Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

some craic is gonna he had at new lands when the kiddies are back to school next week!

I was just thinking the very same as i stuck there (inbound) yesterday evening. The no. of inbound lanes is totally inadequate. I know it's very difficult to work and keep the road fully open but it really is going to be more chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I think they could speed-up things signifficantly. I drive 5 days a week on that road and I can see very very little progress. A handful of people doing very little is what I witness on a daily basis. One would think that they would work 15 hours a day to get the project completed ASAP and move to something else but they are just taking a long time. The outbound section is better as people are used to navigating it. The inbound lanes are noty the best and can be very confusing. There's signs but unless eye-sight is very good, easy missed. No actual road signage other than on the far left lane (previous bus lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is there any chance of the flyover bit opening before schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I drive it everyday too and I actually think they are making good progress and that they have done well to minimise disruption at peak times.

We might be in for some pain in early September when the schools are back as people get used to it again. But I'd imagaine it woudln't be for too long though as the next step will surely be to get the bridge open and operating before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Idbatterim wrote: »

It is in fact opening a bit before schedule, it's planned to be complete by Christmas but the original date was February 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

regedit wrote: »
    I think they could speed-up things signifficantly. I drive 5 days a week on that road and I can see very very little progress. A handful of people doing very little is what I witness on a daily basis. One would think that they would work 15 hours a day to get the project completed ASAP and move to something else but they are just taking a long time. The outbound section is better as people are used to navigating it. The inbound lanes are noty the best and can be very confusing. There's signs but unless eye-sight is very good, easy missed. No actual road signage other than on the far left lane (previous bus lane).

Unless its all first time travellers every day theres really no excuse for people not knowing what they are are after the first couple of days when the current layout started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Idbatterim wrote: »

Sean O'Neill (NRA spokesman) was on was on George Hook 's show last Thursday - hoping to have the flyover "done" for Christmas. Comment approx 7:45.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If the flyover is open in time for Christmas that would be great. They are really making very good progress on the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Anyone know why the traffic cam on Newlands Cross is currently turned off & has been for the last couple of weeks? Is it being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

The M50 side of the main line is being prepped for blacktop, propping has been removed from under the new bridge so it's looking good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Anyone know why the traffic cam on Newlands Cross is currently turned off & has been for the last couple of weeks? Is it being moved?

Noticed that, bit of a pain as it was rather useful in determining if it was worth a detour before setting off. The SDCC camera for N7 Green Isle is the next best but you don't get the outbound angle just inbound.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/roads-traffic/live-cameras

http://traffic.southdublin.ie/TrafficCamImages/Greenisle/snap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Going to Limerick was grand.

Coming back in not so much,going along,grand M50 right,bang im suddenly in M50N not S. Cue panic amidst people flying up Belgard lane cutting in front of me. Few minutes later lanes open up and I turned into the lane onto M50S.

I dunno why there is so poor marking for each M50,then once your in you cant get out and then no wait doesn't matter you can just change lane. It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

jeffk wrote: »
    Going to Limerick was grand.

Coming back in not so much,going along,grand M50 right,bang im suddenly in M50N not S. Cue panic amidst people flying up Belgard lane cutting in front of me. Few minutes later lanes open up and I turned into the lane onto M50S.

I dunno why there is so poor marking for each M50,then once your in you cant get out and then no wait doesn't matter you can just change lane. It doesn't make sense.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

going from Limerick home to Blanch I found the signal etc a mess compared to the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

JupiterKid wrote: »
    If the flyover is open in time for Christmas that would be great. They are really making very good progress on the junction.

Having seen the burst they have made in the last week, I wouldn't be surprised to have the flyover open by the end of September. Another 2-3 weeks will see it looking close to finished, signage & railings aside. Plenty of work to do afterwards on the Belgard road etc afterwards to keep them there till Xmas.

The inbound lanes are a mess though. the sooner they are finished with the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

paulbok wrote: »
    Having seen the burst they have made in the last week, I wouldn't be surprised to have the flyover open by the end of September. Another 2-3 weeks will see it looking close to finished, signage & railings aside. .

I hope so. Was stuck inbound on Sunday evening. Was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think the worst impacts have all been outside of rush hour when they try to do any major works (especially the weekend).

I'd agree that another month or two they should be looking to open the bridge and get traffic moving across it. They'll then have to fix up all the temporary roads etc. and tidy around to make it look good before finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

NRA traffic cam is working again. Progress looks great, can't wait till it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

on the dublin side of the fly over it looks like they have setup the steel bars for the central drain to be put in place so that should be done soon.
    also looks like a large tar mac puterdowner things has been brough on site.
    id say they will have an inbound lane going up and over by middle november by the speed that are working at in the last 2 weeks.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

they have a lot of the new lamp posts in place,
    they are also starting to put in place the walls on the Dublin side of the flyover, these go on top of the capping stones.

they have alot of the capping stones either in place or waitning to go into place on the Kildare side of the flyover,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Tarmac started this morning on the Dublin side for the flyover lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

I heard today.The first cars will be over the bridge on the October bank holiday.

this is a picture of the wall that is going on top of the capping stones.

321083.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was wondering what they'd have for wind protection (I'm a biker.) Would get pretty blowy there on the elevated section if there was no solid wall.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Walked along the naas road earlier and the work on the newlands cross is flying along. The dry weather has helped I think in the progress and I wouldn't be surprised to see the project finished way ahead of it's target date of spring next year. Personally I can't wait to see it finished as it would halved my commute time to work. Always felt the newlands cross junction made a mental(in your head) barrier between tallaght and clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

is it my imagination or is the span of the bridge massive? (i mean for driving under it) like it looks like it could accommodate 6 lanes in each direction and looks about twice as wide as the belgard / fonthill road road? and also looks out of alignment - i.e. the belgard and fonthill road line up to pass under one section of the underneath the flyover (western side)

it is that wide as it will also accommodate at some time in the far future, the Metro.

as for my picture of the wall above, I think that this is the end piece of the wall, and it will only be a wall over the crest of the bridge and to the same point on the other side,
    they seem to have started to install a metal fence/barrier from the wall down to normal road level.

I was passing on Saturday and stopped to take some pictures,
    the location is from Esso beside Joels.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

rameire wrote: »
    I was passing on Saturday and stopped to take some pictures,
    the location is from Esso beside Joels.

Wow, looks great, didn't realise the tarmac was so progressed. Is the deck of the bridge complete, will they be able to lay blacktop across it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement