Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor Samoa (Current US Series) ***Spoilers for TG4 viewers***

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was FREAKIN' AMAZING!!!
    This is easily becoming one of the best seasons of Survivor since the early days.
    I absolutely love Russell... what a legend...
    I'd love it if he got another one next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This is easily becoming one of the best seasons of Survivor since the early days.

Apart from Russell though this season has very little else going for it. Fans vs Favourites is still my favourite season so far (or maybe the season with Ozzy in it the first time)

Nobody else is really memorable and come this time next year I doubt I'll remember anyone but Russell. Mick and Brett are no shows for the majority. Jaison is a wet rag and the rest are just too normal to be interesting. There's Shambo but she's no Rupert from Survivor All Stars. He's still my favourite crazy from the series

Back the truck up - Rupert wasn't crazy... he was a legend and shouldn't even be compared to Shambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Absoloutely awesome. Russell has gone up in my estimation. I noticed Shambo made her first non-insane move of the game. Her voting of Russell at tribal and feigned surprise will make the Galu members think she's with them. Possibility of an all Foa-Foa/Shambo final tribal council? I think it's surely on the cards at this stage. Russell is playing a magnificent game, and is using great common sense in finding the idols, I mean for the most part the idols have been hidden in pretty obvious positions at camp :P.

I felt sorry for Kelly in a way, and it was interesting to note in a post-boot interview she said her strongest ally was Brett, which is amazing as the editors seem to be completely ignoring Brett (as Erik also said Brett was the strongest player in a post-boot interview last week).

Anyway Laura vs. Russell should be intense next week. The preview of Dave running after Russell as he looked for the idol looked hilarious :P

Back the truck up - Rupert wasn't crazy... he was a legend and shouldn't even be compared to Shambo.

Well he was odd, but in a good way. Every season usually features 1 or 2 characters that seem to of been raised in an alternate version of society. Shambo was clearly put in the show because she ticked that box as was Rupert. But she's not memorable in any way, except maybe having a nickname that rhymes with Rambo.

Shes seems more like Sugar from Gabon ... but way WAY less hot :pac:, slightly emotionally unstable with some unresolved childhood issues (sugar had her daddy issues, whereas Shambo seems to have highschool issues, probably why she is projecting most of her anger on Laura who she sees as the archetypal Cheerleader/Popular girl) When, in reality, Laura has really done little to antagonize Shambo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That was just incredible, one of the best eps Ive ever seen, this would be the best series ever but for the reasons already mentioned above, also the challenges and rewards are a bit dull aswell compared to other seasons I think. Still though, I was hugging my knees and taking deep breaths watching that last tribal, no programme ever gets your heart thumping like Survivor at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Looks like Russell might be on the block next week...

Also, yay, Laura's gone!

EDIT: There's an effing recap ep next week, but I'll be away, thank god \o/

Russel is a God.
    I don't think he'll be on the block next week and even if he is, he's got another Idol.

God I love this programme, stupid recap episode always happens at a brilliant bit every year, another great episode, Russel is an actual genius but now I think they might just decide to blindside him.

Brett continues his invisible edit streak. This reminds me of (Micronesia spoilers)
    Natalie's run. Let's hope Brett becomes a big personality out of nowhere :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Shambo is a horrible person. She's turned into a total bully.

As much as I hate Russell and wish he was gone, he is at least making the show interesting.

Good ep this week, should be interesting next time if they're actually after Russell, why didn't John tell people Russel had the hidden immunity idol when he realised he was betrayed though? Hope we see the idol in action next week aswell.

I think this season would be a bit bland without Russell though, I mean the rest are just morons stumbling along, hopefully Shambo will shake things up now that shes turned into this horrible cúnt.

I love how everybody has taken Shambo for a ride. She's now a dangerous woman - i.e. somebody with nothing to lose. She should be taken out next, otherwise she's likely to fire without warning.

Wow! Another nailbiting episode...
    This season really has been awesome...
    I know I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat next week during the finale...

FYI, Episode 14 airs in the US next Thursday (17th) as usual, but then on Sunday (20th) there'll be a 2 hour finale and 1 hour reunion show... and at this stage it is anyones game, so it's gonna be good...

Fantastic ending to a fantastic season... Just brilliant.

But season 20
    looks absolutely fantastic.... Heroes vs. Villains... Can't wait... It's like every Survivor fans wet dream... I imagine I'll definitely be rooting for the Villains - Fairplay and Russell I imagine will definitely be back and hopefully Hatch and Penner amongst others...

