Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Does the road come back in time for the Luas P&R exit?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Big changes now starting to happen. I see main bridge supports now poured and precast walling sections being put in place along the sides. It's starting to put a shape on things. No opportunity to take any pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the speed limit gonna be from M50 out to where the old 100 limit applies?
    When it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

What's the speed limit gonna be from M50 out to where the old 100 limit applies?
    When it's finished.
    I'd like to think it will be 100kph all the way to Naas but don't recall seeing that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

My bus from cork last tuesday turned left before works and picked up the n4 via lucan would it have been congested at 11.30 in morning or was the driver taken no chances. Coming home I passed via newlands x at 20.30 no hold ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Roryhy wrote: »
    I'd like to think it will be 100kph all the way to Naas but don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Unlikely, given the bad/dangerous design of the junction, for example merging from M50 southbound to Bowstring Bridge. 60km/h on that stretch is too much for the 'skills' of the average Irish motorist.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

ninja900 wrote: »
    Unlikely, given the bad/dangerous design of the junction, for example merging from M50 southbound to Bowstring Bridge. 60km/h on that stretch is too much for the 'skills' of the average Irish motorist.

Bowstring Bridge?? Which bridge is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Bridge over the N7 from Luas to Monastery Rd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ninja900 wrote: »
    Bit much - the length of road, 200 metres, provided for this 5-lane merge is way too short, skills or no.

Ideally, the merge/diverge lanes on the southside of the N7 at Bowstring would be removed and moved here.
    This would have other advantages: It sorts out the left-in-left-out junction here. The current lanes are on a steep hill with a tight bend. It would make it easier to link in the proposed long-distance cycle lane around the back of the Luas P+R which will use the Bowstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RANDAL

How long before we are using flyover, I'm guessing Nov at latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

RANDAL wrote: »
    How long before we are using flyover, I'm guessing Nov at latest.
    They seem to be doing a good work with the flyover. The construction of the supportive structures seems to be progressing well-at least to me. The supportive pylons are there on both sides of traffic lines and the wall seems to be taking shape really well. It wouldn't surprise me if they get the flyover sorted much sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Pictures? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Geogregor wrote: »
    Pictures? :rolleyes:
    Just use the traffic cam!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

spacetweek wrote: »

Our version of the Great Wall of China is really taking shape - where's the flyover though??? :D:D:D

spacetweek wrote: »

It is not the same. Where are the Boards.ie ground troopers?
    ;)

It is not the same. Where are the Boards.ie ground troopers?
    ;)

Well, We'd hate to disappoint, so here is a grab from my bike-cam this morning. You can see from the vans position that the landfill for the "Ramp" is well under way on the dublin side.

299235.jpg

Wow, it's going faster than I expected.
    Thanks for photo.

But honestly, we need Kreator. Where is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunno, no more photos here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1599158&page=9 since August :(

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

two pics from today

1 pic is of the south side of the junction, and its supporting pillars for the beams that will bridge the gap.
    on the south side of the junction, they have put in a good bit of the new curbing for the slip road that will run parallel to the flyover.
    I assume this will be part of the next phase that will open to assist the building process.

pic 2 is of the northern side of the junction, not really clear, taken from hands free kit so didnt get to mess with it.
    they have also put in a lot of new curbing on the northern side of the junction that would have been originally the bus lane.

299618.jpg

299619.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Red arrows in lights! About time, far easier to read than two full red circles which one can be mistaken for your direction. May not be too long for red arrows to make an appearance at O'Connell Bridge and other busy Dublin junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    Red arrows in lights! About time, far easier to read than two full red circles which one can be mistaken for your direction. May not be too long for red arrows to make an appearance at O'Connell Bridge and other busy Dublin junctions.

I agree. However, these will not be used consistently.

It seems they are really steaming ahead.
    I suppose precast beams will be used rather than structure cast in situ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suppose precast beams will be used rather than structure cast in situ?

Really has to be to allow the road underneath stay open. Even if a box mould was put in place, the risk of concrete dripping on to a car would be not worth it. Precast can go in in a night.

MYOB wrote: »
    Really has to be to allow the road underneath stay open. Even if a box mould was put in place, the risk of concrete dripping on to a car would be not worth it. Precast can go in in a night.

I think it has probably more to do with speed of the construction and the fact that this bridge will be really straight and simple, no bend of the structure.

Bridges are often cast over the active roads below, if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think it has probably more to do with speed of the construction and the fact that this bridge will be really straight and simple, no bend of the structure.

Bridges are often cast over the active roads below, if necessary.

I've never seen it done in Ireland at all, not over an active route.

We've had cases of installing precast go horribly wrong as well though: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0552/D.0552.200204170099.html (that'd be the R449 now, support beams for a dual carriageway collapsed on the railway line below)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

MYOB wrote: »
    I've never seen it done in Ireland at all, not over an active route.

We've had cases of installing precast go horribly wrong as well though: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0552/D.0552.200204170099.html (that'd be the R449 now, support beams for a dual carriageway collapsed on the railway line below)

If I'm not mistaken, it was done in Limerick to facilitate the N18 passing through Ballykeefe over the active Ballinacurra road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.643386,-8.645683,3a,75y,246.27h,78.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4-mOAnfi5_mm1_CVV_MNdA!2e0

That bridge was built for the road that was originally there but was under it during construction if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Can anyone answer this. Why are there only 4 supporting pillars on the west side of the newlands cross compared to 6 on the dublin side of the junction. Are they going to add more supporting pillars later on? Not enough room at the moment to add another 2 pillars to that side of the road?

Here is a driveby from this morning. More to give those who don't pass regularly an update...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Here is a driveby from this morning. More to give those who don't pass regularly an update...

Thanks for the vid - but do stop lines not apply to bikes any more?

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    Thanks for the vid - but do stop lines not apply to bikes any more?
    Looks like he edited out the "wait".

Advertisement