Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

A320 wrote: »
    Garda traffic tweeted to say a lane is closed tonight so that can only be surely the finishing touches in play

@GardaTraffic: "continuing works at Newlands X sees lane 3 inbound closed between 22.00hrs tonight to 6am tomorrow.Right turn lane outbound also closed"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Will they not have to clear the median between the inbound and outbound lanes West of the works and realign the outbound lane with the flyover?

I think there is still a few days of work involved there. What is the situation on the East side of the flyover? Everything lined up and ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

not as much to do that side as the Naas side, just the last bit of tarmac to join up the new and existing and the side barriers to the mainline up to the steel ones.
    probably going to close either the left or right inbound routes tonight and do both ends, and do the other tomorrow night. All that would be left for Thursday and Friday is to remove the remaining median dividers and clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

paulbok wrote: »
    not as much to do that side as the Naas side, just the last bit of tarmac to join up the new and existing and the side barriers to the mainline up to the steel ones.
    probably going to close either the left or right inbound routes tonight and do both ends, and do the other tomorrow night. All that would be left for Thursday and Friday is to remove the remaining median dividers and clean up.

Folks, I'm not always up to speed onthese works. When you say 'clean up' are the works nearly finished? Is the interchange nearly open?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Folks, I'm not always up to speed onthese works. When you say 'clean up' are the works nearly finished? Is the interchange nearly open?

Yes, If I'd to guess I think the fly-over will open in the next week or so, maybe this weekend. They have focused on getting this done in the last few weeks.

Once this opens they need to fix up all the roads around it / to the sides / temp roads / Belgard Rd etc. as those are all still not fully complete. I think that should only take a few more weeks though once the fly-over opens.

• Advertisement

I have been watching the cameras on Nratraffic all day and there doesn't seem to be anything going on? Anyone passing see what they are working on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have been watching the cameras on Nratraffic all day and there doesn't seem to be anything going on? Anyone passing see what they are working on today.

I passed this morning and it didnt look like much was happening, they have a lot of tie in work to do on the Naas side from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I am watching this closely. Progress is moving well, lots more done today compared to yesterday. More tarmac works on the Naas side to tie in to existing road. Still a few days I would say, optimistic for this weekend.

Lots of work to get the junctions right when we switch to flyover too.

They have done an excellent job, horrible traffic recently, but they have managed it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone go through the junction this morning? any major differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

some removal of roadwork metal barriers,
    some tar mac laying, but not much else.
    it looks like they are laying it all out so that they can go nuts one night and it will all be done, ( the flyover part not slip roads )

there is another shut down tonight between 10pm and 6am tomorrow.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    some removal of roadwork metal barriers,
    some tar mac laying, but not much else.
    it looks like they are laying it all out so that they can go nuts one night and it will all be done, ( the flyover part not slip roads )

there is another shut down tonight between 10pm and 6am tomorrow.

It looks to me that all energies are now focused on joining the existing outbound lane to the new flyover lane. They seem to have setup a new cordoned off construction area at the west of the site.

Presumably some of the lamp posts, bushes etc in that median will need to be cleared, the road underneath levelled and tarred then realigned to connect to the new outbound flyover lane.

Can't see it open Saturday unless serious work is done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Homer101

I wonder will there be queue's inbound to M50 Nourth and Southbound went it goes freeflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Homer101 wrote: »
    I wonder will there be queue's inbound to M50 Nourth and Southbound went it goes freeflow.
    Why would there be queues? This will mean traffic will arrive more or less at a steady rate to these junctions, rather than in large bunches when the lights change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

jd wrote: »
    Why would there be queues? This will mean traffic will arrive more or less at a steady rate to these junctions, rather than in large bunches when the lights change :)

Because every freeflow junction now causes queues in rush hour....

TBH I think it's time for Metered Junctions in the rush hour to allow the Mainline of the M50 to flow more freely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_traffic_management#Ramp_metering

From what I've seen, it's worse leaving the M50 than joining, the N4 for example has a bus lane cutting through the freeflow lane causing delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

celticbest wrote: »
    Because every freeflow junction now causes queues in rush hour....

TBH I think it's time for Metered Junctions in the rush hour to allow the Mainline of the M50 to flow more freely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_traffic_management#Ramp_metering

That video is private. Freeflow at Newlands Cross will not make the situation worse merging on to the M50 - it may make it slightly better. I know what ramp metering is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

jd wrote: »
    That video is private. Freeflow at Newlands Cross will not make the situation worse merging on to the M50 - it may make it slightly better. I know what ramp metering is.

:o Now public

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

From what I've seen, it's worse leaving the M50 than joining, the N4 for example has a bus lane cutting through the freeflow lane causing delays.

