Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

tonc76 wrote: »
    Planning permission has been sought (and possibly granted?) to increase the N7 to 3 lanes from Naas north to the M7/M9 split.

Right, but I meant the bit of the N7 that the Newlands Cross flyover attaches to, which is already 3 lane and lacking in room for expansion. People are calling a 3 lane flyover short-sighted, but I can't see the rest of the Red Cow to Naas section actually gaining a 4th lane anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

MJohnston wrote: »
    Surely it'd make no difference anyway - I'd imagine the next stage in increasing N7 capacity would be to build an entirely new alignment, rather than try and shove in 4 lanes.

Ahh the mysterious and ever elusive Junction 8!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Dummy wrote: »
    It would make absolutely no difference.

Didn't you know that when you join a 3 lane motorway in Ireland, you drive straight out to the middle lane. Then when the coast is clear, you join the outside overtaking lane & stay there for the rest of your journey.

I reckon, that in Ireland, that the inside lane will be for potted plants, café bars & street entertainment.

You forgot to add the wagon trailer adverts..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irish drivers cant use 3 lanes correctly. 4 lanes would cause mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dummy wrote: »
    It would make absolutely no difference.

Didn't you know that when you join a 3 lane motorway in Ireland, you drive straight out to the middle lane. Then when the coast is clear, you join the outside overtaking lane & stay there for the rest of your journey.

I reckon, that in Ireland, that the inside lane will be for potted plants, café bars & street entertainment.

They should only build roads with lanes 3, 4 and 5. That way everyone can be in the overtaking lane(s) all the time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

With on ongoing madness at Newlands cross and the tailbacks to J11 M7/M9 on Fridays.

Does anyone know a route to avoid this? I got stuck for hours here on Friday.

I have taken the R448 to Naas Kilcullen and back via to curragh to get back onto the M7 to avoid the tailbacks from N7 to J11 but its slow too and the roads are bad,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

mruser2014 wrote: »
    With on ongoing madness at Newlands cross and the tailbacks to J11 M7/M9 on Fridays.

Does anyone know a route to avoid this? I got stuck for hours here on Friday.

I have taken the R448 to Naas Kilcullen and back via to curragh to get back onto the M7 to avoid the tailbacks from N7 to J11 but its slow too and the roads are bad,

Thanks

What i usually do is go the n4 out of the city, first exit off to liffey valley, head towards clondalkin and take the right at the second set of lights, follow that road and left at the roundabout, which takes you up to j2 on the n7, i go along till castlewarden and turn off there and go kill, johnstown, naas, newbridge, and back that way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

cgcsb wrote: »
    Irish drivers cant use 3 lanes correctly. 4 lanes would cause mayhem.

Nothing especially Irish about that.

I frequently drive in the UK where most of the main M-ways are 3 lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

But they know what to use them...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Middle lane morons are pretty common in the UK: http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/middle_lane.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Plenty of good aerial images on this website, even if they aren't up to date
    http://www.n7n11.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/013-150x150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Looking at NRA traffic cameras they are working on the Western end of the site this morning. Should get an idea how they will join up the flyover and the N7. It will be nice to see the road levelled off this end as it seems to be the last bit that was totally uneven.

Stark wrote: »
    Middle lane morons are pretty common in the UK: http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/middle_lane.htm

I'd say they're common everywhere in the world. The problem is that if you're a timid driver, you'll always stick to the middle lane because you don't have to deal with mergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote: »
    They are, but nowhere near at the levels seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Alun wrote: »

Driving I saw in England, Italy and America is very much comparable to what I see here. It just irritates me more here cause I see it every single day, rather than just for the relatively brief periods I am driving abroad.

The driving in Italy in particular is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Irish drivers are not great but compared to other countries we are tip top. Try driving in South East Asia or Eastern Europe.

Motorways are relatively new to Irish drivers, has there ever been a national campaign on the use of three lanes motorways?

Nothing especially Irish about that.

I frequently drive in the UK where most of the main M-ways are 3 lane.

In The UK police issue fines to middle laners. Here the ah shure I didn't know song is an acceptable position to take. There are also a glut of drivers who have their license for so long that lane discipline simply wasn't an issue for them, and they aren't going to learn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd say they're common everywhere in the world. The problem is that if you're a timid driver, you'll always stick to the middle lane because you don't have to deal with mergers.
    Alun wrote: »
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Irish drivers are not great but compared to other countries we are tip top. Try driving in South East Asia or Eastern Europe.

