Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Reporters Summary

Options
  • 18-09-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I think this is one of the best changes that the devs are bringing to the game in Season 7 (and there have been lots of changes)

From the docs .....

In addition to the match summary, a reporter's summary will be available. This is an assessment of both clubs' match day performance. The reporter will rate certain aspects of each teams, as well as each individual player. The team ratings provided are: kicking, lineout, scrum, ruck, maul, handling, attack, defense, pick and go, driving, expansive, and creative.

For both team and player ratings, a star rating is provided from 0 to 5 stars in half star increments. This rating is based on the actual abilities of the players going into that match, taking into account form, energy, experience, home ground advantage, and the position a player played in where applicable. The actual performance during the match is then compared to that rating. This is called the performance rating and tells if the team or player played better, worse, or as expected compared to the star rating.

For players only, a third rating will be provided, called the potential rating. To create this rating, the reporter will work out which is the best position based on the player’s skills & attributes, and will compare the player’s star rating to the player’s highest potential rating across all possible positions. Using this rating, managers can see if a player was below their potential in the played position, or reached their potential in the played position.

There are many variables which influence these ratings, such as your players' attributes and skills, the tactics used in the match, and of course, luck. If a player is consistently getting below-potential ratings, you may want to look at the variables that may be contributing to that rating. Study statistics such missed tackles, dropped balls, penalties, and the like that may reveal weaknesses that you either need to improve through training, or find another role for your player where the deficiency won't be as exposed. If your prized winger is never seeing the ball, this might suggest that the match day tactics could be adjusted to provide more opportunities for him to make an impact.

NOTE: All player ratings will be provided based on the first position a player takes on the field.

End Quote.

It would be really great if this was for the youth games also.
    I am gonna be investing 50k from week 1 so this will be a real bonus in getting some good picks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

This sounds an excellent addition to the game, this was one of the areas I found difficult and took alot of time to analyse (player performances). So hopefully this will be a significant aide with a lot of valuable player information

Looking forward to it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think this will definitely make the game easier, but I'm not sure if it'll make it better. To be honest you can get this information from reading through the match. It kinda seems like a cheat for people not bothered to read through the full match report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I just saw a game preview and a reporters summary from one of the New Zealand games.

Really well laid out and some good info to be harvested from them.
    We will get to see ours about 60-120 mins before our games tonight.

They look great but I think they put an end to BRAT !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

They do look good alright.

But is it just me or do the reports no longer tell you exactly how well your player did. As I read it the report gives you how well the player is expected to play, if they played that well (or better/worse) and if they could be better rated in another position. I miss finding out a player who has reputable potential has a tormer and plays princely.

Although thats being picky and they do give lots of other info instead.

Right...so...

Just had an aul match but the reporter's summary puzzles me. The "played to potential in this position" bit has me confused.

For instance my 130kg prop apparently wasn't playing to potential at number 3.
    There were a few other "obvious" positions that apparently weren't up to potential. I'm now rather confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

I have to admit im a tad confused too!

Stars I understand,

Ticks and Crosses, I dont have a clue.

We need to find out what's going on here, I have read and re-read the docs and still cant make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Have to admit that I hadn't scrolled down to the end of the page to see the key. Now I have it's a lot clearer and have to say I like it.

Can you explain it for me? pick a player or two from our game tonight and tell me whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Confused as well :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok, it's morning and fresh brain means that this makes sense now.

Here it is...

The different scenarios and what they mean.

(1) Tick and tick

Played to expectations in his selected position and his star rating achieved cant be improved by playing him elsewhere. (You are playing him in his best position)

(2) Tick and Cross

Played to expectations in his selected position but can get a higher expected star rating by playing in a different position. (You are not playing him in his best position)

(3) Arrow up and Tick

Played above expected rating in his selected position, and this rating achieved cant be improved by playing him elsewhere. (The player MAY NOT be in the best position)

(4) Arrow up and Cross

Played above expected rating in his selected position, but he could play to an ever higher rating in another position (The player is not in his best position)

(5) Arrow down and Tick

Played below expected rating in his selected position, cant improve by playing somewhere else. (The player played below expected rating but he is in the correct position)

(6) Arrow down and Cross

Played below expected rating in his selected position,this rating achieved can be improved if played somewhere else. (The player MAY NOT be in his best position)

I hope that explains it well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Thanks a million :D

I'm still not 100% on the whole position lark. Is it the position relative to other players on the pitch or the best position for the player? Like I said I had a 133kg prop who apparently shouldn't be a prop.
    My only player in a "correct" position was a 2nd string 2nd row who, while being tall also has **** handling... so... I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

jprender wrote: »
    Ok, it's morning and fresh brain means that this makes sense now.

Here it is...

The different scenarios and what they mean.

(1) Tick and tick

Played to expectations in his selected position and his star rating achieved cant be improved by playing him elsewhere. (You are playing him in his best position)

(2) Tick and Cross

Played to expectations in his selected position but can get a higher expected star rating by playing in a different position. (You are not playing him in his best position)

(3) Arrow up and Tick

Played above expected rating in his selected position, and this rating achieved cant be improved by playing him elsewhere. (The player MAY NOT be in the best position)

(4) Arrow up and Cross

Played above expected rating in his selected position, but he could play to an ever higher rating in another position (The player is not in his best position)

(5) Arrow down and Tick

Played below expected rating in his selected position, cant improve by playing somewhere else. (The player played below expected rating but he is in the correct position)

(6) Arrow down and Cross

Played below expected rating in his selected position,this rating achieved can be improved if played somewhere else. (The player MAY NOT be in his best position)

I hope that explains it well enough.

