Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

free wav to mp3 conversion software

• 18-09-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Has anyone recently downloaded any free wav to mp3 conversion software recently that they would recommend ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

chughes wrote: »
    Has anyone recently downloaded any free wav to mp3 conversion software recently that they would recommend ?

iTunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Mediamonkey

http://download.cnet.com/MediaMonkey-Standard/3000-2141_4-10109807.html?part=dl-101733&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=11002265

Or
    Creative mediasource.
    It only comes with creative mp3 players but has a great convert feature. If you google youll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Tallon wrote: »
    iTunes?

No need to download and install all that bloat for the simple function of converting a WAV to MP3.

LameXP - Convert WAVs to MP3s.

Audacity - Might come in handy if you need to edit the WAV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

This works very well too
    Free MP3/WMA converter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

altomp3 gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

WinFF - Free and safe to use.

(yes, it does audio..)

http://winff.org/

---

If you're going straight from CD.

EAC - Free and safe to use.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

On most of these suggestions make sure there isnt a variable bit rate option ticked.

Otherwise as it says youll get one bit rate say 128 then it might be 122 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Makaveli wrote: »

The best there is but not free.
    jeffk wrote: »
    On most of these suggestions make sure there isnt a variable bit rate option ticked.

Otherwise as it says youll get one bit rate say 128 then it might be 122 etc

Variable Bit Rate means that in any point in time the bit rate is set according to what is required. It's not a bad thing or something one should actively avoid. The only problem with it is that it can lead to variable file sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

VBR will be at the stated bitrate or below, this can make a file smaller.

CBR, constant bit rate is fixed at the stated rate.

Most of LAME's popular profiles use VBR, as does iTunes. Not sure if this is by default or not.

There's no reason to avoid VBR. If you're bugged about the quality of 'lossy', move to something like Flac or Wavpack etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Media

I could find no freeware program that would fully satisfy my needs. So I bought a commercial solution and never regret it. It's called AudioConverter Studio. But if you don't want to pay for a program so I agree with Makaveli that you can download dbpoweramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Folks, many thanks for all your advice so far. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just as a matter of interest, is it possible to attach a wav file into a post here on boards?

yes, you can put it in a zip file.

But pighead can't stream it if thats what you mean.

here's what they support

bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg kmz pdf png psd sc2replay txt xls xlsx zip

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Tallon wrote: »
    yes, you can put it in a zip file.

But pighead can't stream it if thats what you mean.

here's what they support

bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg kmz pdf png psd sc2replay txt xls xlsx zip

_
    Hmmm, thanks Tallon. Not too clued in with all this techy stuff. What I'm wondering is, just say I created a poetry reading contest in the poetry forum. Is it possible for me to attach a file in my post of me reading a poem?

So next poster just clicks my attachment and hears Pighead's beautiful Dundalk tones.

No.

They can click the link, save the file onto their desktop, and play it that way, but they cannot play it directly from boards.

Unless the uploaded it to youtube or similar and embedded it in a post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Pighead wrote: »
    Hmmm, thanks Tallon. Not too clued in with all this techy stuff. What I'm wondering is, just say I created a poetry reading contest in the poetry forum. Is it possible for me to attach a file in my post of me reading a poem?

So next poster just clicks my attachment and hears Pighead's beautiful Dundalk tones.

You're not well, are you Pighead ?

[edit, to make it somewhat useful:]
    Personally I'd use Audacity and lameenc.dll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Media wrote: »
    I could find no freeware program that would fully satisfy my needs. So I bought a commercial solution and never regret it. It's called AudioConverter Studio. But if you don't want to pay for a program so I agree with Makaveli that you can download dbpoweramp.

What were you doing?

Depends what I'm doing but I like for splitting wavs

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

Advertisement