Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Originally a new offline built was expected to be done between Naas and a new junction on the M50. However, this was scrapped for both cost purposes and so the Naas road would have 3 lanes in time for the Ryder Cup.

The new motorway would have had 1 junction less than the current Naas Road.

Cheers bud. I was aware of the M7 plans and it been the reason for the lack of an M50 junction 8 but I thought the N/M7 junction re numbering happened after these plans had changed. They can call Newlands what ever they want once it's finished ASAP lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

medoc wrote: »
    Will this be Junction 1a when finished? Why wasn't a number left when the N/M7 junctions were re numbered?
    In fact junctions are also proposed to be built at Millennium Park on the Naas Bypass and Tootenhill west of Rathcoole. Junction numbers weren't reserved for those either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

rameire wrote: »
    This will be the real boundary wall when all things are finished.

Yup working away on it.

323730.jpg

What happens to the land being used currently for temporary lanes, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I presume it reverts back to the golf course and any other landowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,849 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Those lanes will be repurposed as far as I remember. Outbound, 2 lanes (right and central) for turning towards clondalkin at newlands cross. bus lane (left) for straight on and a lane left of that again for turning towards tallagh. You'd need the lanes the other side to take the traffic coming from tallagh and clondalkin heading towards naas, merging with the flyover as it comes down.

The other side, inbound, would be the same set up, I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

jd wrote: »
    Yup working away on it.

323730.jpg

What happens to the land being used currently for temporary lanes, I wonder?

Why didn't they use plain blocks for the inner leaf, if it is going to be covered up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why didn't they use plain blocks for the inner leaf, if it is going to be covered up?

That image can be deceiving.
    You're looking at 2 different walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The blocks on the front wall are the same as the small blocks on the other wall which is probably a couple of meters back, probably bounding a single lane road leading off the main thruway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

the space between the two walls are where the permanent lanes of traffic for heading to clondalkin and onto belgard road and the bus lane will be.
    the space on this side of the nearest wall will be where all the cows will station themselves to look at this pretty wall.
    this wall on completion will join up to the first lovely wall that was built up beside the farm shed close to the luas.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Nice to see proper block work being used here as opposed to the slabs on the bridge ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Nice to see proper block work being used here as opposed to the slabs on the bridge ramp.

Why? I thought the precast makes perfect sense from a cost and speed of install point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

ciarsd wrote: »
    Why? I thought the precast makes perfect sense from a cost and speed of install point of view.

I just thing that as the structure has a very long, it's nice to see a little craftsmanship in the detail... Like the old walls of Connemara :-)
    I remember when the n11 was widened at foxrock all the walling was hand built...added to construction but looks very clean and integrates well these years later. The slabs on the ramps at newlands look a bit "cheap" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

They really seem to be flying getting blacktop down!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Roryhy wrote: »
    They really seem to be flying getting blacktop down!

From Esso to the peak of the bridge seems to be fully complete, with markings installed for cats eyes this evening by the looks of it. Plenty of asphalt still needed on the kildare side of the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

When is the bridge opening, 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Someday wrote: »
    When is the bridge opening, 3 weeks?

Thats what the last update said. They expect to have cars going over the ramp by the bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There's a great view of the flyover from the Luas P&R bridge, will try to get a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

cargo wrote: »
    Thats what the last update said. They expect to have cars going over the ramp by the bank holiday weekend.
    That would be brillant news for me. I have 5 trips to Dublin over November. That will get rid of the Stop and go traffic. Now they will have to expand the road from Naas to Cork Motorway from two to three lanes. It is hectic at rush hours traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

limklad wrote: »
    That would be brillant news for me. I have 5 trips to Dublin over November. That will get rid of the Stop and go traffic. Now they will have to expand the road from Naas to Cork Motorway from two to three lanes. It is hectic at rush hours traffic.

They're up to something around the m7/9 junction lately, felling trees, a few resurfacing machines too here and there, down to one lane, dunno if they're planning ahead but somethings going on

They're up to something around the m7/9 junction lately, felling trees, a few resurfacing machines too here and there, down to one lane, dunno if they're planning ahead but somethings going on
    I already saw that last weekend when I was up there. Three different spots they reduce the south bound lanes to one lane. They were working late at night when I traveled back down to Limerick on Saturday night. In fairness, the work needed to be done also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Pavement works are taking place between Junction 11 and 12 until December. Completely unrelated to the upgrade works proposed for the M7 Naas/ Newbridge bypass upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

spacetweek wrote: »
    There's a great view of the flyover from the Luas P&R bridge, will try to get a pic.

There sure is!

Top tip: don't try and get a shot at night -- they've stuck a big spotlight shining right into the lens!

Looking forward to going back when it's finished and lit properly.

15286217620_0f4a200a82_o.jpgIMG_9381 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Nice shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fantastic shot.

csd wrote: »
    There sure is!

Top tip: don't try and get a shot at night -- they've stuck a big spotlight shining right into the lens!

/csd
    There is me thinking, that they were considerate, in putting in new orange signs for us to bend around to the left to avoid that new-found star, right in the middle of the feckin' new road. The streaky orange and red strips is going a bit too far with new directions!!

No, it looks even better this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

15286217620_0f4a200a82_o.jpg

/csd
    limklad wrote: »
    There is me thinking, that they were considerate, in putting in new orange signs for us to bend around to the left to avoid that new-found star, right in the middle of the feckin' new road. The streaky orange and red strips is going a bit too far with new directions!!

They were filming Back to The Future 4". needed several retakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

There sure is!

Looking forward to going back when it's finished and lit properly.

/csd

It looks like the 6 lanes will be pretty narrow judging by that photo. Are they putting in a central median?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

on the city side they appear to have the markers down for the lines to be painted, assuming the final surface is on so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone have any theories on whether or not this will make northbound m50 traffic in the evenings better or worse?

Better in the sense that traffic can exit easier but as there are no lights, the traffic going northbound (N7 inbound) will no longer be staggered.

Advertisement