Did you come to this just by your own interpretation or were you quoting/have knowledge from a source linked to blackoutrugby?

I'm still not 100% on the whole position lark. Is it the position relative to other players on the pitch or the best position for the player? Like I said I had a 133kg prop who apparently shouldn't be a prop.
    My only player in a "correct" position was a 2nd string 2nd row who, while being tall also has **** handling... so... I dunno.

The rating is in relation to that player alone and his best position.

Just had a look at your prop, you are playing him at loose-head.
    Loose-head needs more handling than tight-head as they take some lineout ball. How is is handling ? Perhaps the report is telling you that he is more suited to the tight-head role. Also, maybe his handling is really high, hence he might be better placed at hooker. I agree though, he should be front-row. Try switching him to the other side of the scrum and see what result you get.

The 2nd string lock, although not a great player, the reporter has deemed that he is playing the best position that his skill set will allow him to. He will not get a higher rating in any other position.

Effluo wrote: »
    Did you come to this just by your own interpretation or were you quoting/have knowledge from a source linked to blackoutrugby?

This is all me. If you can see anything that doesn't make sense in what I have said, let me know.

My one real point of confusion (even while reading jprender's interpretation) is about if the potential rating is in reference to the star rating that he should achieve or the rating he did achieve

for example tick and tick seems to be straight forward in that he performed to expectations in his best position.

But upwards arrow and tick is either he played better than expected and in his best position. Or there could be a doubt in that his higher than expected performance matches his rating from another position (as jprender said he may not be in his best position). I would have leaned towards the first but not really sure at all.

mar-z wrote: »
    My one real point of confusion (even while reading jprender's interpretation) is about if the potential rating is in reference to the star rating that he should achieve or the rating he did achieve

for example tick and tick seems to be straight forward in that he performed to expectations in his best position.

But upwards arrow and tick is either he played better than expected and in his best position. Or there could be a doubt in that his higher than expected performance matches his rating from another position (as jprender said he may not be in his best position). I would have leaned towards the first but not really sure at all.

First off, it is in relation to what he did achieve

To answer your second point, an upwards arrow and tick doesnt mean that he played better than expected in his best position.

What it means is as follows :-

Lets assume he achieved 6 stars for his performance.
    The upward arrow is telling you that he played better than expected.
    The tick is telling you that he can not achieve better than 6 stars in another position. This does not mean that he is in his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

The tick is telling you that he can not achieve better than 6 stars in another position. This does not mean that he is in his best position.

You're contradicting yourself from the original post...

This is the part of your interpretation that i had a problem with.

When blackout rugby say, " Player reached their potential in the position played" in regards to the second tick. Then i would think that means that they played "this amount of stars well", "this is only as good as the player can play in this particular position" and "he may perform better in a different position"...

That would be my interpretation.
    I take that from the fact that my out half who has a rather high csr only got 1.5 stars in the last game and got the second tick!

(3) Arrow up and Tick

How am I contradicting myself ?

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    I take that from the fact that my out half who has a rather high csr only got 1.5 stars in the last game and got the second tick!

What did he receive to the left of the tick ?

If it is an arrow up, It means that his expected performance in this position is one star or less, and that he can not play better than 1.5 stars in any other position. Flyhalf may be his best position but then again, it may not.

If it is a tick, he also has achieved his maximum potential but is in the right position

If it is an arrow down, he underperformed but is in the right position.

Also, please remember that the rating he received is based on a lot of factors such as form, energy, gameplan etc....

The report is based on these factors, at the time of this particular game.
    If he received 1.5 stars and his form is horrible for instance, and pumped energy, and you played WNWIM, with 20% kicking etc etc; the report tells you that for horrible form, pumped energy, at WNWIM, with 20% kicking, etc etc, he cant play better.

Each report is based on the ever changing factors. He of course can achieve more stars if these factors change. For example, if he is in reputable form.

*** Actually I have just looked at your flyhalf, he is only in moderate form and has CSR of just over 10K. Performance above expectations on one and a half stars seems fair enough.

My flyhalf, decent form, 20000CSR, gets 3 stars playing to expectation given my tactics in the last game.

Ok I think I get it now (or at least I undestand your interpretation jprender). It turns out I was way off.

Your interpretation seems to make sense to me so hopefully the ppl who implemented it were of the same mind. Essentially stars give how well they played, the arrow (or tick) gives if it was above or below expectations for that position, tactics, etc. and the tick/cross tells you if its possible to play better than in this match in another position.

Thanks jprender!

mar-z wrote: »
    Ok I think I get it now (or at least I undestand your interpretation jprender). It turns out I was way off.

Your interpretation seems to make sense to me so hopefully the ppl who implemented it were of the same mind. Essentially stars give how well they played, the arrow (or tick) gives if it was above or below expectations for that position, tactics, etc. and the tick/cross tells you if its possible to play better than in this match in another position.

Spot on.

Just had a look at your prop, you are playing him at loose-head.
    Loose-head needs more handling than tight-head as they take some lineout ball. How is is handling ? Perhaps the report is telling you that he is more suited to the tight-head role. Also, maybe his handling is really high, hence he might be better placed at hooker. I agree though, he should be front-row. Try switching him to the other side of the scrum and see what result you get.

Ah, I was told in these parts long ago that there was no difference between the two props. I'll definitely swap him around and see how he does. Thanks!

Damn it, I swapped the props and got no result. They're both fatties and lack the speed to play elsewhere... what's the deeeeeeal. I'll resume my confusion

Advertisement