sometime, if puberty has come and gone than IMO others can judge what kind of character you are. I am afraid you were born 100 years too late.

You have exposed me jank, exposed me for all to see. Oh the shame. :(.

Why is cultural diversity always seen as such a good thing? I don’t think that it is particularly. It only results in the blurring and diluting of cultures and results in the world being a less interesting place overall. I don’t like the idea that everywhere will eventually be all the same. It will make for a really boring world.

Well first off I never said that cultural diversity is always a good thing. Saying that is wrong but the same can be said that cultural diversity is always a bad thing which is what brendonsmith is saying. Basically he wants to live in a society where whites are always in the majority. Asians are bad, Hispanics are bad. Hmmm kay!

Yet he has no where said once why. Which than leads me to believe that he doesn't like them because of the colour of their skin. That is racism. plain and simple.

Now I can well understand the fear of some people where immigrants come in and seem to take over. Immigration policy should be up for public discussion and should not be hijacked by PC merchants preaching to us all let in the whole world. A country should have total countrol over their immigration policy but it should not be based on race.

Immigration policy should be based on what someone can add to the country. If you have a skill and are willing to work in Ireland/OZ with that skill than who cares what where you come from or what skin colour you are.

Australia had for a long time a white only policy, hell if you were Italian you were deemed too dark skinned to be allowed enter, but a pasty white Irish guy no problem. But the problem with this was the Italian doctor was overlooked in favor of the Irish guy who had no skills. Did that make sense?

You have exposed me jank, exposed me for all to see. Oh the shame. :(.

If you have nothing to add to the topic then pi$$ off.

If you have nothing to add to the topic then pi$$ off.

Oh youre so mean. What a horrid thing to say. Well I never! :confused:

Well first off I never said that cultural diversity is always a good thing. Saying that is wrong but the same can be said that cultural diversity is always a bad thing which is what brendonsmith is saying. Basically he wants to live in a society where whites are always in the majority. Asians are bad, Hispanics are bad. Hmmm kay!...

I wasn’t specifically addressing you in the question Jank more of general question or even statement as I actually believe cultural diversity can have a very negative affect on a country. I have no problem with different cultures that integrate into the society to which they emigrate but I feel it is only human nature that makes it incredibly difficult to full adapt a different culture particularly if you are surrounded by people from your original place of birth. I have meet many Australians here who are 2nd or even 3rd generation immigrants from Asia who act and talk more like an Australian then I ever will but I also live very near to a Vietnamese area here in Melbourne where most of the shops have only signs in Vietnamese. This dose not enhance the local culture in my opinion it causes isolation. I have tried to buy things in these shops as I live in the area and have found that many of the shopkeepers have limited English. I really dislike the idea of just transporting your entire culture from one area to another. The colour of the persons skin is not a factor in this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads, give it a rest. If you have a problem with a post then report it rather than reacting.

brendansmith: I'm giving you 24 hours to back up your comments about why exactly it is bad for Australia. If you can't/don't then I can only presume you are trolling and you will be punished accordingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

maybe people think it's a bad thing because the country was founded on british/european values basically, and they don't want that to be changed. Melbourne seemed to be FULL of Asians everywhere I went, almost like they are 50% of the population, and they were never speaking English. How on earth do so many of them get in there? And a growth in the Muslim population could change all kinds of things in Australia with their archaic beliefs and laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Melbourne seemed to be FULL of Asians everywhere I went, almost like they are 50% of the population, and they were never speaking English.

This is just one of the issues. And many of these asians will give any white man a lecture on how they have been downtrodden and abused and racially discriminated against (esp filipinos) for ages blah blah blah and walk around with enormous chips on shoulders.

From a broader perspective, I've met aussies and discussed this with them; they've admitted to me that their country is being overtaken by asians. All they could reply was 'well australia IS part of asia after all', and 'they enrich our society by making it more multicultural'. You walk around anywhere in australia and you will see a definite pattern - each race keeps to it's own.

The race riots in sydney were just the beginning. It's gonna get much worse in oz I'm afraid, the tension.

