Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia sleepwalking into population disaster.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Look I’ve made my points perfectly clear but you still don’t seem to understand my view. I’m tiered of talking to you.

No one else has seamed to have a problem understanding my point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Doc wrote: »
    Look I’ve made my points perfectly clear but you still don’t seem to understand my view. I’m tiered of talking to you.

No one else has seamed to have a problem understanding my point of view.

This isn't a popularity contest afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

jank wrote: »
    This isn't a popularity contest afaik.

Youre a popularity contest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    maybe people think it's a bad thing because the country was founded on british/european values basically, and they don't want that to be changed. Melbourne seemed to be FULL of Asians everywhere I went, almost like they are 50% of the population, and they were never speaking English. How on earth do so many of them get in there?
    I'm sure the Aborigines had similar thoughts when the white invadors arrived.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    And a growth in the Muslim population could change all kinds of things in Australia with their archaic beliefs and laws.
    Typical Islamophobic scare mongering. Over 2 million Muslims in the UK and nothing has changed dramatically.

Youre a popularity contest :P

OK I have read that sentance 5 times and it makes no sense. Lay off the VB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OK I have read that sentance 5 times and it makes no sense. Lay off the VB.

I think that's the point. It's just a saying. Like if someone says "that's really special" the other person says "you're special" and then the first person responds with "you're mama's special".

Quite often it's used with words that don't really make sense. It can be funny if you're drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

everyone must be on the beer early today, am i the only one working?

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    everyone must be on the beer early today, am i the only one working?

Your face is on the beer early today. :P
    Your face is the only one working. :(

Your face is on the beer early today. :P
    Your face is the only one working. :(

Wednesday or was it plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

When in Rome...

• Advertisement

This thread has finally started to see some sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If someone stole your children you would hit the bottle too man!

I was inferring that the Aboriginal population have been a mess for a long time. In true Aussie spirit, no one has really put in a concerted effort to fix the problem only to blame on the Aboriginies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats because at the heart of it Australia was and is a fundamentally racist society.
    Australia was based on killing the native population off and thereby taking the land by force, any that were not killed off were stuck in remote areas like Arnhem land with a lot of cheap grog to finish the job.
    Australia has no formal recognition of the original inhabitants rights as regards land and that is the heart of the problem.
    Then you have the White Australia Policy et al.

NZ was colonised a little later and while it is not problem free as regards race relations it is a long way ahead, mainly because the Treaty of Waitangi offered reparation and acknowledgment that the Maori people owned the land first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

Since I started this thread I would mention that a more believable figure is 28 million by 2050, from the Population Reference Bureau in Washington.

Though I think the tone of the thread has degenerated to about the level the population or immigration debate has in oz :)

Personally in Oz, see it as political/authority culture wars, or last **** of the "Skipocracy" i.e. old Anglo Australia...

PS I have relatives who are Maori, Fijian, plus friends of many different backgrounds including Moslem, at an informal level Oz is still very tolerant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats because at the heart of it Australia was and is a fundamentally racist society.
    Australia was based on killing the native population off and thereby taking the land by force, any that were not killed off were stuck in remote areas like Arnhem land with a lot of cheap grog to finish the job.
    Australia has no formal recognition of the original inhabitants rights as regards land and that is the heart of the problem.

NZ was colonised a little later and while it is not problem free as regards race relations it is a long way ahead, mainly because the Treaty of Waitangi offered reparation and acknowledgment that the Maori people owned the land first.

I'd have to agree. I only spent 6 weeks in Australia but i've never come across a more racist bunch of people, and i've spent quite a bit of time in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Is Australia walking into a population disaster well I don't think so. i think we need a few more citys though.

It's also a well known fact about the cash for courses, there was several raids on schools in Dublin operating the same such practices a few years back.

There is also not enough White Australians to fill the positions in Melbourne that where previously mentioned. The service industry requirements are vast and the local population does not have the manpower.

Everyone currently migrating or has migrated to Australia did so because they like the lifestyle and basic feel of the place. Any migration policy simply has to ensure that the stream of new arrivals simply flows in at a pace that does not start to change the look and feel of the country dramatically. Because nobody including the new arrivals want that.

Lets face it if you ran the place like Afganistan how many Afghans would migrate here? None because the place would be a kip and we would all be screaming to get out.

Islamization can never happen here because it would have to be voted in and in a country where every woman has a vote thats not going to happen.

At the end of the day Australia can stop importing people whenever they like, and I assume they have more accurate projection figures than we do. When this happens nobody that's on the Aussie side of the door will care.

Good post Zambia...

macca1983 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. I only spent 6 weeks in Australia but i've never come across a more racist bunch of people, and i've spent quite a bit of time in South Africa.

Can you give us some examples of these racist people, how they were racist and where they were from?

Sometimes culture-ism can be mistaken for racism..... but they are far from the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Can you give us some examples of these racist people, how they were racist and where they were from?

Sometimes culture-ism can be mistaken for racism..... but they are far from the same thing.

I can give you an example off the top of my head, the term 'wog' is a perfectly acceptable word to use in Australian language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Whats wrong with wog? :eek:

Thats not racist at all, its not PC and you should not say it on telly (you listening Clare Webbelhof).

But its not that bad.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I can give you an example off the top of my head, the term 'wog' is a perfectly acceptable word to use in Australian language.

Wog referrs to Greeks and Italians and not Black people.

