Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

worst insider ever. 

on the upside I don't have to work on Thursday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Cap1 wrote: »
    It's bad news I'm afraid. It's been pushed back until next week. Everything is ready to go on the bridge. It's the movement of the temporary works causing the problem. sorry about the bad information.

damn - I had great plans to drive over and back several times just for the heck of it.

Now you've ruined those plans - it will be a terrible disruption to my life, I don't know whether I'll recover or not - and now you make it worse by saying you are taking the night off!!
    :D:D:D

But seriously - if you have been working on the project, well done to you and all those on the construction - there have been surprisingly few problems and even when there were issues they seem to have been ironed out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

delahuntv wrote: »
    there have been surprisingly few problems and even when there were issues they seem to have been ironed out quickly.

It's a sign of very good project management.

There will always be problems and issues with any engineering project of this scale, how these issues are dealt with is key to overall success/failure.

It appears this project is/was managed quite well up to this point, so fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

on the upside I don't have to work on Thursday night.

Sure head down to N11 and start cracking the whip on that project.....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

It's bad news I'm afraid. It's been pushed back until next week. Everything is ready to go on the bridge. It's the movement of the temporary works causing the problem. sorry about the bad information.

That's a pity, I was getting very excited at the thought of it opening this week. Looked like the connections were almost there this morning too.

Any idea what day next week? I would have thought a weekend switch over would make more sense when traffic is light to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

thats really really really really really vexing fustrating annoying gammy bloody news

open the road already

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

Crash barriers were being put in place today on both ends of the bridge, green isle camera was still there today when I went through,
    can't wait for this to open as some who drives from swords to Kill every day it can only bring an improvement in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's a sign of very good project management.

There will always be problems and issues with any engineering project of this scale, how these issues are dealt with is key to overall success/failure.

It appears this project is/was managed quite well up to this point, so fair play to all involved.

Indeed. I've been impressed with the traffic management from the start. I had expected big delays during the works, but for the 1st 12 months of the works, for me, the traffic actually improved.
    Considering the awful traffic on the N4 when the underpass was being built, it's even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes Green Isle Camera is still in place my mistake. Went past it this morning. Bridge looks pointless just sitting there ready to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Oh god every morning I'm tempted to ram through the cones and christen the bridge with a healthy dose of lead foot. You'd smell the unburnt diesel for miles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Few guys still working on the center barrier on the Dublin Side this morning. Looks like any remaining work is on the Dublin side at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

I tweeted livedrive this morning to tell them Greenisle was not working,
    they replied that their feed was working, but they would get onto the feed guy to sort out the public feed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I pass by the junction some evenings when its dark so can't see from a distance, But yesterday evening there was a break down on the left hand lane for at least 45 mins just before the lights outbound (According to livedrive,I took alternatives).

Does the new section of road have a hard shoulder for the new small section?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I pass by the junction some evenings when its dark so can't see from a distance, But yesterday evening there was a break down on the left hand lane for at least 45 mins just before the lights outbound (According to livedrive,I took alternatives).

Does the new section of road have a hard shoulder for the new small section?

The flyover itself doesn't have a hardshoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Similar to the West-Link on the M50
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3600165,-6.3831787,3a,75y,359.45h,59.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjOdvk9NqeBj8TuqFsKWm8g!2e0?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'd be very unlucky to stop at the very top.
    A little either side of it and you can just roll forward/back to a hard shoulder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Been mentioned a few times here about the lack of a shoulder and breakdowns on the flyover.
    Its worth pointing out that a big factor in cars/trucks etc breaking down around the junction currently is due to them been stationary, with little airflow though the engine (Except for the fan) and having general heat in the surrounding area due to all the other traffic around you. Think of a few trucks, side by side, nose to tail after pulling cargo around a busy M50 or N7 suddenly stopping and ticking over in traffic.
    Of course this standing in your own heat will be a non-issue with the flyover and breakdown should be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

can you imagine the amount of hours that have been wasted sitting at lights throughout this junctions lifespan? It must run into the hundreds of millions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can you imagine the amount of hours that have been waster sitting at lights throughout this junctions lifespan? It must run into the hundreds of millions...