Doc wrote: »
    I wasn’t specifically addressing you in the question Jank more of general question or even statement as I actually believe cultural diversity can have a very negative affect on a country. I have no problem with different cultures that integrate into the society to which they emigrate but I feel it is only human nature that makes it incredibly difficult to full adapt a different culture particularly if you are surrounded by people from your original place of birth. I have meet many Australians here who are 2nd or even 3rd generation immigrants from Asia who act and talk more like an Australian then I ever will but I also live very near to a Vietnamese area here in Melbourne where most of the shops have only signs in Vietnamese. This dose not enhance the local culture in my opinion it causes isolation. I have tried to buy things in these shops as I live in the area and have found that many of the shopkeepers have limited English.

I agree that efforts have to be made by those who emigrate to try and integrate themselves into the society. However one should also have the right to keep ties to their mother country. Take the above example. Instead of a Vietnamese shop how about if it were and Irish bar? Would that be an example of trying to insulate oneself from their country.
    I really dislike the idea of just transporting your entire culture from one area to another

Why?

Your last point doesn't make sense at all and is just wrong! Do you think its ok to colonise a country and export a culture to it as well, cause that is what OZ and NZ is.

Cultures have been mixing since people have learned to walk up straight. If that were not the case we would still be using roman numerals as numbers using ogham stones to communicate and eating boiled goats cheese all day.

38141 wrote: »

The race riots in sydney were just the beginning. It's gonna get much worse in oz I'm afraid, the tension.

Sensationalist nonsense. Those "riots" were hijacked by a bunch of beer fueled alpha males trying to "protect" their turf.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    maybe people think it's a bad thing because the country was founded on british/european values basically, and they don't want that to be changed. Melbourne seemed to be FULL of Asians everywhere I went, almost like they are 50% of the population, and they were never speaking English. How on earth do so many of them get in there? And a growth in the Muslim population could change all kinds of things in Australia with their archaic beliefs and laws.

This is my feeling completely.

There has been much talk of dodgy visa companies providing student visas to Indians who have no intention of going to college and work illegally for the 4 years and get citizenship. And heres me busting my balls trying to get it legit.

Also there is no doubt about tensions beween races in Australia, I think Melbourne is averaging 3 'bashed' Indians a week at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

38141 wrote: »
    This is just one of the issues. And many of these asians will give any white man a lecture on how they have been downtrodden and abused and racially discriminated against (esp filipinos) for ages blah blah blah and walk around with enormous chips on shoulders.

tbh any Asian ranting to you that white Aussies hate his people probably has a good point. Aussies are sound but litreally cant go 15 minutes without a race rant. Sydney folk seem to be worse- when I was in the north I expected it to be some KKK like land, yet the whites and natives there get along fairly well, they all seem to be mates generally. You would see them drinking together in the pubs. But Sydney, jesus. Ive little time for political correctness and all that but the Sydney people just take the mick- they pretty much hate everyone apart from the Irish.
    From a broader perspective, I've met aussies and discussed this with them; they've admitted to me that their country is being overtaken by asians.

The vast majority of Asians on the streets of Sydney seem to be Koreans on temp visas. Fact is that if Oz didnt have Asians you wouldnt be getting a taxi home at 4am, you wouldnt have 24 hour stores, etc etc etc. They seem to have more of an "our country" view than Canadians, yanks and any other new world country.
    There has been much talk of dodgy visa companies providing student visas to Indians who have no intention of going to college and work illegally for the 4 years and get citizenship. And heres me busting my balls trying to get it legit.

Might do the same myself. Lets face it, home isnt a place any of us want to be right now, and granting student visas only allowing 20 hours work per week in what is prob a min wage job is taking the piss. From personal experience the amount of Irish illegals here is growing by the day. If the system is open to abuse Id go for it myself.

This is my feeling completely.

Is this a fact or just talk?
    Also there is no doubt about tensions beween races in Australia, I think Melbourne is averaging 3 'bashed' Indians a week at the mo

Yep, that is a real problem alright but I suppose it is the indians fault for being there in the first place.:rolleyes:

Anyway since you are back maybe you can explain your original comments.

Is this a fact or just talk?

Fact

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23093080-27958,00.html

'Australia has suffered its share of phony degrees, shonky colleges and visa scams. There have been reports of students speaking such poor English that they have had to chip in to pay for translators in a bid to understand the subject they paid large sums of money to study. And, there have been government raids on college buildings, yielding long lists of students who never seem to attend classes.'
    Yep, that is a real problem alright but I suppose it is the indians fault for being there in the first place.:rolleyes:.