Fantastic ending to a fantastic season... Just brilliant.

But season 20
    looks absolutely fantastic.... Heroes vs. Villains... Can't wait... It's like every Survivor fans wet dream... I imagine I'll definitely be rooting for the Villains - Fairplay and Russell I imagine will definitely be back and hopefully Hatch and Penner amongst others...
    Heroes vs. Villains will be good :)

As for the final, disappointed in a way Brett didn't win, I'd taken a bizarre liking to the guy. Natalie was a good winner though, and I was happy to see her win after Russell's arrogance went one step too far.

Gutted for Russell, wanted him to win so bad. He seriously looked upset right from the start of the show even before the votes where read. The other survivors all jumped on Russell, I'd say they where arguing with him before the show went live.

After Natalie's cringe worthy "prayer warrior" rubbish last week I really did not want to see her get the million. The fact that nobody recognized Russells genius made it even worse.

Overall a disappointing end to the season. I hope, beyond all hopes, that Russell is in it again next season. Although, everyone will know his tricks now.

Totally agree with all that L31mr0d, gutted about the end and the winner did not deserve it imo, would have way preferred Brett if it couldnt be Russell, at least he got his consolation prize of 100k and hopefully a shot at S20, cant believe Ive watched 20 seasons of survivor, Ive been watching it since secondary school right after TG4 launched, no internet back then, it was just pure chance that I stumbled across it.

Next year looks awesome, only a few weeks to wait aswell, God I love this programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The thread has **Spoilers** in the title, so no need to pussy-foot here.

Russell was absolutely robbed, pure and simple. There is absolutely no way coat-tail-riding Natalie deserved to win. And he is such a threat that he'll be gone within the first half of Heroes vs. Villains. He'll be bamboozled like Hatch! :)

Glad to see it looks like they are pooling contestants from all 19 seasons and not just those since season 8. Should be a brilliant season.

Mr E wrote: »
    The thread has **Spoilers** in the title, so no need to pussy-foot here.

Well the only reason I was spoilering it was that I'm subscribed to this thread and got emails about updates to the thread before I'd watched the finale. I'm glad they where spoilered as opening them would of ruined the finale for me.

On further taught. If I'd watched the show and seen what Russell was doing and saying behind my back I'd probably also have bad feelings for him. I mean he made all of them look like fools. Yes, he played a better game, but he also bruised a lot of egos in the process. I think Natalie was just lucky that she went up against Mick, who stupidly played the sympathy/pity card (it has never paid of) and Russell who not only did play a better game but he lauded it over their heads.

Next season will be interesting though. As far I can imagine, the Heroes are going to be physically dominant in comparison to the Villians. I can't remember any real physical treats that where the villians in the series.

I really hope they bring back Amanda Kimmel and James Clement for a 3rd season. Felt both of those where robbed in Micronesia.

Edit: btw, if you want to send Russell a message he's on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/people/Russell-Hantz/100000450583428#/profile.php?v=info&id=100000450583428

• Advertisement

If Russell is in Season 20, he'll have the advantage of no one knowing who the f**k he is as the season was filmed before Samoa was aired or while it was being aired. However, if the cast lists floating around the interweb are anything to go by, our beloved Russell won't even be getting a look in, as he isn't on a single one of those lists. Thankfully they only seem to be speculation at this point, so fingers crossed Russ will be back - he's probably my favourite Survivor contestant of all time, or at least in the top 5 if not in the number 1 spot.
    L31mr0d, you'll probably be happy to hear that Amanda's name has popped up on every single list I've seen, and James was on the majority of 'em too, so very good chance they'll be back, as will quite a few of the Favourites of the Favourites season... Fairplay, Parvati, Cirie and Ozzy have all been mentioned. Personally, I'm sick of Ozzy, but don't mind the rest of 'em.
    Hatch definitely won't be back though, apparently. He wasn't given permission to leave the US. Stupid legal system getting in the way of epic Survivor.
    Is it too early to start a Heroes Vs. Villains thread?
    We could use it for updates on who's possibly gonna be in the series or what not...
    I won't start it, unless other people see merit in it being started this early...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nah, go for it, Cian. It'll be fun to speculate, and its less than 2 months away. :)
    Beware spoilers about this season though (for TG4 viewers).

