Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

pad199207 wrote: »
    Nearly after having a serrious accident here at Newlands Cross outbound

Some cars were entering the carriageway from the outbound Tallaght off ramp into oncoming traffic!

And so it begins :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

And so it begins :rolleyes:

Must have been a cock up with the cones or something. These poor people looked horrified entering into the outbound lanes , let alone us swerving to avoid them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

pad199207 wrote: »
    Must have been a cock up with the cones or something. These poor people looked horrified entering into the outbound lanes , let alone us swerving to avoid them

Well thankfully nothing happened, but from what i can remember it's not exactly a rocket science layout, but as you said, probably a mess up with cones or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Sad to be excited about a road improvement but I'm looking-forward to this tomorrow morning! I just hope it doesn't make the merge onto the M50 southbound worse.

I hopefully I get my lane right the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

guys stop over reacting, everything was slow and sh1t this morning because of the FOG. I went through from Naas side heading to M50N about 8.30 and it was a breeze, no problems merging north on M50, exactly the same volume of cars as any other morning going down the ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

regedit wrote: »
    Used my dash cam to take a short video. Might try to ipload it later although it was dark and foggy

Does your dash cam record a GPS tracklog? If so, it would be great to get a copy of it so I can refine the line of the junction on OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001072&reportdate=2014-11-17&enddate=2014-11-20&dir=-2

Eastbound traffic way up today on every other day this week - 3500 cars per hour at 7am! And no corresponding fall in traffic in the following hours.
    Smaller rise westbound but presumably that will rise at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Drove over the Newlands flyover coming from Naas at 9:30am this morning.
    I woohooed as I crested over the top of the flyover and down the far side. A great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

omicron wrote: »
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001072&reportdate=2014-11-17&enddate=2014-11-20&dir=-2

Eastbound traffic way up today on every other day this week - 3500 cars per hour at 7am! And no corresponding fall in traffic in the following hours.

Wonderful data!
    Does that mean that during the roadworks approx 20% of drivers switched their route and have now switched back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

In my case I normally get the train up but I had just missed my train due to an appointment so rather than wait half an hour for the next train from Sallins I said I'd chance driving up to try out the new junction. Also get to have a spin at it this evening on the way home, sad but genuinely happy with the flyover being in place now. Okay once you get passed it you still have to deal with the traffic from Long Mile Road on into the city center as I was but it's great that it helps keep the traffic at least going to the M50 to move along and also with the traffic moving continuously instead of stopping by light evens when it's heavy it keeps moving and ultimately faster for all. Easily saved me 15 mins this morning and with the heavy fog I'd suspect if the lights were in place it would have taken even longer than that to go through the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lads out of interest, how bad was the air quality before the free flow? Surely it must have been awful for nearby residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The N4 seems a bit lighter this evening - can only assume that some people who were using the N4 and then backroads to avoid Newlands are now back on the N7.

L1011 wrote: »
    The N4 seems a bit lighter this evening - can only assume that some people who were using the N4 and then backroads to avoid Newlands are now back on the N7.

Google traffic has the N7 at Naas back before Kill and it's not 5pm yet, volumes up significantly westbound as well. Possibly the fastest ever proof of the ''traffic expands to fill available space'' theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Once more into the breach in 10 minutes. Normally it takes me 20/30 minutes to get from the Kingswood on-ramp to the red cow junction. Will have the stop watch running this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Google traffic has the N7 at Naas back before Kill and it's not 5pm yet, volumes up significantly westbound as well. Possibly the fastest ever proof of the ''traffic expands to fill available space'' theory!

Three car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fog out there is causing hassle as well.

Tomorrow evening will be a bigger test westbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

drove outbound this late afternoon from m50 NB to N7 ,

was going passed the Ball at Naas at 4.16, a whole 15 minutes earlier than normal,
    traffic was more fluid, there was no breaking and no problems from the 3 lanes to 2 lanes onto the M7.
    outbound before hand there was slight breaking at Citywest and at Kill, but this was due to idiots on their phones hogging the middle lane and idiots merging.
    apart from that I was constantly driving around 100km/h on the N7.