Thats racist. The OZ/NZ forum prides itself on being a friendly forum, read the charter. Your aggresive tone and insinuations are unnecessary, the posters here are all quite reasonable and we enjoy a good laugh also.
    Anyway since you are back maybe you can explain your original comments.

BraziliaNZ sumed it up nicely already.

Fact

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23093080-27958,00.html

'Australia has suffered its share of phony degrees, shonky colleges and visa scams. There have been reports of students speaking such poor English that they have had to chip in to pay for translators in a bid to understand the subject they paid large sums of money to study. And, there have been government raids on college buildings, yielding long lists of students who never seem to attend classes.'.

LOL. Did you even read the article? They have a guy from Ireland and Britain giving comments about this problem in....., you guessed it Ireland and Britain but no one commenting from Australia, so a problem is happening in country A so it must also be happening in country X. It doesn't mention Australia once. Hmmmm, no you need to do better than that.

Thats racist. The OZ/NZ forum prides itself on being a friendly forum, read the charter. Your aggresive tone and insinuations are unnecessary, the posters here are all quite reasonable and we enjoy a good laugh also..

Dont give up the day job

BraziliaNZ sumed it up nicely already.

So basically its bad for Australia because they don't speak "Australian" and they dont look white oh and add in a sprinkle of islamaphobia. Nice! Irony isn't lost on you is it!

Saying that I agree that the values of Australia which is mostly based on Anglo-Saxon capitalism should not be changed but there is no proof that a more Asian Australia will do that. Christ, look and China and Japan, they work their bollox off to get where they are today. Although I am confused, what Asian values are bad?

I agree that efforts have to be made by those who emigrate to try and integrate themselves into the society. However one should also have the right to keep ties to their mother country. Take the above example. Instead of a Vietnamese shop how about if it were and Irish bar? Would that be an example of trying to insulate oneself from their country.

Why?

Your last point doesn't make sense at all and is just wrong! Do you think its ok to colonise a country and export a culture to it as well, cause that is what OZ and NZ is.

Cultures have been mixing since people have learned to walk up straight. If that were not the case we would still be using roman numerals as numbers using ogham stones to communicate and eating boiled goats cheese all day.

How can you say that you agree that efforts have to be made by those who emigrate to try and integrate themselves into the society and then say that my dislike of just transporting your entire culture from one area to another doesn’t make sense at all and is just wrong?

In regards to your question about the Irish bar I do see it as a way of Irish people isolating themselves from the culture of the countries they are in and although I see the value for a traveler like myself who may feel homesick I rarely attend them unless I want to see a game that I couldn’t see elsewhere. However I do feel your point is slightly unsound as you do not see a whole road full of Irish pubs, shops restraints and shops in any city in the world outside of Ireland and if you did yes it would be wrong.

No I don’t think its ok to colonize a country and export a culture to it as well (I had thought I was pretty clear on this) and don’t think it was right that it happened to Australia or New Zealand. However we can not change what happened hundreds of years in the past but we can learn from the mistakes which where made. The fact is that settlers and convicts from the UK and Ireland did come here and exported there culture here.

Your point about roman numerals, ogham stones and goats cheese is ridicules culture is not the same thing as knowledge and one dose not necessarily have to change it because of a development in the other.

I think my previous post was pretty clear but that you where too high up on that horse of yours to read it properly and appreciate that a view of the world that is different then your own can be valid.

I believe one of the great things about this world is that there is so much cultural diversity from country to country and would like it to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

LOL. Did you even read the article? They have a guy from Ireland and Britain giving comments about this problem in....., you guessed it Ireland and Britain but no one commenting from Australia, so a problem is happening in country A so it must also be happening in country X. It doesn't mention Australia once. Hmmmm, no you need to do better than that.

Not taking sides here but just wanted to point out that BrendanSmith does have a valid point with regard to certain 'schools' offering certs and degrees for cash to enable students to gain PR.

It has been documented in the media over here.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/rogue-college-faces-melbourne-audit-20080811-3tms.html

and

http://www.fisa.org.au/node/130

Advertisement