Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

spacetweek wrote: »
    Has construction started on the ground yet?

Just looked at dcc cameras. And nothing happening from the view down the naas road towards the mad cow

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

rameire wrote: »
    Just looked at dcc cameras. And nothing happening from the view down the naas road towards the mad cow

I doubt they'd start on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What's the story behind the green plywood wall on the Belgard road side of the junction? It has the look of a site that hasn't seen activity in a while?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

They've been talking about putting in a GSJ at Newlands Cross for over 40 years - now let's hope construction starts in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Deedsie wrote: »
    What's the story behind the green plywood wall on the Belgard road side of the junction? It has the look of a site that hasn't seen activity in a while?

Its empty space behind that, and where the temporary traffic diversion lanes will be while the bridge is built.

• Advertisement

Any sign of activity? I was hoping they would prioritise this over the M11 part.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

If you want to keep an eye, the first bit of activity will be to the right of this (live) image. This is where prep will start for the temporary lanes and where I'd imagine a site will be assigned for plant and equipment.

Site16Camera85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Any sign of activity? I was hoping they would prioritise this over the M11 part.

Realistically speaking it will take 3-4 weeks before we see boots on the ground. Even then work/progress might not be immediately noticeable depending on where they start the works e.g. behind the hoarding. I can see them leaving up as much of the hoarding as possible until they have to take it down to either create access for machinery or actually start creating temporary lanes, so I'm not expecting much to be visible here for until July.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    If you want to keep an eye, the first bit of activity will be to the right of this (live) image. This is where prep will start for the temporary lanes and where I'd imagine a site will be assigned for plant and equipment.

Site16Camera85.jpg
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Realistically speaking it will take 3-4 weeks before we see boots on the ground. Even then work/progress might not be immediately noticeable depending on where they start the works e.g. behind the hoarding. I can see them leaving up as much of the hoarding as possible until they have to take it down to either create access for machinery or actually start creating temporary lanes, so I'm not expecting much to be visible here for until July.

Thanks for the reply, bit disappointing though... I was hoping they would try take advantage of the kids being off school time. Wishful thinking I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Thanks for the reply, bit disappointing though... I was hoping they would try take advantage of the kids being off school time. Wishful thinking I suppose

They will, I'd expect to see a lot of, if not all, the work on the diversion lanes done by september. Once those are in place (hopefully) traffic impact will be minimal.

Just remember that the bridge will take about a year to be put in place, so both this simmer and next summer will come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

First track machine moved in this morning, working all day across from Joels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Davy wrote: »
    First track machine moved in this morning, working all day across from Joels
    Good - is that behind the camera in the shots above? Can't see it.

its right opposite joels, hidden behind a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Work to both sides on the south now. Seems to be new catch netting for the golf club too, a practical consideration that

MYOB wrote: »
    Work to both sides on the south now. Seems to be new catch netting for the golf club too, a practical consideration that
    Would the golfer not get a bonus point for using a JCB's bucket to shoot the ball back! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I could see plant in behind the hoarding this morning working away. Just about visible at the back of the camera pic.

... found a bigger camera pic too :-)

Site16Camera85.jpg

It will also be interesting to see how these change over the construction time:
    CastleW%20to%20Newlands.JPG
    longmile%20to%20newlands.JPG

Well, what is happening out by newlands cross now? I presume it will e a good while before there is much of a change?

There is a gate opposite joels hotel.
    behind there they have cleared some space and put in their lovely Green bam containers/porta cabins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

rameire wrote: »
    There is a gate opposite joels hotel.
    behind there they have cleared some space and put in their lovely Green bam containers/porta cabins.
    Yea, had dinner in Joel's yesterday, the gate across the road was open and you could see in.

Not much good to anyone but I took a quick shot of the site as I passed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I believe there was to be a sod turning exercise on the n11 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

It may have been answered already, but any idea why Kildare County Council is managing the Newlands Cross build, according to the NRA website.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N7NewlandsCrossJunctionImprovementScheme/SchemeName,16446,en.html

Kildare RDO design road schemes for a wide area. Quite a bit of experience at this stage. Not every county has a RDO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

And they generally do a very good job.

BAM signs on all the fencing, and also the NRA scheme sign is up - and significantly off line, suspect its so it doesn't have to be moved again.

Indeed with the first phase of construction being those temporary lanes inside the hoarding, we won't see much from the road for some time I'd say.

Ladies and gentlemen I can officially announce that we have our first digger onsite!

ArNe4eB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ladies and gentlemen I can officially announce that we have our first digger onsite!

About a month too late im afraid :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84611879&postcount=552

• Advertisement

ha!

There is some nice visible digging on the camera now.

Advertisement