Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wasn't there a set at kill? I was only a wee pickle but I remember there being lights at both sides of kill too

Yes, 2 at Kill aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

smokie72 wrote: »
    Spent my last evening hopefully waiting for the lights to go green for several minutes on the belgard road. Hopefully the contractor will change the length of the sequence of lights for traffic on the belgard/fonthill roads from tomorrow morning?

Slightly off topic but it would be nice to see some old photos of the newlands cross. I saw one a few years ago from the 1930's. It just looked like a crossroads you would see down the country.

Actually it would be good to see old photos of the naas road as well. Does anybody remember was the red cow looked like before the m50 was built or what the belgard road looked like before 1983? I have only faded memories of both.
    I'm sure if you went into The Red Cow they would have some older pictures in the wall in the foyer/bar ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

remember the old concrete surface, and ud be wizzing along and all you hear is duh dun.... duh dun..... duh dun.... duh dun..... etc going over the lines that seperated the concrete

Dont tell me we are going to have a " RIP Newlands Cross Traffic Lights" thread ? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

pad199207 wrote: »
    remember the old concrete surface, and ud be wizzing along and all you hear is duh dun.... duh dun..... duh dun.... duh dun..... etc going over the lines that seperated the concrete

Dont tell me we are going to have a " RIP Newlands Cross Traffic Lights" thread ?:O

Excuse me i have to.....make something....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

can anyone tell me did they say at all what time the flyover will be open to traffic at all tommorow? not sure if i should try it out going to work in the morning or avoid it if it not open yet to traffic.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

mollybird wrote: »
    can anyone tell me did they say at all what time the flyover will be open to traffic at all tommorow? not sure if i should try it out going to work in the morning or avoid it if it not open yet to traffic.

thanks

The new flyover at Newlands Cross will open to traffic on Thursday morning, 20th November 2014.
    Road Users are urged to follow all directional signage and to obey the reduced speed limits in the vicinity of Newlands Cross.

The planned traffic switches will be carried out at night time in order to minimise traffic disruption and ensure the safety of road users and our construction and traffic teams. Local residents will be notified in advance of any night time works at the junction. Traffic signals will be relocated to account for the revised layout.

http://www.n7n11.ie/n7-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Be honest, who on here is going to camp in the hard shoulder to be one of the first cars to cross?

(I have considered it)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

be nice if the guy with the drone caught the first car across it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redd4 wrote: »
    be nice if the guy with the drone caught the first car across it

It'll probably be VERY dark when it opens

I wouldn't put it beyond the realms of possibility it'l be open before midnight tonight either, but I'm not going out to check!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

I drove throught at 8pm tonight heading inbound. They were closing off the outside two lanes with cones about 1km before the start of the flyover. I assume they are getting the join up between the new and old road ready. I could be wrong about this, I no nothing about road construction.

Also a nasty crash at junction 1 inbound. Hopefully the free flowing traffic will eliminate crashes here in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

Drone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Scheduled to open at 6am in the morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'll swing by around 11 tonight to have a look but I reckon they'll do it around 6am.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There'll probably be a 60km speed limit on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

beertons wrote: »
    There'll probably be a 60km speed limit on it!

Yeah, still will be a construction site at either end so for now it'll be 60km.
    Any ideas if it will go straight to 100km outbound when complete once the traffic splits off for Belgard etc. I'd guess it will be 60 or 80 inbound from the Greenisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'll swing by around 11 tonight to have a look but I reckon they'll do it around 6am.

Headin through at about 6:30...nooice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Hit the change over traffic there about an hour ago, good lord that was fierce :o

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Ok probably a stupid question, but can I watch a video or something of which lane will do what? If I were coming from the naas direction looking to go to the luas at the red cow- I presume I take the left most lane of the flyover, and take the left for the luas when I come off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Musefan wrote: »
    Ok probably a stupid question, but can I watch a video or something of which lane will do what? If I were coming from the naas direction looking to go to the luas at the red cow- I presume I take the left most lane of the flyover, and take the left for the luas when I come off it?

I'm fairly confident that there will be plenty of signage and overhead gantries telling you which lane you will need to be in

Swung by. Still surfacing to do so defo not open for several more hours. Saw them removing the paint from one of the gantries though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

spacetweek wrote: »
    Swung by. Still surfacing to do so defo not open for several more hours. Saw them removing the paint from one of the gantries though :)

0039.jpg

Cam through an hour or so ago. Long delays as only one lane open each way through. Cam above shows traffic back to Kingswood. Hopefully the last time we see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Musefan wrote: »

Thankfully no.

From the plans it appears that there is access from the flyover only to M50N M50S and R110 Naas Road, for all other roads including Red Cow P&R you will have to still use Newlands Cross.

No doubt there will be more than a few fools not paying attention before the new layout coming to a screaming stop around where the old slip for Red Cow was when they realise they can't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Had to go for a spin over it just now, I must say it felt odd not stopping and carrying straight on through, and a little bit eerie in that fog seeing the trucks going over and not in front of you as you come down Belgard road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Had to go for a spin over it just now, I must say it felt odd not stopping and carrying straight on through, and a little bit eerie in that fog seeing the trucks going over and not in front of you as you come down Belgard road

If it becomes an on going issue you could always head down one slip lane, stop at the lights and then back up the opposite side just to reminisce about the old days :)
    Glad to hear it's open and I'm sure there'll be lots of happy commuters on it this morning.

jvan wrote: »
    If it becomes an on going issue you could always head down one slip lane, stop at the lights and then back up the opposite side just to reminisce about the old days :)
    Glad to hear it's open and I'm sure there'll be lots of happy commuters on it this morning.

How did you know that's what I'd do??? :pac: came down belgard road went left as far as kingswood, back towards the M50 so I could go over the flyover, off at the Luas park and ride, back up the n7 to newlands cross and instead of going over this time I went to the lights and straight through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Got through Newlands Cross a few mins ago. The overpass is finally open. Seems a good job. You dont even get a feeling youre on a bridge like structure. Good quality of final layer of asphalt. Lanes seem wide enough. Used my dash cam to take a short video. Might try to ipload it later although it was dark and foggy

a quiet newlands cross this morning
    067xKyn.jpg

njbtzCl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Not a word from AA road watch- Newlands doesn't exist anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hynsey

Just shaved 15-20 mins off my journey from rathcoole to Sandyford (took 26 mins today). And that was in foggy conditions! This is a gift - waited so long for this, thankfully here at last :)

• Advertisement

green isle to joels

Advertisement