Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

When they say Thursday morning...I'm assuming they mean it will be open for the morning traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I travel Dublin-Newbridge-Dublin every Thursday. Nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

jd wrote: »
    Why would free flow make the traffic worse? There'll be a steady stream of traffic, rather than large waves as the lights change between red and green. The upgrade to 3 lanes is in planning, and can't be commenced until the government approves funding to the NRA.

Because its simply moving the issue from Newlands to Naas where 3 lanes go into 2.
    At least with the lights at Newlands Cross, there was a break in the traffic for those coming on at Jn2 onwards, Now its going to be constant.

God help those who commute from Portlaoise everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Because its simply moving the issue from Newlands to Naas where 3 lanes go into 2.
    At least with the lights at Newlands Cross, there was a break in the traffic for those coming on at Jn2 onwards, Now its going to be constant.

I don't commute there often, but in my experience, it's not the dropping down to 2 lanes that causes the problem, it's all the traffic merging on from Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Eh as I said in a previous post - the overpass does not only open for an hour every morning/evening.

I've heard the same ridiculous argument every time a road project opens. - and lo and behold, it never ever comes true.

Guess what - the overpass is open 24 hours a day!! - Imagine that!

The motorist going over at 4pm saves time and gets to Naas a few minutes earlier, as does the motorist going over at 4.15pm and 4.30 pm etc etc etc.

There won't be any garda at the ball in Naas stopping these motorists in order to make sure they don't get home earlier and to make sure that the 5pm motorists don't piggy back on the 4pm motorist being well out of the way!!

Also, not all motorists are going past Naas - some go to Naas, Kill, Rathcoole, Newcastle, Sallins etc etc.

So stop the Catastrophe Syndrome (yes it is a syndrome and yes a huge number of Irish people suffer from it) and wait for it to open - you might be surprised!

Then again, why stop the national pastime of whinging?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't commute there often, but in my experience, it's not the dropping down to 2 lanes that causes the problem, it's all the traffic merging on from Naas.
    That's one cause. It can (and frequently is) unpleasantly slow and stop/start between Naas and the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

The opening ceremony was probably announced so suddenly for today, so the rent a mob wouldn't have time to organize a protest out there

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Not long to Thursday......ps anyone else having trouble with the out of date image from the Green Isle Camera on SDCC site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Why on earth would you say this? The Newlands flyover is an improvement, travel time from Portlaoise to the M50 will improve, how is this a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Not long to Thursday......ps anyone else having trouble with the out of date image from the Green Isle Camera on SDCC site?

Yeah, it ain't updated since the start of the month. One of the other posters contacted livedrive on twitter about it. I've also put in a support ticket with SDCC through their website to see what's what, and when it will be back up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What about traffic going the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ciarsd wrote: »
    Yeah, it ain't updated since the start of the month. One of the other posters contacted livedrive on twitter about it. I've also put in a support ticket with SDCC through their website to see what's what, and when it will be back up and running.

I've just looked at the cameras, they have updated.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I've just looked at the cameras, they have updated.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Except that the Green Isle camera isn't a Dublin City Council camera... :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Except that the Green Isle camera isn't a Dublin City Council camera... :o;)

Fair enough,

still a decent view from the Dublin City camera

Fair enough,

still a decent view from the Dublin City camera

It's the Green Isle (inbound view that's missing). http://www.sdcc.ie/services/roads-traffic/live-cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

I always blame the truck drivers passing each other at +1 mph for the traffic slowing down at the two lane section near Naas.

Elephant Racing i believe its called. Will be better when it becomes three lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Redd4 wrote: »
    I always blame the truck drivers passing each other at +1 mph for the traffic slowing down at the two lane section near Naas.

Elephant Racing i believe its called. Will be better when it becomes three lane.

As this illegal they could just enforce the law in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

All the worse because it's illegal too. Nothing worse than some bus or truck pulling out in front of you when it's completely clear behind you, and then taking about 5-10 minutes to pass whatever it is. Several times I've had trucks pull out and then are never actually able to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Can see the opening ceremony on the traffic cams at the moment - it looks suitably prestigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Tragedy wrote: »
    Can see the opening ceremony on the traffic cams at the moment - it looks suitably prestigious.
    Yep just spotted it. Seems like a fairly small turnout!

• Advertisement

Here's a still which captures live pictures every 10-15 mins for those that want to see the goings on.

Edit, it was pointing to the ceremony on top of the overpass, it has since resumed its normal position looking down the outbound side on approach to Newlands X.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

MJohnston wrote: »

I work near the ball & go south every evening, once merged behind Woodies it picks up again.
    One evening I was coming from the city & got caught so slipped of into Kill>Johnstown>Concrete Pipes>Ball Roundabout>M7 which was moving the whole time.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep just spotted it. Seems like a fairly small turnout!
    The official party was surrounded by traffic, as well protected as you could get. :pac:

Well, at least it's ajar now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing to celebrate here, M50 will be chocka even worse than normal come Friday morning, or at least next Monday morning when it gets busy. Nothing to arrest the flow of N7 traffic onto M50 which already exceeds capacity means M50 carpark time.

The only thing the Newlands flyover may improve is the evening peak on the M50 northbound, getting traffic off a bit more quickly, however thats only a maybe as much of the delay is due to merging on N7 O/B

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nothing to celebrate here, M50 will be chocka even worse than normal come Friday morning, or at least next Monday morning when it gets busy. Nothing to arrest the flow of N7 traffic onto M50 which already exceeds capacity means M50 carpark time.

The only thing the Newlands flyover may improve is the evening peak on the M50 northbound, getting traffic off a bit more quickly, however thats only a maybe as much of the delay is due to merging on N7 O/B

Where is all the extra traffic come from on Friday morning? The exact same amount of traffic as normal will arrive on the M50, except instead of arriving in clumps created by the lights, it will be a steady flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have fun everyone
    http://www.mtreiber.de/MicroApplet_html5
    If only they had the on-ramp configuration set up working, we could settle all the arguments

Where is all the extra traffic come from on Friday morning? The exact same amount of traffic as normal will arrive on the M50, except instead of arriving in clumps created by the lights, it will be a steady flow.
    The only extra traffic will come when motorists stop using their favourite "alternative" route and return to the mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

About 6500 Daytime images taken from the traffic cam at Newlands over the construction period to date. A fair amount of work done...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Yeah, it's the trucks that cause tailbacks. Not the thousands of cars of course, nah it couldn't be that. :rolleyes:

You do realise that slower speeds increase road capacity. Keeping the 100kph limit until the M7/M9 junction (and enforcing the limits with variable speed cameras) would reduce the tailbacks on this section.

Advertisement