In most of the countries people on road forums complain how bad the local drivers are. It is due to the fact that we mostly drive close to home and that's where we are most annoyed.
    You should see moaning on Polish forums on that subject ;)

Of course there are countries better and worse in lane discipline but I don't find Ireland particularly bad.
    US, that is a really bad case.
    Still, it could be worse, I just came back from Morocco, you should see "lane discipline" there. People literary drive in two lanes at the same time :D

Driving I saw in England, Italy and America is very much comparable to what I see here. It just irritates me more here cause I see it every single day, rather than just for the relatively brief periods I am driving abroad.

The driving in Italy in particular is insane.

Well Italy is a whole other level, elements of third world driving in their behaviour.

cgcsb wrote: »
    In The UK police issue fines to middle laners. Here the ah shure I didn't know song is an acceptable position to take. There are also a glut of drivers who have their license for so long that lane discipline simply wasn't an issue for them, and they aren't going to learn now.

The 3-lane Westlink/M1 portion in Belfast has been open for a few years, but even now you can still take a shortcut by driving along in the left lane the whole way from Divis to Blacks Road, and you will rarely encounter anyone in the lane.

Also, having lived in California for 18 months, I can tell you that the Irish are teacher's pets for the rules in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

from what I have seen, Germans are best drivers probably in the world. They have a deep respect for other road users (again, I cannot generalise) and turks probably worst. Irish driving culture is average. Not to good but not worst. A lot of behavior due to ignorance. Elderly people got their license for 10 pounds at a time when motorways were utopia. I know a gentleman who has a license for 40+ years. He thought when N7 with three lanes opened up that the driving lane on the left (or as he called it the 'slow' lane was for trucks). A national campaign, penalty points and spot fines could change this in a matter of 2 years.

Back to the overpass at NLX, they are separatoing the inbound and outbound lanes with a very low wall. At least, that's how it looks now. I am thinking when you're going outbound towards Naas, if you are on the right lane at night, a car coming inbound towards Dublin can easily dazzle you with high beam and fog lamps. The two lanes should be separated in my view with a taller wall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

The wall based on what I believe will be a standard concrete median, like what you would find on the M1 or M50.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    The wall based on what I believe will be a standard concrete median, like what you would find on the M1 or M50.
    They really aught to install these cricket bats to stop the light crossing over to the other side, not just here but along all motorway sections with the current standard barriers.

B%2056%20Gummersbach%20%281%29.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

They really aught to install these cricket bats to stop the light crossing over to the other side, not just here but along all motorway sections with the current standard barriers.

B%2056%20Gummersbach%20%281%29.JPG

That looks nice. I am thinking, as cars are coming inbound with full headlamps and the classical fog lights that we seem to adore, it may be very dangerous for people driving the opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Are they really gonna get this done by the October Bank Holiday? That gives them just over a week to finish off at least the westbound bit.

Are they really gonna get this done by the October Bank Holiday? That gives them just over a week to finish off at least the westbound bit.

It is just the flyover opening by then, the rest won't be finished till January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

regedit wrote: »
    That looks nice. I am thinking, as cars are coming inbound with full headlamps and the classical fog lights that we seem to adore, it may be very dangerous for people driving the opposite direction

why would this flyover warrant special measures to overcome this and not the rest of the motorway network and flyovers?

I dont recall any crashes as a result of dazzled drivers on any of the other flyovers / bridges around the country. is there something particularly dangerous about this bridge that I'm missing? given it will be well lit with street lights there shouldn't be any headlights on when going over it

ukoda wrote: »
    why would this flyover warrant special measures to overcome this and not the rest of the motorway network and flyovers?

I dont recall any crashes as a result of dazzled drivers on any of the other flyovers / bridges around the country. is there something particularly dangerous about this bridge that I'm missing? given it will be well lit with street lights there shouldn't be any headlights on when going over it
    I would like to see these along all roads that have the concrete barriers, particularity the rural motorway sections where oncoming lights are a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ukoda wrote: »
    given it will be well lit with street lights there shouldn't be any headlights on when going over it

You serious?? Dipped beams are headlights and they should certainly be on on a lit road at night.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement