Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

josip wrote: »
    Have fun everyone
    http://www.mtreiber.de/MicroApplet_html5
    If only they had the on-ramp configuration set up working, we could settle all the arguments

They do, just you have to have Java installed for it:
    http://www.traffic-simulation.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

spacetweek wrote: »
    What about traffic going the other way?

They all continue driving in the 2 right most lanes as before.

Its so nice of the government to provide a lovely strip of empty tarmac on the left for the tourists to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

MJohnston wrote: »
    They do, just you have to have Java installed for it:
    http://www.traffic-simulation.de/

Thanks, for all those of you running Java 7, you'll have to add http://www.traffic-simulation.de/ to the list of Excepted Sites in the Security Tab from the Control Panel.

I think I'll set the "politeness factor" to be low for Ireland.
    Might even improve traffic flow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the trucks that cause tailbacks. Not the thousands of cars of course, nah it couldn't be that. :rolleyes:

You do realise that slower speeds increase road capacity. Keeping the 100kph limit until the M7/M9 junction (and enforcing the limits with variable speed cameras) would reduce the tailbacks on this section.

I don't think the three lanes becoming two at J9 is the issue either. A lot of cars exit at J9 anyway.

The tailbacks often start around J6 for inexplicable reasons. Stop / start for ages and then you see the cause of the problem - a guy stopped on the hard shoulder changing a tyre. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Victor wrote: »

Poor reporting in the paper of record. It removes the last non-freeflow junction between Dunkettle and Hillsborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mackerski wrote: »
    Poor reporting in the paper of record. It removes the last non-freeflow junction between Dunkettle and Hillsborough.

O for the day they get rid of Hillsborough and Sprucefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least there's no lights on those - no huge delay at night or other quiet times

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They all continue driving in the 2 right most lanes as before.

Its so nice of the government to provide a lovely strip of empty tarmac on the left for the tourists to look at.
    Behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can I mention that the proposal to name the flyover after Veronica Guerin is a dreadful one.

I have no objection to naming roads and structures after people so long as its appropriate, where you have a graceful bridge or iconic building, but the bargain basement ugly build that is the Newlands flyover which now entombs the spot where she was murdered at, is just not appropriate.

She is remembered through a journalistic scholarship in her name, which reflects her work, and that is how it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Can I mention that the proposal to name the flyover after Veronica Guerin is a dreadful one.

I have no objection to naming roads and structures after people so long as its appropriate, where you have a graceful bridge or iconic building, but the bargain basement ugly build that is the Newlands flyover which now entombs the spot where she was murdered at, is just not appropriate.

She is remembered through a journalistic scholarship in her name, which reflects her work, and that is how it should be.

And with the very greatest of respect to the family and friends of Veronica, it's not as if the flyover absolutely has to be named after anyone in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

i think the flyover is elegant.

i actually dont understand how you could think it ugly. did you see the drone footage of it on youtube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Redd4 wrote: »
    i think the flyover is elegant.

i actually dont understand how you could think it ugly. did you see the drone footage of it on youtube?

I don't think it's ugly either.

But that's beside the point. The point is, is it really necessary to name the flyover after Veronica Guerin, simply because it's at the spot where she was murdered - or after anyone at all, for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

i dont think so myself

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think it looks well but I don't think the bridge needs a name. It all can still be referred to as Newlands Cross.

For some reason I thought Veronica Guerin was shot at the lights at Kill but could be wrong on that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mackerski wrote: »
    Also the RTE video refers to it as a junction on the M7 instead of N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

NEDDURC wrote: »
    For some reason I thought Veronica Guerin was shot at the lights at Kill but could be wrong on that one.

I thought that too??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Redd4 wrote: »
    did you see the drone footage of it on youtube?

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I think it looks well but I don't think the bridge needs a name. It all can still be referred to as Newlands Cross.

It was near Newlands, there is/was (it was meant to be moved) a memorial garden at the Boot Road entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

L1011 wrote: »
    It was near Newlands, there is/was (it was meant to be moved) a memorial garden at the Boot Road entrance

There used to be a set of lights at the Boot Road junction. It was here that she was shot. I passed the scene some hours after the killing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

It's still not clear though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

The scene from the film was shot on the Naas - Newbridge Dual Carriageway at the Red House

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Does anyone remember how many sets of traffic lights there were on the Naas dual carriageway at its worst?

Where were they located?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

So goodbye yellow brick road, and all that. Thanks Bluntguy for starting the thread.
    I've been commuting through for 23 years, and before that I used hitch from there in the 1970's and 80s.
    Got the motorbike when thinks went mad on that road about 10 years ago. Can I now sell it? Not just yet, let us see. Sorry if I clipped a few wing mirrors over the years!

Anyway, look out for the cyclists at all the slip roads, they need drivers to be their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

BuzzFish wrote: »

About 6500 Daytime images taken from the traffic cam at Newlands over the construction period to date. A fair amount of work done...

This video has now found its way onto the RTE website.

http://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2014/1119/660774-timelapse-of-construction-of-newlands-cross-flyover/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

In reply to nednew2 Does anyone remember how many sets of traffic lights there were on the Naas dual carriageway at its worst?

Where were they located?

Well coming from the mad cow roundabout heading towards naas there use to be lights at the monastery road junction for traffic turning right to clondalkin. Then there was the newlands cross, after that it was the boot road junction. The next set of lights use to be at the saggart junction (just after where the citywest bridge is now) where roadstone is, then there were lights at rathcoole. I think that was it until naas.

Forgot to mention kill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember one at Goffs.

If you get really bored, look at http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,588882,739883,0,10 and the historical maps. Should all be on there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember 2 at rathcoole, and the one at Johnstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Spent my last evening hopefully waiting for the lights to go green for several minutes on the belgard road. Hopefully the contractor will change the length of the sequence of lights for traffic on the belgard/fonthill roads from tomorrow morning?

Slightly off topic but it would be nice to see some old photos of the newlands cross. I saw one a few years ago from the 1930's. It just looked like a crossroads you would see down the country.

Actually it would be good to see old photos of the naas road as well. Does anybody remember was the red cow looked like before the m50 was built or what the belgard road looked like before 1983? I have only faded memories of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

beertons wrote: »
    I remember 2 at rathcoole, and the one at Johnstown.

Wasn't there a set at kill? I was only a wee pickle but I remember there being lights at both sides of kill too

Advertisement