Australians are laid back about stuff like that, Greeks and Italian even refer to themselves as wogs sometimes. Its not taken very seriously. Its used in the films 'The castle' and more recently 'Mary and Max'

Ireland is quite racist aswell you know.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »

That might be true but in a time when people where quite ignorant...

I often look at reasonable theories as why this is...

It has only been in recent times that Charles Darwin's Natural selection has been accepted.....

and if you think about modern humans killed off Neanderthals as part of natural selection 30,000 years ago and would be a natural trait .....humans (and animals) are instinctively programmed to destroy/kill something that could be a threat to their survival.

The Neanderthals were 99% same DNA as Modern humans but their physical appearance was slightly different and the Humans wiped them out because they looked different and was easily identifiable as a different tribe.....

In Australia ......white man shows up 200 years ago thinks black man is a threat starts a system of killing them off.... Black man thinks same thing.... kills the white man back.

White man had rifle... black man had spear.

back then was it racism or natural selection?

Off course today through science we know better .........we accept we all came from the same bacteria.

So do racists hate other race of people because they look different? or is it natural selection.

Not my opinion just a rambling theory based on science

m@cc@ wrote: »

When I first heard that one it surprised me too....

But like Brendan says it refers to people from a mediterranean background and is usually used in the same context as

A skip--- Aussie

A paddy or Mick -- Irishman

Kiwi-- NZ person

Pom -- Englishman.

A wog in Ireland is usually referred to as a gollywog or the little Black man on the pot of marmalade

Wog referrs to Greeks and Italians and not Black people.

Australians are laid back about stuff like that, Greeks and Italian even refer to themselves as wogs sometimes. Its not taken very seriously. Its used in the films 'The castle' and more recently 'Mary and Max'

Ireland is quite racist aswell you know.

How about the film titled The Wog Boy?

Thats not racist at all, its not PC and you should not say it on telly (you listening Clare Webbelhof).

But its not that bad.

Not the worst word in the world to use but you wouldn't go up to someone of Mediterranean descent on the street and call him a wog unless you have an inclination for fights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog#As_an_ethnic_reference_in_Australian_English.
    Wog is also an ethnic slur in Australian English to denote immigrants of predominately Middle Eastern and eastern or southern European origin.

The "ethnic" character of the term "wog" came into popular use in the 1950s when Australia accepted large numbers of immigrants from Mediterranean/Eastern European countries, in contrast to the then overwhelmingly dominant ethnic Anglo-Celtic stock of the population. Although originally used pejoratively, the term is increasingly used more affectionately, especially by the individuals the term is used to describe.

The term "wogball" refers to soccer, association football, coming from its popularity among such people. Australians of Anglo-Celtic ancestry traditionally favour the games of Rugby football and Australian Rules, although this is a generalisation.

The term was often used in popular Australian comedy Kingswood Country between 1979-84 and was used in a sense that was sometimes pejorative, sometimes affectionate and sometimes neutral.

The word was prominently used in the popular early 1990s stage show Wogs Out of Work, created by Greek-Australian Nick Giannopoulos and Spanish-Australian Simon Palomares. The production was followed on television with Acropolis Now, starring Giannopoulos, Palomares, George Kapiniaris and Mary Coustas, and in film with The Wog Boy.

Nevertheless, the term remains quite offensive to a lot of people in Australia, particularly people of Southeastern European and Eastern European origin who grew up in Australia through the 1950s to 1980s as it was still very much an ethnic slur or insult.

The derogatory nature of the term when used as an ethnic slur largely succeeded in overtaking and driving out use of the term Wog to describe illness or undesirable insects.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    How about the film titled The Wog Boy?

Yeah sure, when are you free? :D

In Australia ......white man shows up 200 years ago thinks black man is a threat starts a system of killing them off.... Black man thinks same thing.... kills the white man back.

White man had rifle... black man had spear.

back then was it racism or natural selection?

Off course today through science we know better .........we accept we all came from the same bacteria.

So do racists hate other race of people because they look different? or is it natural selection.

Sounds like a pi$$ poor excuse to me as an attempt to justify what happened and we all know who was doing the killing.....

Like, its not as if Aborigines enjoy a good quality of life now and everybody are now friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

But its not that bad.

Wog is like calling someone a paddy - it identifies where you come from
    It generally is regarded as a ethnic slur on people mainly from middle east, or south europe (greece, croatia etc)

I personally wouldn't call people it, as I don't like when people call me paddy
    but I don't think it is generally 'offensive'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I do have to say of the time i spent in Australia i found the majority of people to be openly racist. Now im all for joking around but some of it just made me cringe seriously.

Met some Australian guys in a hostel in Miami randomly and guess what?
    very racist. But again i dont like to tar everyone, but this is based on my
    first hand experience.

Sounds like a pi$$ poor excuse to me as an attempt to justify what happened and we all know who was doing the killing.....

Like, its not as if Aborigines enjoy a good quality of life now and everybody are now friends.

Hey I am not trying to Justify anything or make any excuses..... it was only a theory as to why racism exists in the first place.

Like what makes people hate other people just because they are a different colour?

And by the way racism is not always carried out by the wihite race..... there are plenty of cases where racism has been caried out by coloured people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Rosita

Personally I think its a bad thing that white people outnumber Aborigines.

This is an interesting view from someone who says to another person a few posts later "you are coming across as racist".

Your own view implies that one race is superior to another so it's probably best to avoid playing the racist card.

Advertisement