Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE DAB PULSE

Options
  • 18-09-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

RTE advertise this as a dance music radio station. However, they seem to only play pre mid nineties records during the day and at night its a lottery because the styles of dance music vary day to day and certain ones will never suit everyone. I accept this but honestly, how anyone can listen to any of the tripe spewed out during the day is beyond me. It's just the worst load of rubbish repeated over and over again. On Sundays they play the Beatport Top 30 which one would assume would or should give a guideline as to what they should be aiming for as these are the most popular downloaded tracks that week! But not once will you hear anything remotely like any of it during the day. Why do they bother even trying if they won't make an effort to play decent eclectic mixes. Dance music in general is extremely popular and one would assume attracts a large audience but RTE just totally skip it. It's something that has annoyed me for some time. I'll be sending them an email but just wanted to acid test my theories first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

I see what you're saying about the daytime stuff but I think the way RTE see it is that they have to cater for everyone.

Can't say I completely agree with you about their night time shows being a lottery. I think Mondays are very housey, Tuesdays are trancey, Wednesday is gay night. Thursday and Friday are a bit of a mixture (Some good stuff though, especially Christian Homan's show) and then I think Sundays are supposedly to be a mix of niche stuff like breakbeat and chill out.

Definately in agreement that the daytime music is a bit naff but I think a lot has to be said for their presenter led stuff.

I'd imagine the only reason why they don't have a full schedule of presenters led programming is simply to do with resources.

Just my 20 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RTÉ Pulse: Dave

Hi Liam,
    Thank you for the comments regarding RTÉ Pulse. I agree the daytime does need attention and yes it is simply a matter at this stage of extreemly limited resources.

The plan for the coming months is to roll back the presenter led shows into the daytime even further. The music will be the next step. We have formed a scheduling team from the presenters who are in the next fortnight going to get busy properly categorising the daytime music and bringing it all in line with the 32 presenter led programmes we have in the evening. Essentially bringing it up to date and presented in a more stranded way.

As with everything nothing happens overnight. We have only been officially on air since last December and have come quite the way with limited resources since then so be patient as we are slowly but surely getting there.

Regards

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Good to see a response here. Cheers for that Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

sorry been down the country with no broadband... thanks for the response good to hear they have plans for the station because it has a lot of potential

liam

Hello all,
    Just to follow up on the thread. We have been busy concentrating on the music on RTÉ Pulse. Any feedback on how you think its sounding now is always helpful.

Regards

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have webstreams been improved beyond 32kbps? Considering wifi radio is the best solution for most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DAB is a fscking joke in this country. Why did RTE bother spending the money launching all those stations when so much of the content is pre-recorded, repeats and bought-in from other radio stations?

I'm so glad I have a wifi radio.

Hi Etho,
    I am presuming you are reffering to RTE Pulse in your post above.

as it stands 31 hours a week of RTE Pulse content is live. The rest from 4pm daily is recorded every week. There is one hour of repeated programming at the moment and it is the Sunday repeat of Greg Brownes Firday dance chart to give listeners on a Sunday a chance to hear it again.

There are currently 33 RTE Pulse presenters making 71 hours of original material each week, Coming from RTE Studios from both Dublin and around the country, representing each genre of dance music.
    We are re-launching the schedule as of the first of December to make the schedule more coherent.
    Please take a chance to look at our schedule and take in the mammoth effort that the presenters put in each week before posting comments on forums.

Regards

Dave

byte wrote: »
    Have webstreams been improved beyond 32kbps? Considering wifi radio is the best solution for most of the country.
    HI Byte,
    I am pleased to say that there are 48k AAC+ streams on there way.

Regards

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I was referring to all the RTE DAB stations. Admittedly I haven't listened to them in about six months but compared to the BBC's DAB output, RTE's is pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

eth0_ wrote: »
    I was referring to all the RTE DAB stations. Admittedly I haven't listened to them in about six months but compared to the BBC's DAB output, RTE's is pretty poor.

Good to see such informed opinion on the board.

byte

DPC wrote: »
    HI Byte,
    I am pleased to say that there are 48k AAC+ streams on there way.

Regards

Dave
    Hi, thanks for the heads up.

Still, be nice to have a 128k AAC+ stream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Any chance of these DAB channels being added to satellite or DTT for us poor country folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Is there any plans to make RTE Chill a 24 hour service? At the moment it is only on thru the night, there is great music on it, but I miss it because I am getting my beauty sleep. It would be great if I could listen to that at work.

byte

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Any chance of these DAB channels being added to satellite or DTT for us poor country folk.
    Yes, good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Pulse is on NTL Channel 943 as far as I know.

Hi all,
    I can also confirm that there are also plans to add RTE Pulse to the DTT platform.

Regards
    Dave

Advertisement