Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Postgraduate fees and funding

Options
  • 18-09-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

im trying to refresh my memory regarding the situation surrounding postgraduate qualifications and their fees and funding.

i already possess a masters which i received fees and grant for from a local authority.
    im just wondering would i be able to get fees and funding from a vec or local authority for a phd?

i seem to remember reading somewhere that they only fund one postgraduate qualification

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As long as you are progressing up the education ladder and fulfil the other requirement required by the co. council, then you should get funding for your PhD.

There used to be a stipulation that you could only get a grant for one postgrad course, but that changed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

convert wrote: »
    As long as you are progressing up the education ladder and fulfil the other requirement required by the co. council, then you should get funding for your PhD.

There used to be a stipulation that you could only get a grant for one postgrad course, but that changed a few years ago.

are you positive because i did my masters in the 2007/2008 and it was the case that they would only fund one postgrad then as i asked the question.

i have been working for the last two years but this years income has been tiny and i would be applying for late 2010 start so would hope to be ok for funding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Was it the local authority or the college who told you? A friend of mine got a grant for their entire time in college: undergrad, MA and PhD. They're just finishing up now.

Sometimes it varies from local authority. Some will only pay for 3 years of a PhD, others for 4 years, despite the fact they're all supposed to do the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

there are different funding bodies such as ircset and enterprise ireland that might fund projects that fulfill their criteria but they probably need to be pretty selective these days

pwd wrote: »
    there are different funding bodies such as ircset and enterprise ireland that might fund projects that fulfill their criteria but they probably need to be pretty selective these days

yeah i know about the funding bodies im just wondering whether i can receive a grant as well from a vec/local authority as per my details above

• Advertisement

I get funding from enterprise ireland. You can't get a grant in addition to this funding.

pwd wrote: »
    I get funding from enterprise ireland. You can't get a grant in addition to this funding.

trust me it is possible to get vec/la grant in addition to private funding.

thats not the issue im asking about.

im curious as to whether an individual can get a grant for a phd having already received a grant for a msc from a vec/la

You can get funding up to a max of €16,000 and get a local authority grant as well (all going from memory, it's in the grant regulations somewhere).

i remember that i read that you can't get a grant in addition to funding...either in documents about the grant or about the enterprise ireland funding

ok I'm hoping to be wrong about this.
    Here is my situation:
    I started doing a research PhD in september 2007.
    I do not have a masters so I am registered as a masters student until I transfer - I hopefully will have transferred by the end of october 2009.
    I am a mature independent, and am not earning money aside from my stipend.

So:
    Is it too late to apply for a grant for this year?
    Am I able to apply for a grant now, or should I have done it at the start of the study?
    Am I considered a masters or a PhD student in this context, and does it still count as the same course after I transfer?

A bit mad to think I could be eligible for the grant this whole time tbh

the post near the end on this thread suggests they are being fairly strict at the moment!:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055656235

my stipend is 14k(ish) + fees

• Advertisement
Advertisement