Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to mix and match ATI with nVidia to get Physx?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Hey, been out of the game for a bit wondering if anyone could get me up to speed on the possibilities of this.

My current PC is:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    E8500 @ 4Ghz
    8GB PC2-8000 RAM
    128GB SSD
    TB's of storage
    ATI 4870x2

It runs everything, including Crysis maxed out (with some Ramdisk tweaking), which is why I haven't touched it.

But now I see Mirrors Edge (played it on the PS3, have plans to play it again on the PC) and Arkhams asylum (thanks 5uspect :() both use it a lot, and actually do add something to the game.

I'm happy with my ATI, would it be possible to get, maybe, an 8800GT and use that as a dedicated Physx card?

Is there known driver incompatibilities, slow down... etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

goddam this proprietary bullsh!t :mad:

Just read that back in June of this year nVidia changed physx so that it won't run if there is another card in your system that isn't nVidia.

Was reading that back in August '08 they'd figured out a way of enabling physx for ATI cards, but it doesn't work with the 4xxx series of ATI cards. The guys on this forum are currently working on a way of making physx work with ATI cards.

Supposedly there is no hardware reason why it can't work, just nVidia being a complete ass and trying to get people to just buy their cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You can't have 2 different gpu drivers, as in have an Ati and a Nvidia in different slots with Vista or Windows 7, something You could do on Xp. You can have two cards, but they must be of the same manufacturer using the same driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

L31mr0d wrote: »
    My current PC is:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    E8500 @ 4Ghz
    8GB PC2-8000 RAM
    128GB SSD
    TB's of storage
    ATI 4870x2

It runs everything, including Crysis maxed out (with some Ramdisk tweaking), which is why I haven't touched it.

What's got 2 thumbs and hates L31mr0d?

This guy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You can't have 2 different gpu drivers, as in have an Ati and a Nvidia in different slots with Vista or Windows 7, something You could do on Xp. You can have two cards, but they must be of the same manufacturer using the same driver

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they brought back the ability to have two graphics drivers for 7. I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they brought back the ability to have two graphics drivers for 7. I might be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure I read that also. It was something they took out with Vista then put back in with Windows 7.

Anyway, I'd have to get nVidia cards to get physx working. I might just get a slightly better nVidia card for my HTPC.

What would be a substantial upgrade of the 8800GT? Could I get something for around €150 that would be a fair bit more powerful than say the 8800GTX? (haven't really been following nVidias cards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

You can use an nvidia card for physx alright. I know two guys who have done it(One with a 4770 and an 8800gt). You just need to use old nvidia drivers and windows 7(Or xp I think) and it should work. Certain old nvidia drivers will work better than others. I've no clue which drivers are the ones to use but I'm sure some googling with reveal all. guru3d has some posts in the gpu section(physx board I think) regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

As long as you use drivers older than 181.5 it will work fine.
    However in order to get it working in the first place you need either 2 monitors connected (1 to each card) or 2 inputs from your monitor connected to both cards.

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=33521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kaimera wrote: »

It's been around now for the past year but nothing real has come out yet...
    it would be great if it did work though..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Berkut wrote: »
    It's been around now for the past year but nothing real has come out yet...
    it would be great if it did work though..:D
    the link was recent; as in 2-3 days.

seems they do have a working chip

• Advertisement
Advertisement