Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Andru93 wrote: »
    If someone at the NRA could fix this that would be great! As It causes havoc in the evening!
    What would you have them do, remove the bus lane? At rush hour each bus carries up to 90 people, while each car has only 1 person. Therefore a bus is equivalent to 90 cars so of course the bus gets priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

spacetweek wrote: »
    What would you have them do, remove the bus lane? At rush hour each bus carries up to 90 people, while each car has only 1 person. Therefore a bus is equivalent to 90 cars so of course the bus gets priority.

Lads, I'll ber passing by on a bus on Saturday for SA match. Any chance the flyover will be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Homer101

Don't think so, but it's getting very close now. Wll done too all for it coming in well ahead of schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 1maher1

When is the roadworks due to finish. Will the road reopen earlier than the official finish date !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

NRA Traffic Cameras are doing my head in. 48 hours now since the Green Isle camera has updated.

Anyone passing this morning able give us an update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

yes, nothing changed.

only thing is more idiots are skipping down the hard shoulder and the bus lane.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    yes, nothing changed.

only thing is more idiots are skipping down the hard shoulder and the bus lane.

Nearly over now anyway... Well until the M7 widening scheme begins.

No changes in 48 hours is a bit disappointing. Have they not cleared the median between inbound and outbound lanes? Began the realigning of flyover and inbound/outbound lanes?

I wonder did the rain last night delay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I usually travel on the outbound/ Belgard side in both directions so can only comment on it's progress.
    Still a bit of tarmac needed outbound, Naas side, although it looks like they are clearing up for it. There is a hump of tarmac on the M50 side that looks like it also need to be finished off, I couldn't get a good look to see if its where the center median will be, so may not be needed.
    There is still a stretch of side crash barriers outbound on Naas side that would seem to be whats lacking most for finishing and opening. Unless they are working over the weekend, I can't see it opening by Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

Heading southbound tonight to Cork around 5

Should I still avoid Newlands cross or is it flowing a bit better?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Garda Traffic on twitter has just posted 4 tweets about road closures tonight, see https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

mruser2014 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

Its still rubbish but then everywhere is on a friday evening.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thanks in advance.

I'd be more worried about the traffic at the Carlow turn off. M9? Down to 40kph and a single lane till Kilcullen, can see big delays back up the n7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

beertons wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the traffic at the Carlow turn off. M9? Down to 40kph and a single lane till Kilcullen, can see big delays back up the n7.

True - that has been causing major delays. Took me 2 and a half hours to get from Sandyford to Portarlington on the last bank holiday Friday. Normal evenings are 90 mins. Im anticipating 2 hours this evening. Ready to eat my steering wheel with frustration at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

listen in to 103.2 from 4pm, alson in the mornings.
    its live drive, good music and traffic after every song.
    they also are on twitter @livedrive

Newlands is worse on fridays outbound, and is bad all the way until passed the m9 split.

if you are coming from the northern part of the m50, would be better to go out the n4 and then across country to Naas and onto the m7 from there.

if you are coming from sounth m50, it would mean going over the mountains, and probably not hitting the m8 until around Abbeyleix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

rameire wrote: »
    listen in to 103.2 from 4pm, alson in the mornings.
    its live drive, good music and traffic after every song.
    they also are on twitter @livedrive

Newlands is worse on fridays outbound, and is bad all the way until passed the m9 split.

if you are coming from the northern part of the m50, would be better to go out the n4 and then across country to Naas and onto the m7 from there.

if you are coming from sounth m50, it would mean going over the mountains, and probably not hitting the m8 until around Abbeyleix.

Thanks very much. I will take the N4 option. Ya the tailbacks to the M9 junction are pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

First time heading up to Northside from Limerick since before the works began, anything I should watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

How far northside?
    Occasionally do Tralee - Duleek (Co Meath).
    On Fri evening avoid Dublin.
    Turn off M7 in Monegal to Dunkerrin & back roads to Shinrone & Birr.
    On to Kilbeggan & Kinegad - shortly after Clonard turn L for Longwood & Trim & back roads to final destination.
    Outside of Fri it is slower but on Fri it wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

agreed, the roadworks at the carlow turnoff are a bitter pill to swallow after dealing with the backup at newlands cross. I actually screamed in the midst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Travelled beside this at 2300 last night, there is almost nothing left to do I'd say that closure coming is the opening up ! it is laned and all and only traffic cones blocking it off now. Could be wrong awww

trellheim wrote: »
    Travelled beside this at 2300 last night, there is almost nothing left to do I'd say that closure coming is the opening up ! it is laned and all and only traffic cones blocking it off now. Could be wrong awww

Has the out bound lane been realigned to connect up with the outbound lane on the flyover?

I really hope you are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How far northside?
    Occasionally do Tralee - Duleek (Co Meath).
    On Fri evening avoid Dublin.
    Turn off M7 in Monegal to Dunkerrin & back roads to Shinrone & Birr.
    On to Kilbeggan & Kinegad - shortly after Clonard turn L for Longwood & Trim & back roads to final destination.
    Outside of Fri it is slower but on Fri it wins.

Swords (not too bad) - judging by last few posts, there doesnt seem to be much trouble negotiating the works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Deedsie wrote: »
    Has the out bound lane been realigned to connect up with the outbound lane on the flyover?

I really hope you are right.

Somone posted earlier about the Garda tweets about Newlands tonight.
    1. Gantry being installed at Boot Lane tonight, inbound traffic reduced to one lane from 10pm to 6am.
    2. no access from Fontills to Belgard/Naas rd between 10pm and 6am. Diversions in place. -

They must be getting the road under the flyover bridge in shape tonight. Once that is done they may be able to align both ends onto the flyover but it won't be tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

As far as I remember big projects like this have to be signed off by safety gurus and this takes some time, so I would be surprised if it opened before early December

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

As far as I remember big projects like this have to be signed off by safety gurus and this takes some time, so I would be surprised if it opened before early December

BAM construction stated on Twitter during the week that it would be open in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Crossed over the top on the bicycle this a.m., just for the heck of it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Crossed over the top on the bicycle this a.m., just for the heck of it.

:D

Great story bro

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Shot taken tonight, with the previous view from exactly a month ago below it. It looks like a gantry is due to go up slap bang in the middle of this angle, so this shot might not be possible very soon!

07.11.2014:
    15710972906_9ff640fb65_b.jpgNewlands Cross 07-11-2014 by csd75, on Flickr

07.10.2014:
    15286217620_2d692fa5a7_b.jpgIMG_9381 by csd75, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Just wondering what is going to happen to the extra lanes that were put in to alleviate disruption during this project. There were at least three extra lanes put in on the southbound side of the N7, so does anyone know what will happen to these lanes. Also for traffic going from the Belgard road onto the N7 south (or west to be technically correct), will this traffic have to stop at traffic lights, or will they be able to just filter out onto the N7 when it is safe to do so?

Anyone passing this morning? Did they get much done last night after? A lot of delays for traffic according to Twitter. Presume there will be nothing done now till Monday?

• Advertisement

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is going to happen to the extra lanes that were put in to alleviate disruption during this project. There were at least three extra lanes put in on the southbound side of the N7, so does anyone know what will happen to these lanes. Also for traffic going from the Belgard road onto the N7 south (or west to be technically correct), will this traffic have to stop at traffic lights, or will they be able to just filter out onto the N7 when it is safe to do so?
    All extra lanes that are outside of the normal Road layout will be removed. And landscaping will be completed.
    3 lanes up and over. 2 lanes to the side including a bus Lane.
    On plans drawn up and shown in the pdf a few pages back there are yield slips for left turns.

Advertisement