I've always been of the belief that the person who wins the million bucks deserves it. And, though it pains me to say it, I still believe it after Natalie's win. Russell outwitted, out played and outlasted, but he failed the most important test - the social game. He was arrogant, smug, rude, and just an all-around pain in the ass. He may have played the "best" game ever, but was blinded by his own awesomeness into forgetting that, duh, at the end of the day, people have to vote for you. One of the best players, but at the same time one of the dumbest.

(Also, fwiw, my prediction of Russ and Mick in the final came true, go me! :pac: )

If Russell is in Season 20, he'll have the advantage of no one knowing who the f**k he is as the season was filmed before Samoa was aired or while it was being aired. However, if the cast lists floating around the interweb are anything to go by, our beloved Russell won't even be getting a look in, as he isn't on a single one of those lists. Thankfully they only seem to be speculation at this point, so fingers crossed Russ will be back - he's probably my favourite Survivor contestant of all time, or at least in the top 5 if not in the number 1 spot.
    L31mr0d, you'll probably be happy to hear that Amanda's name has popped up on every single list I've seen, and James was on the majority of 'em too, so very good chance they'll be back, as will quite a few of the Favourites of the Favourites season... Fairplay, Parvati, Cirie and Ozzy have all been mentioned. Personally, I'm sick of Ozzy, but don't mind the rest of 'em.
    Hatch definitely won't be back though, apparently. He wasn't given permission to leave the US. Stupid legal system getting in the way of epic Survivor.
    Is it too early to start a Heroes Vs. Villains thread?
    We could use it for updates on who's possibly gonna be in the series or what not...
    I won't start it, unless other people see merit in it being started this early...
    The proper cast list is out if you know where to look :).

As for Russell winning, frankly he didn't play the best game as his social game was terrible. He was arrogant and didn't deserve it, and his carry on at the reunion was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was rooting for Russell too...from the moment he started emptying water cans and burning socks :D. I mean, you just have to respect a move like that. And the guy found 3 idols.....two of which with no clues! :eek: staggering stuff.

And as somebody has already said, nobody will have a clue about him as season 20 was filmed before samoa aired. Having said that, I'm sure the players would have been told by the producers roughly what to expect. Besides, if a guy is on a tibe full of villains, you should know what to expect from him :p

Next season should be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Never realised this thread was here during the season....

Personally I thought Russell did play a good social game. He had the other three Foa-Foa hang on his every decision, Shambo trusted him, John at one stage trusted him. I think it's more accurate to say that he fell at the very last minute. He claims to be amazing at reading people, but then he really should have been able to read the jury well enough and adjust his plays and responses to secure more of the votes.

Anyway, good thing Russell was there or we might have had one of the dullest seasons ever (none will ever top Thailand for dullness [hopefully]).

On Season 20;
    I hope to see Russell again, though it's hard to know if he'd go through it again so soon.
    I have enough of Amanda and James, but their relentless popularity means they'll likely be back :(
    I also never liked Rupert, but again he's bound to be there.
    I really want to see Cirie again.
    I can't see Fairplay coming back again.
    Some others I'd like to see back - Rob Cesternino, Steffanie LaGrossa, Judd & Earl (from Fiji I think?), Rob Mariano (a reality TV whore), Chris from Vanuatu.

People have been bastards before and the jury has rewarded them for it, usually because the other 2 are disposeable hanger-ons that the person actually playing the game brought with them, dont know why that wasnt the case this time. I think it might have been the hatred for Shambo, I bet she was praising Russell in the hotel where the jury were staying and they wanted to punish her for it by voting for whats-her-name. I think he was robbed, so glad he's a millionaire already and he got the 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ringlarryduff

I can't wait for the new series. Heroes vs Villains will be brilliant. I agree about Russell being an unknown quantity and hopefully that means he'll go all the way. I read somewhere that Russell assumes that he has won Samoa as he has no idea during the HvV season how he did in Samoa. Tyson will also be an interesting character, as will Coach though the latter has no hope of winning as no-one will take him seriously. It'll great to see Colby again who was unlucky in All-Stars

I read somewhere that Russell assumes that he has won Samoa as he has no idea during the HvV season how he did in Samoa.
    Oooo never thought of that, that could be true, pretty funny if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ringlarryduff

Apparently he keeps calling himself 'The Sole Survivor' during HvV....should be hilarious! Hope he isn't knackered coming straight from the Samoa series into HVV.

Advertisement