Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

There's talks of the temporary lights getting change on Thursdays. If that goes ahead it sounds like it could be open next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Crossed over the top on the bicycle this a.m., just for the heck of it.

:D

You absolute rebel you!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I drive through NX/RCR twice a day and it seems that they have very little to do to finish the overpass. In fact, the overpass is complete. They need to finalise the access roads to the overpass, especially from the Naas/inbound. It strikes you that this could easily be done in 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

regedit wrote: »
    I drive through NX/RCR twice a day and it seems that they have very little to do to finish the overpass. In fact, the overpass is complete. They need to finalise the access roads to the overpass, especially from the Naas/inbound. It strikes you that this could easily be done in 1 day.

It is annoying that they didn't push through this weekend and just open the flyover section. The majority of people would have been happy with the disruption over the weekend if they could have just had it opened for Monday morning traffic.

Now that its so close the longer they leave it without opening it the more frustrated people will get. Just get on with it and open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Deedsie wrote: »
    It is annoying that they didn't push through this weekend and just open the flyover section. The majority of people would have been happy with the disruption over the weekend if they could have just had it opened for Monday morning traffic.

Now that its so close the longer they leave it without opening it the more frustrated people will get. Just get on with it and open it up.
    There are restrictions on how much out of hours work they are allowed to do, and I presume the work would have to be signed off by NRA/Health and Safety/SDCC etc ect before traffic would be allowed over bridge.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    There are restrictions on how much out of hours work they are allowed to do, and I presume the work would have to be signed off by NRA/Health and Safety/SDCC etc ect before traffic would be allowed over bridge.

Oh without a doubt you are 100% right. It is just frustrating for commuters and local residents suffering prolonged disruption at the latter stages of the project.

Changing traffic flows can be a very intensive task as it requires a lot of involvement from the Gardaí and others, so I would imagine that they're keeping the number of changes to an absolute minimum.
    I suspect that it will open one direction at a time so the central median can be closed before opening the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

There have been several comments in this thread to effect that traffic management generally has been good. There is no point in impatience in the last week, this flyover will be there for a long time, another few days without it is not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, but it's kinda like not being able to open your presents under the tree before Christmas Day, there looking at you, but you can't touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

instead of searching for negatives - could you not say "isn't it great they look like opening 2 months ahead of schedule"

But sure don't we always want to find fault on even the most positive things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

delahuntv wrote: »
    instead of searching for negatives - could you not say "isn't it great they look like opening 2 months ahead of schedule"

Or you could say we always strive for better. Which is a good attitude.

I don't agree, I am not going to applaud someone for completing something "ahead" of schedule when the initial schedule was over estimated in the first place. Id rather a little transparency and an ambitious schedule from the get go.

I am delighted they are going to be finished ahead of schedule and I think they have done a great job. I just think they could have managed their time a bit better in the last number of weeks and communicated better with the public.

We are the ones paying for this and being inconvenienced when there are delays yet all we get is the bare minimum of information from the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Deedsie just out of curiousity, what's the largest construction project you've been involved in tendering, planning or managing?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

It's a great job . . . It was a disaster the way it was . ..

Any chance of doing a fly over over Brady's Pub in Terenure? It's a total bottle neck going from Tallaght into town

Tragedy wrote: »
    Deedsie just out of curiousity, what's the largest construction project you've been involved in tendering, planning or managing?

I built a lego castle around 1993... Great success

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I built a lego castle around 1993... Great success
    Constructive posts only please.

Id rather a little transparency and an ambitious schedule from the get go.
    Ambitious schedules mean either more money or poorer quality (on various measures). A basic principle of almost any commercial activity is that time, quality and cost are a balancing act, but this is especially important in construction.

It just so happened that we had a reasonably good summer and a good autumn. If it had been a wet summer and a normal autumn, construction could have been much slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Victor wrote: »
    Ambitious schedules mean either more money or poorer quality (on various measures). A basic principle of almost any commercial activity is that time, quality and cost are a balancing act, but this is especially important in construction.

Agreed. Do it once, do it right, build it to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I don't agree, I am not going to applaud someone for completing something "ahead" of schedule when the initial schedule was over estimated in the first place. Id rather a little transparency and an ambitious schedule from the get go.

I am delighted they are going to be finished ahead of schedule and I think they have done a great job. I just think they could have managed their time a bit better in the last number of weeks and communicated better with the public.

We are the ones paying for this and being inconvenienced when there are delays yet all we get is the bare minimum of information from the company.

Initial estimate did allow for inclement weather - as it should do, because people like yourself would then just complain that it was "not planned" properly.

Now that the works are all but complete, the SAFETY sign off has to be completed - whilst you may like to think its as simple as walking the road unfortunately its not.

Would you rather it open for you to save a total of less than 2 hours over a few days and without mandatory safety checks, or would you prefer a full and rigorous safety check done on it. ??

And until the safety check is done, they cannot give a definite opening day, just in case something is noticed that would delay it a day or so - if they did, sure it would just give some people something else to whine about.

Initial estimate did allow for inclement weather - as it should do, because people like yourself would then just complain that it was "not planned" properly.

Now that the works are all but complete, the SAFETY sign off has to be completed - whilst you may like to think its as simple as walking the road unfortunately its not.

Would you rather it open for you to save a total of less than 2 hours over a few days and without mandatory safety checks, or would you prefer a full and rigorous safety check done on it. ??

And until the safety check is done, they cannot give a definite opening day, just in case something is noticed that would delay it a day or so - if they did, sure it would just give some people something else to whine about.

Ya I didn't say any of those things. I argued against time management and communication with the public. The temporary signage wasnt brilliant throughout the project.

I am delighted it's done, they did a really great job. We have been waiting for this a long long time. I'm gonna skip the posting here now as constructive criticism seems to be frowned upon.

Enjoy the free flowing traffic folks whenever it opens up.

Everything has been arranged for it to to be changed over on Thursday night Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Cap1 wrote: »
    Everything has been arranged for it to to be changed over on Thursday night Friday morning.

Great news!
    What's your source for the info, if I can be so cheeky to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Would that be from the same source who told you the first cars would be over the bridge on the October BH weekend ? :)

Yes from the same man. i can only go on what I've been told.I'm working on the site and will be involved in the change over. There's is a meeting on the site today so it will be 100% confirmed by the end of the working day. From a conversation on Friday and this morning it's going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Yes from the same man. i can only go on what I've been told.I'm working on the site and will be involved in the change over. There's is a meeting on the site today so it will be 100% confirmed by the end of the working day. From a conversation on Friday and this morning it's going ahead.

Passed by on a bus heading for the match on Saturday and I'd have to say it was dam close. Can't see any reason why your suggested date couldn't be met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

What's up with the Green Isle camera? It hasn't updated for almost a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think the green Isle camera has been removed. A new three panel Gantry has been erected in that location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Was it confirmed at your meeting? Are they going to realign both sides together on the same night?

It's bad news I'm afraid. It's been pushed back until next week. Everything is ready to go on the bridge. It's the movement of the temporary works causing the problem. sorry about the bad information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

worst insider ever. ;)

Advertisement