Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Revision Control System do you use?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Poll: What version control system(s) do you currently use, not what have you used in the past?

The company I work for uses both Clearcase and SVN. I have to say I much rather SVN, but still find the whole merge issues annoying.

I've lately been reading about Git, but haven't tried it out yet. Have many people used it? Does it compare favourably to other version control systems?

What version control systems do you like / hate and reasons why?

What revision control system(s) do you currently use? 40 votes

SVN
    0% 0 votes
    CVS
    55% 22 votes
    Git
    12% 5 votes
    Bazaar
    15% 6 votes
    Monotone
    2% 1 vote
    Mercurial
    0% 0 votes
    Clearcase
    7% 3 votes
    None
    7% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mercurial for everything I do these days.
    In the past, I went from RCS to CVS to SVN (and I still have to use SVN for OSS projects I contribute to that use it).
    But I wouldn't use anything other than a DVCS system anymore if I had a choice, and I personally prefer Mercurial to Git, though it's just a preference (Git does a number of things better than mercurial, like handling large numbers of contributors under a patch system; Mercurial is better at other things like general usability for people who've used older VCS's in the past).

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

On that list... Git and Mercurial. You forgot stuff like Sourcesafe and Perforce etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

fasty wrote: »
    On that list... Git and Mercurial. You forgot stuff like Sourcesafe and Perforce etc though.
    Sourcesafe is better off forgotten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

fasty wrote: »

Oops. Meant to put in a "Other" option. Can I edit the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

'Other' then... we use Perforce, as do a good few other game companies. The licensing is fairly expensive, but the software is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

I've used SVN for my own stuff, and we've been using it in work too for a while now (was SourceSafe before that).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Mercurial and quite happy. I might consider learning GIT in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

company i work for uses Perforce aswell.
    have used sourcesafe and svn in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Visual Team Studio and Codeplex at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

TFS where i work..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

CMVC, it's a real pain in comparison with SVN or Clearcase, might be moving to Rational Team Concert soon though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Just making the transition between Sourcesafe and TFS. It couldn't come soon enough with all the hassle Sourcesafe was giving us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Whats the benefits of a paid scm, when there are so many opensource and good scm implementations ?

Using SVN here - tagging is a bit of a pain but webdav+ldap is great for just working no matter what the client or OS. Not to mention the ease of integration with other build management software.

Sourcesafe - what a pain in the nuts - guy checks out whole project, guy goes on holidays, everybody else excluded from project. Nice!

Advertisement