If someone at the NRA could fix this that would be great! As It causes havoc in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Homer101 wrote: »

If anything its the long mile road junction that will start getting busier and longer queues as traffic will constantly be flowing there inbound

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That bus lane actually hugely improved the flow

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    That bus lane actually hugely improved the flow
    If you mean the kludge of extending it back to the bridge to allow traffic joining the N4 west from M50 north a lane, then yes, but you still have to cross the bus lane and this slows down traffic. The other problem there is crossing traffic trying to get off at Liffey valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you mean the kludge of extending it back to the bridge to allow traffic joining the N4 west from M50 north a lane, then yes, but you still have to cross the bus lane and this slows down traffic. The other problem there is crossing traffic trying to get off at Liffey valley.

You don't - the lane you go in to becomes the driving lane. The buses have to cross you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pablod wrote: »
    If anything its the long mile road junction that will start getting busier and longer queues as traffic will constantly be flowing there inbound

Yeah, it's going to move the traffic quicker onto the Long Mile junction, this will make is more difficult for the queues exiting the M50 heading inbound. Not as familiar with the northbound traffic, but the southbound in the mornings can be depending on the gap in traffic that the Newlands X lights gave for them to merge out, if its chockers inbound, then it backs up on the M50 aux lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Well who is going to be first on with the early morning update on last night's activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

cargo wrote: »
    Well who is going to be first on with the early morning update on last night's activities?

I passed through twice last night around 10pm. From what I could make out, a lot of activity on lane 3 inbound (signposted: City/Belgard), which had an active closure on it. I also spotted 3 artics laden with precast central median's, getting into position for an unload. I presume that these were for the tie in work for the existing road with the overpass. Further down (still inbound), there were what I am guessing to be drainage/ground works with 2 separate pockets of crews of 2 men working.

Sorry no photos, I was the only one in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

in addition to the above, a bit of surfacing was done.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Everytime there is a major road project people say "ah traffic at the next junction will be worse" - naysayers I call them. They'll never have anything positive to say.

When the Red Cow interchange and Luas crossing was being upgraded, the same types of comments were made and images of huge tailbacks imagined - and what happend? It flowed far far better.

What these naysayers don't seem to realise, the overpass does not just open for 0ne hour everyday - its always open.

So the person travelling at 6.30am gets through quicker - get through Long Mile junction quicker, gets through Canal junction quicker - that flows though for the 6.45 commuter, the 7am commuter etc etc.

Furthermore, at present at newlands cross you wait for those turning right from city to Fonthill road direction, you wait for belgard traffic to go by, you wait for fonthill traffic to go by - and that means 20min+ delays at peak periods - now all gone. And that means 20minutes earlier hitting long mile - and as all the traffic before you got there earlier too and are probably sitting in their office drinking coffee at that stage, you should NOT see any extra significant delays at longmile - possibly LESS delay.

But sure common sense will not stop those who want to find fault with everything - and like the red cow upgrade, they don;t even have the decency to wait until it opens and see what the result is.

At the red cow, it was assumed that the luas would cause HUGE delays and would be a traffic hazard and there would be several crashes and loss of life - and has there been?

So for the naysayers WAIT til it opens before knocking it. You might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

delahuntv wrote: »
    Everytime there is a major road project people say "ah traffic at the next junction will be worse" - naysayers I call them. They'll never have anything positive to say.

When the Red Cow interchange and Luas crossing was being upgraded, the same types of comments were made and images of huge tailbacks imagined - and what happend? It flowed far far better.

What these naysayers don't seem to realise, the overpass does not just open for 0ne hour everyday - its always open.

So the person travelling at 6.30am gets through quicker - get through Long Mile junction quicker, gets through Canal junction quicker - that flows though for the 6.45 commuter, the 7am commuter etc etc.

Furthermore, at present at newlands cross you wait for those turning right from city to Fonthill road direction, you wait for belgard traffic to go by, you wait for fonthill traffic to go by - and that means 20min+ delays at peak periods - now all gone. And that means 20minutes earlier hitting long mile - and as all the traffic before you got there earlier too and are probably sitting in their office drinking coffee at that stage, you should NOT see any extra significant delays at longmile - possibly LESS delay.

But sure common sense will not stop those who want to find fault with everything - and like the red cow upgrade, they don;t even have the decency to wait until it opens and see what the result is.

At the red cow, it was assumed that the luas would cause HUGE delays and would be a traffic hazard and there would be several crashes and loss of life - and has there been?

So for the naysayers WAIT til it opens before knocking it. You might be surprised.

You Sir, you speak sense.

I applaud you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

They were jackhammering and laying tar til about 4am by the smell and sounds of things last night. There's new wood panelling on the sides of the flyover on the city bound side too, noise deflecting stuff for the houses on New lands Road I'd say.

• Advertisement

The N7 J1 Green Isle camera hasn't updated for 24 hours. Have they done much work in this area in the last 24 hours?

They seem to have moved the workers toilets etc from the flyover based on the nra traffic cam photo from the East side of the junction.

Advertisement