Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've thrown cones along the edges all the way from the Red Cow now if coming from the city/M50 so I'd imagine there'll be some disruption soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

They seem to be spending more time then is needed on the new fancy stone wall near the old barn these last few weeks

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

They are out for the next week from 10pm-6am working on the outbound carriageway.

Just finishing up now by the sounds of things.Will have to buy some earplugs for tomorrow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Definitely some work visible on the traffic cam view now:
    site16Camera85.jpg

According to kreator on skyscrapercity there will be Lane movement in a month.
    You should check out all of his photos from August.
    Pure dedication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rameire wrote: »
    They seem to be spending more time then is needed on the new fancy stone wall near the old barn these last few weeks

Just for opinions, define spending more time than is needed to build a hand built wall ? :confused:

listermint wrote: »
    Just for opinions, define spending more time than is needed to build a hand built wall ? :confused:

I just think they could have built that towards the end of the contract instead of flaffing about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Pure dedication.

Seems mad that just as schools return the major road works start!! Pity they couldn't have got the contracts sorted abit quicker and work underway to start the disruption in June rather than Sept.

I suppose it will be going on for up to two years so can't avoid disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Seems mad that just as schools return the major road works start!! Pity they couldn't have got the contracts sorted abit quicker and work underway to start the disruption in June rather than Sept.

I suppose it will be going on for up to two years so can't avoid disruption.

Was just thinking this myself, I'm gona be commuting up and down to college everyday :o fun times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just for opinions, define spending more time than is needed to build a hand built wall ?
    what was wrong with using pre cast concrete slabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

They are not just building the wall.... they are moving all the services too (eircom lines etc etc). All these need to be moved before the traffic can be re-directed onto the new lanes (which are also under construction now).The building of the wall is not holding anything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In all my years on this forum I've never seen a road project dissected so much :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pure dedication.
    Yes - he is the Carchaeologist of Newlands Cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what was wrong with using pre cast concrete slabs?

Existing wall is stone, so match like for like. If it was your wall you would probable want same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Was just thinking this myself, I'm gona be commuting up and down to college everyday :o fun times ahead!

I also was thinking this, but MAYBE they just might have planned this so they only have to go through one winter instead of 2? I don't know, I just wish it was done now.

Already see an increase on the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PMAC08

Does anyone know if any works will be carried out on the outbound merge from the Red Cow to the new layout. There could be all sorts of fun there with some traffic from the M50 southbound trying to get to the left lanes for belgard/clondakin and m50 northbound traffic trying to get to the overpass on the right. All merging with outbound city traffic within about 100 meters.

I think they will have a bit more than 100 meters and the fact there will be no lights at Newlands cross for outbound traffic it will make things easier for people merging left and right as there will be no jam.

Not a lot happening to date that's caught on the camera but we are starting to see activity towards the end of the clip. Missing a few dates due to niggles with my script pulling images (sorted now) and quality a bit reduced for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

PMAC08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any works will be carried out on the outbound merge from the Red Cow to the new layout. There could be all sorts of fun there with some traffic from the M50 southbound trying to get to the left lanes for belgard/clondakin and m50 northbound traffic trying to get to the overpass on the right. All merging with outbound city traffic within about 100 meters.

Got to say it's already a bit of a disaster for the traffic coming off the M50 SB offramp. Don't know how many times I have seen trucks trying to swing over onto the left lane clipping cars coming from the LMR direction. Saw another one there yesterday around 18h30.

Also got to say can see another accident happening on the NB lane for traffic coming from NC towards town...where some clown is in the LH lane but then just drives over the solid painted lines to go onto the SB M50.

MADNESS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Coming off the m50 sb and gettting across to exit up over the bridge for the lias/monastery rd is going to be a disaster when its all done. Theres be a constant flow of traffic coming off the m50 nb aswell as coming from town on the naas road . How will all those cars get across 4 lanes to exit?

Any update as to when we can expect to be using the temp lanes (and the jams begin!)?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Any update as to when we can expect to be using the temp lanes (and the jams begin!)?
    Well I was checking the traffic cam pics yesterday and there is plenty of work left to be done. Actually they appear to have made little progress really, at least in the field of view of the camera.

at least the wall looks great, :rolleyes:
    hope it doesn't get damaged from the road movement.
    they have removed most of the hoarding along the n7 and replaced it with mesh over temp metal fencing.
    there is also a lot of concrete piping that is sitting there waiting to be put into place, so that should be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wall being constructed to its finished standard is likely a planning consent requirement.

The last couple of days they have started to lay down hard core. So looks like they are getting the bed ready for the temporary lanes. Should be a few weeks before we see any t-mac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

% wise, could anyone give a best guesstimate % of how far along this project is?

If they were building walls 99%
    For the complete project 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Friday evening traffic coming out of Dublin for the last few weeks has been horrendous, tailbacks on the M50 trying to get off at junction 9 (N7 south), Newlands cross and the Naas dual carriageway out to junction 11 (M9) on the M7 motorway. I find it really hard to believe that Newlands cross flyover will alleviate all of this. I think as soon as the Newlands cross flyover is done the M7 from junction 9 to junction 11 should be widened to 3 lanes?

Is there any possibility of this ever happening? If so how long would the build phase of a project like this take? Is it even feasible for the government to consider a project like this? Or are there more important projects to do first?

http://nra.ie/mapping/n7-naas-newbridge-bypass-/index.xml

It's being planned anyway, hopefully it will happen at some stage.

Advertisement