A googolplex hours. No exaggeration...

can you imagine the amount of hours that have been wasted sitting at lights throughout this junctions lifespan? It must run into the hundreds of millions...

Being conservative and just guestimating the figures, for the fun of it, if;
    10,000 vehicles pass through each day,
    2 people average per vehicle,
    6 minutes avg hold up,
    300 days per year, that gives,
    600,000 man hours lost at the lights every year

ok time to go home and add another 10 minutes to that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Not all those hours would be entirely wasted - nasal hygiene tasks [among other things] are regularly attended to by folk held up in traffic jams. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Being conservative and just guestimating the figures, for the fun of it, if;
    10,000 vehicles pass through each day,
    2 people average per vehicle,
    6 minutes avg hold up,
    300 days per year, that gives,
    600,000 man hours lost at the lights every year

ok time to go home and add another 10 minutes to that.

I read that there earlier that in 2013 approximately 80,000 vehicles used the junction every day (god knows what that will be now), I multiplied that x 5 mins / 60 x 365 = 2433333 hours i.e. nearly 2.5 million hours a year based on a five minute wait... But I havent been out that way in ages, I am assuming the lights are causing delays of a hell of a lot more than 5 minutes now at peak times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

Any details of when they will divert traffic onto it. It's al lined and the street lights are working. I'd imagine it's not far away now.

It was supposed to be tonight but has been put back to next week.

I guess the workers took a look at tonight's forecast and decided against it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I read that there earlier that in 2013 approximately 80,000 vehicles used the junction every day (god knows what that will be now), I multiplied that x 5 mins / 60 x 365 = 2433333 hours i.e. nearly 2.5 million hours a year based on a five minute wait... But I havent been out that way in ages, I am assuming the lights are causing delays of a hell of a lot more than 5 minutes now at peak times...

The junction is strange some times. Today I flew through in less than 3 minutes but on Tuesday is took me ~10 minutes.
    This is at ~8:30am going outbound.

At 5:20pm going inbound, it takes ~ 15 minutes to get from the Kingswood on-ramp to the far side of the junction.

Edit: figured out why this morning was so quick, multiple collisions on the M50 meant no traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

paulbok wrote: »
    It was supposed to be tonight but has been put back to next week.

I guess the workers took a look at tonight's forecast and decided against it. :p

Fingers crossed so - I've given up on all rat runs to get back to the M1 as they are just as much of a lottery. I suppose it cant be any worse and its just teh unprdictable M50 to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

I hate being cynical but what's everyones predictions of where the bottle necks will shift to?

At the moment the junction is a check on traffic into the city via the naas road. I think traffic from kylemore thru Inchicore could increase. Also with the works at the start of the M9 traffic will be very bad from start of M9 to Johnstown.

Also I think there should be more 'get in lane' signs on approach to the new flyover. How many cars will head over the new bridge on the inside lane then jump across to the m50 lanes. I can see that causing issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

grodge wrote: »
    I hate being cynical but what's everyones predictions of where the bottle necks will shift to?

At the moment the junction is a check on traffic into the city via the naas road. I think traffic from kylemore thru Inchicore could increase. Also with the works at the start of the M9 traffic will be very bad from start of M9 to Johnstown.

Also I think there should be more 'get in lane' signs on approach to the new flyover. How many cars will head over the new bridge on the inside lane then jump across to the m50 lanes. I can see that causing issues

Bottle necks don't "shift". opening of this flyover is going to relieve traffic at this junction and its not going to cause problems anywhere else.

People had the same idea in cork when they built the fly overs at bandon and sarsfield road junctions. saying "oh the traffic jams are just going to shift to the Jack Lynch tunnel now and douglas will be busier and more traffic jams trying to get into it'

None of that happened.

Advertisement