Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor Samoa (Current US Series) ***Spoilers for TG4 viewers***

Options
  • 18-09-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Survivor Samoa kicked off in the States last night. Anyone else see it?
    I thought it was pretty promising looking. People say Survivor has been going down hill as the seasons progress, but I think there's been a few great seasons recently.
    Anyway, that little fat guy Russell, seems like he'll be an interesting player... already stirring s**t. Hope he makes it quite far in the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah looks like an interesting line-up, that Russel guy seems great, and hes already a millionaire, evil little oil-baron type, I like him, my only gripe was that in the first episode they got rid of one of the sexiest women Survivors ever had, she was stunning whoever she was, perfect body and face. Can only find the one pic of her online and its not great.

God I love this show, cant believe its been 19 seasons so far, Ive been watching this for most of my life now, hard to believe it still feels so fresh, its definitely the best reality show and one of the best shows in general ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just watched it and while I want Russell to get his comeuppance I also want him to stay in so that it remains interesting. I do hope that he gets voted out at some stage.

I found it strange that at tribal council that he was saying to Marisa that he didn't want her thinking he was stabbing her in the back (or something) and that no one thought that this was suspicious. If it were me I'd have taken that to mean that he had at least one other secret alliance besides me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Thought a new thread might be needed, as they don't want spoilers in the other general Survivor thread.

So what did you think about Bens eviction? It's rare to see Jeff get in anyway involved but you could tell he really did not like Ben, even just from the way he put out his flame.

I don't for 1 minute think he was being racist intentionally. I just think he was stupid.

Will be interesting to see how long Russell H. lasts. I don't see how he plans on surviving past the merge (even if he does). His main goal seems to self destruct his current tribe. It's like he's forgetting that traditionally the tribe with the lower numbers that merges tends to get picked off. Russell has already made enemies with Yasmin, and they didn't really show him playing nice with Shambo (she'll be gone before the merge anyway though, don't hold out much hope for her)

EDIT: snafu... didn't see the other thread. please merge with the other thread :o

Thargor wrote: »
    she was stunning whoever she was, perfect body and face. Can only find the one pic of her online and its not great.

Here ya go, go wild. Add her as a friend ;)

Pretty much most of the recent Survivor cast have facebook and myspace pages from before they where on the show.

She's no Parvati Shallow or Amanda Kimmel though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ben was very unlikeable so had to go.... his chopping wood in the middle of the night, aggressiveness in the challenges and his racist comments didn't work in his favour.

Russell is a great character. I don't think he'll make the merge though.... people are going to see through him soon enough. If he makes it all the way to the final, it'll be a great season.

Glad to see the back of Exile Island in this series. The spy format is alot more interesting.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Russell is a great character. I don't think he'll make the merge though.... people are going to see through him soon enough. If he makes it all the way to the final, it'll be a great season.

I think he'll make the merge. Those blondes will go before he does. They seem like deer in headlights, and are just coasting, doing whatever they're told. I mean I couldn't believe they helped to vote out Betsy. They could of had a strong alliance with her, and she had a head on her shoulders.

I guess it depends on who Russell guns for next. If he goes for Jaison, I think he has enough clout with Mike and the rest to turn the tide against Russell
    Mr E wrote: »
    Glad to see the back of Exile Island in this series. The spy format is alot more interesting.

Yeah definitely. Exile has never really been good. Although it was hilarious in Gabon seeing Sugar sent there week after week. Coach doing his made up Yoga-esque poses in Tocantins while the Helicopter does a fly by was also very good.

Still I don't think the spy is as good as it could be. It would be nice if they gave the spy nice food while they are there so that the other tribe resents them.

I do like the set nominated leaders though. Stops all the faffing about with people trying to keep the target off their back and nobody taking the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Galu are screwed, I can see them losing a few in a row now. I'm kinda sad to see the back of Yasmin. She was a great character :P. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the place the booted contestants are when Yasmin and Ben are together :P

Next week will be fun. Liz looks like she means business.

Was kinda irritated at the reward challenge, they pretty much gave the ending of it away before it was finished.

Overall a good episode. Liking Russell H. more and more each week. Shambo needs to go, what was she in the military? A cook? A latrine digger? She's useless and just keeps going on about how no one else is doing any work. Quickest way to get voted off tbh.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Was kinda irritated at the reward challenge, they pretty much gave the ending of it away before it was finished.

