Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's almost unsettling to look at :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

beertons wrote: »
    There'll probably be a 60km speed limit on it!

Sure there's no place to park a van. God I was so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

went over at around 7.30; traffic slow enough this morning on N7 (coming from portarlington) and I'm still in work 10 minutes early - Im never early! Though M50 southbound moved better this morning as well - not sure it thats a direct result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

janedoe75 wrote: »
    went over at around 7.30; traffic slow enough this morning on N& (coming from portarlington) and I'm still in work 10 minutes early - Im never early! Though M50 southbound moved better this morning as well - not sure it thats a direct result!

Live drive was saying its heavier than normal from m1 junction to j12 southbound this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

beertons wrote: »
    Sure there's no place to park a van. God I was so stupid.

Sticking to the limit through a works area is stupid??

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sticking to the limit through a works area is stupid??

I'm on about when it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Live drive was saying its heavier than normal from m1 junction to j12 southbound this morning.

well from my own experience, it moved a lot better than it has recently; it slowed at little a junctions but i cant remember the last time i got up to 80km/hr on the m50 in the morning!

No idea what it was like from m1 to J9 as I joined at J9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

slinky2000 wrote: »

I disagree, traffic was just as bad on the M50 all week!

Pam has been saying all along 'traffic has to go somewhere' so it suited her to say that this morning's traffic was down to the freeflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

That fog out there is pretty bad so its down to that also..Hard to go on today with people slowing down due to the fog.

Also after watching finnharpsboy's vid, Is there street lights on the left hand side near the end not turned on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

This will just pish the traffic back to the long mile junction, sure even the red cow roundabout isn't free flow after all the millions spent.

Just do it all right from the start please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Also after watching finnharpsboy's vid, Is there street lights on the left hand side near the end not turned on yet?

Hopefully that's down to work on the sliproads not being finished yet. It did seem to get much darker very suddenly :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

The fog made it abit difficult this morning. Signage wasn't great either.

I think people will soon get used to what lane they need to be in though so I'd expect it to be good next week.

Delighted its open.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Big congratulations to all involved in this i was well impressed this morning!

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the speed will officially be (when it's all finished and the ancillary works are finished)? Before the works started it was 80 to/from the bow string bridge at the luas/clondakin bit all this talk of 60 over it has me worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Great news that's it's finally open and seems to be well finished. We've all been waiting a long time for this one. Looking forward to using it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Hackery wrote: »
    Great news that's it's finally open and seems to be well finished. We've all been waiting a long time for this one. Looking forward to using it later.

I was on it this morning in the bus, coming past citywest i was expecting the usual traffic jams I was soooo used to but no, there was nothing, nothing at kings wood, nothing at all :D it was....magical :rolleyes: Cannot wait to drive over it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A couple of issues this morning, fog and a full road closure of Crumlin Road due to an incident had traffic diverting into an unusual pattern.

However something different was causing congestion between J9 Red Cow and J10 Ballymount southbound and from my visual of it, it was conflict of a high volume of traffic hitting the M50 S.B. from the Naas Road, as I expected, and mainline traffic wishing to exit at Ballymount. New bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I remember one at Goffs.

If you get really bored, look at http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,588882,739883,0,10 and the historical maps. Should all be on there.

The overlay on that OSI map doesn't blend so well any more:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A couple of issues this morning, fog and a full road closure of Crumlin Road due to an incident had traffic diverting into an unusual pattern.

However something different was causing congestion between J9 Red Cow and J10 Ballymount southbound and from my visual of it, it was conflict of a high volume of traffic hitting the M50 S.B. from the Naas Road, as I expected, and mainline traffic wishing to exit at Ballymount. New bottleneck.

I went N7 inbound over Newlands then M50 South bound and I felt it moved better and there was less congestion when I went through at 7.40am.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ciarsd wrote: »
    Yeah, it ain't updated since the start of the month. One of the other posters contacted livedrive on twitter about it. I've also put in a support ticket with SDCC through their website to see what's what, and when it will be back up and running.

Got a reply today from SDCC. Not much of an update, more of an in progress..:)

"Thank you for your query. I have referred same to the Land Use, Planning & Transportation Department for attention and reply to you.

Regards,"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I wouldn't be blaming the new flyover for anything until the end of next week. It'll take a few trips for the traffic gets used to the new layout, then whether it's had a negative effect on other roads can be judged.
    However the positives can be seen already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

paulbok wrote: »
    I wouldn't be blaming the new flyover for anything until the end of next week. It'll take a few trips for the traffic gets used to the new layout, then whether it's had a negative effect on other roads can be judged.
    However the positives can be seen already.

Can never understand this. How stupid are people? What is there to get used to - its a straight road. You come off the M50, and drive up the road. You drive down the road, and enter the M50.

If you want to go up the belgard road or into clondalkin, go up the side.

Its hardly a spaghetti junction!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Perfect time of the year to be opening it, give everyone a few weeks to get used to it, before the Christmas rush, and before the weather gets worse.

As I said previously, it will take some getting used to, this is normal with any new significant road layout/change.

Add to that the increased volumes of traffic coming closer to year end, it will probably be January until the new system settles down, and we can get a true view of the benefits of the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Got a reply today from SDCC. Not much of an update, more of an in progress..:)

"Thank you for your query. I have referred same to the Land Use, Planning & Transportation Department for attention and reply to you.

Regards,"

Further update just now.

"SDCC Customer Contact System

Camera image will be available shortly

Issue due to device failure on-site has been resolved"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Can never understand this. How stupid are people? What is there to get used to - its a straight road. You come off the M50, and drive up the road. You drive down the road, and enter the M50.

Ah yes but you see people are idiots and are confused by change.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Larbre34 wrote: »

The backup at Ballymount wasn't any worse than normal. I use it everyday and the Newlands upgrade has had no effect (negative nor positive) on filtering southbound this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Further update just now.

"SDCC Customer Contact System

Camera image will be available shortly

Issue due to device failure on-site has been resolved"

Camera up and running again now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There's a big change - if you want to turn right, you used to get into the right lane. Now you get into the left one and if you realise too late, with a 3-lane layout, there's no time to correct your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Habit.

If someone drives in via the N7 every day, and every day they slot into the right-hand lane just after the Honda building in preparation for turning right at Newlands, then it's going to happen lots of times that people in the zone and not paying attention will find themselves in the wrong lane.

The main issue is that a subset of these people are complete idiots who will jam on and try to find ways to duck into the left lane rather than just bulling on and coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nearly after having a serrious accident here at Newlands Cross outbound

Some cars were entering the carriageway from the outbound Tallaght off ramp into oncoming traffic!

Advertisement