Tomorrow afternoon outbound will be the real test.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Breakdown left lane at the crest of the New Flyover.
    unbeiliberable
    it just had to happen on its first day.
    The Wife just went M50sb to N7 outbound and was at a constant 80km/h and flew through.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

rameire wrote: »
    Breakdown left lane at the crest of the New Flyover.
    unbeiliberable
    No problems Newlands Cross Inbound earlier for me, but there was an accident northbound on the M50 on the rightmost overtaking lane a few cars ahead of me..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A couple of issues this morning, fog and a full road closure of Crumlin Road due to an incident had traffic diverting into an unusual pattern.

However something different was causing congestion between J9 Red Cow and J10 Ballymount southbound and from my visual of it, it was conflict of a high volume of traffic hitting the M50 S.B. from the Naas Road, as I expected, and mainline traffic wishing to exit at Ballymount. New bottleneck.

Truck broken down @ Ballymount iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Drove home via the new flyover this evening, partly to see what it was like, partly to avoid a crash on the M4.

All functioned ok, but fog and cones weren't helping things.

Flowed off the M50 with a slight hesitation at the top of the ramp. This was at around 4.15pm when traffic is normally clogged up or at least slow moving in the auxiliary lane between J10 and J9

Long may it continue!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Drove the flyover both directions about an hour ago. 2min30sec from Red Cow to Outer Ring Road junction! Incredible.

The flyover itself is very good quality and the incline is very shallow, with spacious lanes.

Drove over it this evening, fantastic job done on it, you'd hardly know you're on a flyover.

Over 92000 cars used the N7 between Newlands and Kingswood today. Highest figure I can find from the last few months is 74000 on the Friday of the October bank holiday. Presumably it has given some relief to the N4 and N81 going by those figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Hope it doesn't become a victim of its own success.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Fog out there is causing hassle as well.

Tomorrow evening will be a bigger test westbound.

I'm hoping the fog was one of the big factors yesterday in the massive tailback from Junction 11 (M9) back to practically Rathcoole from about 5pm onwards. I come onto the N7 from the Belgard Road, and yesterday at 17:30 the N7 was pretty much brake lights from the Poitin Stil to practically the M9 junction. This was always one of my fears in that the traffic that is normally staggered at Newlands, would start hitting Naas a lot quicker once the flyover opened, and as a result much bigger tailbacks every evening. Anyway hopefully the fog and the RTC on the N7 yesterday were mitigating factors, but today will tell a big story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

stuck behind the crash for 20 mins and I was home usual time. this morning I'm at my desk 20 mins earlier. Why do people have to be negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Drove over it this evening, fantastic job done on it, you'd hardly know you're on a flyover.

Over 92000 cars used the N7 between Newlands and Kingswood today. Highest figure I can find from the last few months is 74000 on the Friday of the October bank holiday. Presumably it has given some relief to the N4 and N81 going by those figures!

92k already on a D3 is concerning, but in any case its better than 74k hitting traffic lights. I can see in the distant future something like the original plans having to be built (motorway to the unbuilt M50 J8), as demand along the N7 corridor is going to skyrocket with rents/prices too high within the M50.

The more I look at this flyover the more I wish they'd put a full hard-shoulder on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

janedoe75 wrote: »
    stuck behind the crash for 20 mins and I was home usual time. this morning I'm at my desk 20 mins earlier. Why do people have to be negative?

Because it's not negativity, it's reality, I didn't dream or make up the fact that I was in first/second gear from pretty much Rathcoole to the M9 turnoff yesterday. As I say I'm hoping it was as a result of the crash and fog, and we will see today if the new flyover has improved or made things worse for traffic heading out of Dublin from about 5pm onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I did Stillorgan-Newbridge-Stillorgan yesterday. It was just under 40 minutes each trip against a usual 45 to 50. It gives not just a time saving, but also remarkable consistency in journey times. (I once spent six hours driving west back in the day.)
    I know we will move on to the next moan with "but whatabout", but this is a massive plus for Irish motoring. I tell ya, it is massive, just massive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

People are forgetting as well the roadworks at the M7 M9 merge are adding to traffic in the evenings. Once they finish there should be a further improvement in traffic. ( I Hope)

Advertisement