Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

You serious?? Dipped beams are headlights and they should certainly be on on a lit road at night.

I meant full beam headlights. as in, people should have their headlights dipped before approach and going over the fly over as its an urban street lit area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭micks_address

ive read back a few pages but when is it due to be completed? Is it early november?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

ive read back a few pages but when is it due to be completed? Is it early november?

Cheers,
    Mick

October bank holiday for cars to be going over it. January for the whole ting to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭micks_address

slinky2000 wrote: »
    October bank holiday for cars to be going over it. January for the whole ting to be completed.

so does that mean from October bank holiday there will no longer be lights in place for inbound/outbound traffic on the n7?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

so does that mean from October bank holiday there will no longer be lights in place for inbound/outbound traffic on the n7?

Cheers,
    Mick

I'd say if they can keep the flyover open, then yes,

you might not get the full 3 lanes in both directions over the entire period, but once it's opened, it should be open for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

slinky2000 wrote: »

Does anybody know why that works speed limit is set to last until April?

mackerski wrote: »
    Does anybody know why that works speed limit is set to last until April?

thats when all the works finish, so its still technically a construction area even with the flyover open, they did the same thing for the flyovers in Cork at bandon and wilton, flyovers opened but remaining works meant a lower speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

ukoda wrote: »
    thats when all the works finish, so its still technically a construction area even with the flyover open, they did the same thing for the flyovers in Cork at bandon and wilton, flyovers opened but remaining works meant a lower speed limit

The post I replied to talked about "completion" in January. So 3 months of messing after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Trucks lined up this morning on the Naas side and surfacing under way.

The post I replied to talked about "completion" in January. So 3 months of messing after that?

maybe, it was longer than that on the Cork ones, but maybe they are overestimating too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's only November and December, with holidays for the christmas, hardly a huge length of time to sign off on the road. There'll be lots to do on the Belgard/Nangor road and removing the temp road south of the new mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

There was a fella on the radio 2 weeks ago who said they were ahead of schedule so I'd assume the 3 months is a buffer in case of any issues arising as they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot if they say it's going to be open 3 months early and then it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mackerski is asking about the 3 months between the stated completion date of January 2015, and the lifting of the temporary speed limits in April 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I would like to see these along all roads that have the concrete barriers, particularity the rural motorway sections where oncoming lights are a problem.

I was thinking some sort of increased median barrier height would be a good idea on stretches where crashes are common (M50 between Blanch to clear of the Lucan exit) to prevent rubber-neckin' and therefore unnecessary slowdowns.

MJohnston wrote: »
    mackerski is asking about the 3 months between the stated completion date of January 2015, and the lifting of the temporary speed limits in April 2015.

Again it's probably a leeway for the finishing of the construction works, easier to get the permission to alter the speeds now.
    It could also be a 'bedding' in period for the traffic to get used to the new layout at lower speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Anybody know what exactly they are up to on the M7 eastbound and westbound between junctions 11 & 12. From what I can see they appear not only to be resurfacing, but also cutting down branches, foliage etc. Has this anything to do with the proposed widening of the M7 from Junction 9 (Naas North) to Junction 12 (Newbridge) or is this just incidental? However if this widening of the M7 from 2 lanes to 3 lanes between the aforementioned junctions is going ahead, it does seem strange that they would be resurfacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Anybody know what exactly they are up to on the M7 eastbound and westbound between junctions 11 & 12. From what I can see they appear not only to be resurfacing, but also cutting down branches, foliage etc. Has this anything to do with the proposed widening of the M7 from Junction 9 (Naas North) to Junction 12 (Newbridge) or is this just incidental? However if this widening of the M7 from 2 lanes to 3 lanes between the aforementioned junctions is going ahead, it does seem strange that they would be resurfacing?