Overall a good episode. Liking Russell H. more and more each week. Shambo needs to go, what was she in the military? A cook? A latrine digger? She's useless and just keeps going on about how no one else is doing any work. Quickest way to get voted off tbh.
    I'm not sure the editors are setting Shambo up to be voted out though. I can see her making the merge and somehow ending up in the final 5 or so.
    I'd like to see a tribe switch next week :P

She was in the Marines unbelievably, you'd think they would have knocked that horrible fat American waddle she does out of her.

I thought the editing for the reward was alright, at least in Survivor you dont know which way its going to go because sometimes they build it up like that and then nothing happens, it was still pretty tense. Mythbusters on the other hand is ridiculous, you've seen the result of every experiment and explosion 5 times by the time they get around to showing it in full, I dont know why they do it, I suppose the show would only be 20 minutes long without the constant recaps and previews.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought the editing for the reward was alright, at least in Survivor you dont know which way its going to go because sometimes they build it up like that and then nothing happens, it was still pretty tense.

Just before the last ball was thrown they cut to interviews with Galu and Foa Foa clearly after the event. Yer man from Galu was decidedly more enthused to get out his winners story than the guy from Foa Foa was, who had the look of someone making an excuse for a loss. As soon as I seen their faces I knew that Galu was going to win it with the last shot.

They do this a lot on survivor. Another thing I've noticed is that the tribe you see the most footage of during the episode will inevitably lose the immunity challenge, they will also usually show that tribe talking about who they have tensions with just before the immunity challenge. It's downright irritating because it pretty much gives away the result before the contest. Don't believe me? Just watch in the next episode. They've been doing it since season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Totally agree with you L31mr0d. Another thing I've noticed is that the people who have gotten the most air-time in previous episodes tend to be voted out sooner. Eg I predict Shambo will go before Laura (bad example, but you get my drift!).

This is a good Survivor season. In Tocantins, there were only a couple of interesting people, but I feel that most of the people on this series are good players, without being "edgy" (think Coach...).

I agree about Ben - not racist, just not too bright. I liked him though.

I think Russell on Galu is a terrible leader. Once Shambo goes, or there's a switch or a merge, their tribe will fall apart - the only thing holding them together is their hatred for Shambo! At least the other tribe has alliances going - everybody on Galu seems to be one big happy family. Then the merge will come, they'll realise they don't trust anybody on their tribe, and some will align with Foa Foa. The ones who don't (probably Russell among them) will get voted off. Then it'll be an ex-Foa Foa majority, and an ex-Galu minority. Cue more switching until it's something like Mick and Russell from Foa Foa in the final two. :pac:

Anyway, that's just my impromptu Survivor Samoa speculation :) I hope I'm wrong though and Foa Foa Russell gets voted out early. Especially if he's blindsided and doesn't use the hidden immunity-idol. OK, that's the vindictive side coming out in me, but hey it's Survivor!

Also, for people like me who don't have satellite TV, you can watch the episodes Youtube-style on this site: http://watch-survivor-samoa.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I hope Russell of Foa Foa wins... Or else Mick of Foa Foa... don't care for anyone on Galu...

They're just going to get picked off after the merge, Russel with his sneakiness and hidden immunity is the only one with a hope.

Man last night's episode was tough to watch. As Jeff said in 19 seasons of Survivor he had never been so scared... I've seen every single episode of Survivor and I completely agree with Jeff - I was genuinely scared for awhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It was very hard to watch, especially because he seemed ok and then when he sat up he was gone again. I was very worried for awhile.

Once I got over my worry all I could think about was the fact that they didn't get any pizza. That must have been hard for the people who remained.

Yeah Russell blacking out with his eyes open was really eerie to look at. Jeff definitely looked on edge.

I think Galu is running headless at the moment. I can't see anyone in that tribe being a leader as good as Russell. He knew how to motivate, lead by example and build morale with even the slightest bit of good fortune (not many people would see the silver lining in a rainbow and try to talk everyone into being excited about it)

Oh and, once again, if you watch the preview for next weeks episode you will now already know who wins next weeks immunity challenge... god damn Survivor :mad:, I hate how shoddy their editing seems at times.

I think Erik will become the leader of Galu. He certainly seemed the most vocal and emotional at Tribal Council.

I was also really shocked by what happened with Russell. For a second I thought he had actually died, before I realised that they would never show that on TV :o

I'm not surprised they didn't have a vote at Tribal - they have already lost two people due to injury. However, I really thought Jeff was going to say that they had merged or there would be a switch, once all 13 of them were sitting down together.

Aard wrote: »
    I think Erik will become the leader of Galu. He certainly seemed the most vocal and emotional at Tribal Council.

I do also, but he will probably be a bad leader, he's far too unstable and I haven't really seen him looking out for anyone but himself.

But, looking at Galu, I can't really see anyone that would either want to be leader or would be accepted as leader. They might give it to shambo as a sort of dummy gesture.

They might give it to shambo as a sort of dummy gesture.

You got this one correct anyway.

Was a pity to see Liz go this week, was a strong player. The merge should be interesting seeing as though Shambo and Laura are gonna flip to Foa Foa without doubt. I get the feeling the Foa Foa members will stick around for a while, and Galu will rip themselves apart from the inside.

• Advertisement

Yeah Liz was a strong player. I can't understand why she didn't go to Jaison and Mick, and tell them that Russell had the hidden immunity idol.

Aard wrote: »
    I can't understand why she didn't go to Jaison and Mick, and tell them that Russell had the hidden immunity idol.

She didn't seem that smart tbh. Russell seems to be the only one of Foa Foa that's actually playing the game and has the foresight to start planning for the merge
    thank you preview, I now definitely know it's next week :mad:

Mick is like a wet rag. I put Foa Foa losses purely on his shoulder, he's a horrible leader. He should be playing the coach role in the trials but he's just keeping his mouth shut to pass under the radar. I didn't expect Jaison to go home, regardless of his performance in the trials, he isn't a threat to Russell, and if Russell is expecting the merge, he knows the game is going to become an individual one soon so he's of no consequence.

In the alliance game Liz was a loose cannon and had to go.

I really hope Dave Ball from Galu goes soon. The guy is just annoying. Although his interactions with Shambo are hilarious. I just winced when he said "bros before hoes"

:p

I like Danger Dave, he looks, sounds and acts like Kevin Spaceys character in American Beauty. Bit of a dull episode this week though I thought, so glad Shambo is being kept around, her stupidity and the lads comments on it are one of the best bits of this series, especially her speech about why she thought she was chosen as leader.

Cant wait for the merge to see Russel in action with everybody, he didnt deserve the sh1tty tribe he ended up with.

Yes! Kevin Spacey look-alike Dave! He's an oddball, sure, but at least he's entertaining, unlike that Kelly girl. Although, judging by her lack of air-time, she'll go quite far in the game :pac:

I'm hoping Russell wins the game, so looking forward to see how things go with the merge...

Wow! Probably the best Survivor episode I've seen in many a series!

I'm very impressed with Natalie - I had totally underestimated her. It just goes to show how helpful a hot Southern girl can be in an alliance. Her social game (OK, I may be stretching it a little here) is genious. She had the Galu girls change their mind in minutes! She's now my favourite player, and I hope she wins. Her move today was the most pivotal in the game so far.

Russell is dead, by the looks of things. And good riddance - I never liked his sleazy demeanor. He was foolish to play the idol. Galu would never have written his name down; they knew he had the idol, and wouldn't risk the person with the next highest votes (a Galu) being voted out. The way things were so up in the air - at least 3 names being bandied about - he was bound to play the idol (Galu would think), so no point in voting for him.

I was so happy to see Erik go. His speech at Tribal Council was so funny - the audience knew the blindside was coming. However, I have to admit that I got a little worried when I saw two votes for Jaison. Amazing blindside though, still.

All I hope now, really, is that there isn't a fucking "catch-up" episode. They piss me off no end. :pac:

What a blindside... I didn't like Eric at all, so very glad he got the boot.
    The previews tend to be slightly misleading at times, so hoping that the preview at the end of this episode, isn't suggesting what I think it is.

Haha the hole he dug for himself before the blindside was an all time classic Survivor moment, I dont think Russels going next week either, hope not anyway.

Erik was right though. The old Foa Foa just can't catch a break. Jaison, almost playing the race card.... again, was cringeworthy. Erik was clearly talking about his résumé from the game of survivor, not his real world résumé. Then Jaison goes off on another one of his "woe is me, I'm so oppressed speeches". The guy needs counseling or something, he's a wet rag.

I'd like to think Russell isn't going home next week, but I don't know. It could go either way. My guess is the hidden immunity idol will be put back into play again and russell will find it, or he'll win immunity.

Have to say though, Mick is doing a great job of flying under the radar. He's consistantly average, not too lazy, never argues, but not too amazing at the challenges. I can see him outlasting most of the old Foa Foa tribe

• Advertisement

AHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!! WHOAAA!!!

Yet another great ep from Samoa! The look on their faces when he played the idol ... again! Priceless! As much as I hated Russell in the beginning, I'm actually warming to him. I didn't think Kelly "deserved" to go, especially seeing as how little air-time she's had over the series. Can't wait for Laura to go.

Advertisement