I think I heard the head of the NRA last week saying that the current tree cutting is routine work to maintain sightlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Anyone have any update on the surfacing works on the Westbound side of the ramp? it's mentioned above that they were working on it yesterday am. This is the last area that needs a good bit of work before the ramp is ready to go. They have a good few different levels to tidy up and tie in to each other before the final dressing, top layer, marking, central median can all be done. These last things will not take a huge amount of time once they get the prep work out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

they were placing more tarmac down yesterday evening on the west side of teh flyover as I passed.
    they still need to install the central median, but the wire bars have been installed on the east side of the flyover for this to start.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Working on the west side again this morning. More tarmac going down. Passing the East side it looks like another layer is going on there too and one side is a step higher than the other.
    I did also notice that the lights are currently being installed on the top of the poles on the east side.

On another note... whoever decided it a good idea to paint white lines across the road and stick a big 50 circle in the middle of the bend heading down onto the M50(n) from newlands has clearly never ridden a motorbike. This is going to be lethal in the wet.
    325395.JPG
    325396.JPG

• Advertisement

Can anyone please tell me what the traffic is like @ Newlands Cross these days? I have to go through there @ 5pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Can anyone please tell me what the traffic is like @ Newlands Cross these days? I have to go through there @ 5pm this evening.

Keep an eye on these:

Newlands: site16Camera85.jpg

Green Isle: snap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

mruser2014 wrote: »
    With on ongoing madness at Newlands cross and the tailbacks to J11 M7/M9 on Fridays.

Does anyone know a route to avoid this? I got stuck for hours here on Friday.

I have taken the R448 to Naas Kilcullen and back via to curragh to get back onto the M7 to avoid the tailbacks from N7 to J11 but its slow too and the roads are bad,

Thanks

I know a great route but I'm not telling anyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Deedsie wrote: »
    Irish drivers are not great but compared to other countries we are tip top. Try driving in South East Asia or Eastern Europe.

Motorways are relatively new to Irish drivers, has there ever been a national campaign on the use of three lanes motorways?

At least in Ireland a car indicating is asking you can I please pop in there in front of you, in many other countries (especially the USA) you're lucky to get an indicator and when you do get it it's to tell you that they're about to cut in in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

At least in Ireland a car indicating is asking you can I please pop in there in front of you, in many other countries (especially the USA) you're lucky to get an indicator and when you do get it it's to tell you that they're about to cut in in front of you.
    I drove in Australia (Sydney) and you had to do the same thing. If you indicated and waited to be let in (as I did the first few times) it'd never happen. I was told by a local "just indicate and go".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

passed by again as I do every day on the way home,
    and they had started and progressed very well at installing the central median barrier on the eastern side of the flyover.
    they are sucking diesel now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

BuzzFish wrote: »
    ....On another note... whoever decided it a good idea to paint white lines across the road and stick a big 50 circle in the middle of the bend heading down onto the M50(n) from newlands has clearly never ridden a motorbike. This is going to be lethal in the wet....

Those two 50's are not the speed limit - they are the odds on you coming off if you hit them on a wet day banked over!
    Along with metal manhole covers & diesel spills the 50/50 odds are slightly understated?

As the traffic will now be a constant flow from the N7 on to the M50, the rumble strips on the slip road is to calm the on-going traffic. Coming from the N7 heading north, cars are often at a fair speed on that bend of the slip road.
    The strips already seem to be breaking up in spots so they may not last long.
    The central median barriers are halfway up to the crest of the flyover this morning and their is a hive of activity on the Naas end with tarmac.
    Bit to do that side with lamp posts, and finishing the barriers next to walls but should easily be done by next weekend.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the inbound lane that's to the right of the flyover passing the Belgard junction, closed this weekend so they can finish leveling the new tarmac to the old road M50 side. Maybe even re-instating the right turn to Belgard from the Nangor side to allow the other (Naas) end to be finished, and re-open for Sunday evening/Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As the work is progressing at a fair rate now, is anyone in a position to take some more photo's?

We've had some great photo's up to now, it would be nice to see how they are planning and preparing to allow traffic use the flyover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As the work is progressing at a fair rate now, is anyone in a position to take some more photo's?

We've had some great photo's up to now, it would be nice to see how they are planning and preparing to allow traffic use the flyover.

It's not the best, but you can keep an eye on those traffic cams posted by ciarsd above. Seems like they're line painting right now?

Advertisement