Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's harsh judging the success of the upgrade on the peak sections (am - inbound around M50/ LongMile Rd, and pm -outbound traffic around Kill/Naas) after 1 day. There was fog all day yesterday and a crash outbound in the evening which will will have impacted. Likewise this morning, traffic volumes seemed low (Aside - why is traffic so much lighter on a Friday? Surely so many can't have the day off?).
    Give it a few days in each direction before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

KBurke85 wrote: »
    People are forgetting as well the roadworks at the M7 M9 merge are adding to traffic in the evenings. Once they finish there should be a further improvement in traffic. ( I Hope)

I hope new roadworks begin there soon after the current ones end. The M7 Naas/Newbridge widening scheme will surely resolve the last issue on the M7/N7 up to the red cow.

Brilliant job done at Newlands Cross. Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Anyone know how the traffic outbound from the redcow to citywest has improved in rush hour about 8:30 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

40 mins Drogheda to citywest. Lets see what Monday brings...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Caliden wrote: »
    Once more into the breach in 10 minutes. Normally it takes me 20/30 minutes to get from the Kingswood on-ramp to the red cow junction. Will have the stop watch running this evening.

Took me all of 4 minutes yesterday evening. After the flyover the left lane going M50 northbound seemed to be moving slow enough but still 30-40kmh.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Anyone know how the traffic outbound from the redcow to citywest has improved in rush hour about 8:30 am?

Well from long mile road to kingswood exit at 8am there was barely any traffic, before you might get through the lights in 1 or 2 sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I see that the Green Isle camera is updating again. :)

snap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

paulbok wrote: »
    It's harsh judging the success of the upgrade on the peak sections (am - inbound around M50/ LongMile Rd, and pm -outbound traffic around Kill/Naas) after 1 day. There was fog all day yesterday and a crash outbound in the evening which will will have impacted. Likewise this morning, traffic volumes seemed low (Aside - why is traffic so much lighter on a Friday? Surely so many can't have the day off?).

I'd imagine volumes inbound only seemed low due to the lack of lights.

13800 cars from 7-9am, compared to 8500 on Mon/Tue/Wed this week.

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001072&reportdate=2014-11-17&enddate=2014-11-21&dir=0

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Because it's not negativity, it's reality, I didn't dream or make up the fact that I was in first/second gear from pretty much Rathcoole to the M9 turnoff yesterday. As I say I'm hoping it was as a result of the crash and fog, and we will see today if the new flyover has improved or made things worse for traffic heading out of Dublin from about 5pm onwards.

Of course it was the fog and the crash. I usually get home at 6pm. I still got home at 6pm despite the crash/fog yesterday. If Newlands has been closed I'd been home 6.30pm for sure.

On a Friday I normally get home at 6.30. Last Friday was 6.50pm. If I get home for 6pm tonite I'll be very happy. I still cant get my head around that people want this to fail so they can say I told you so. How on earth can the flyover make things worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Anyone willing to report on what the traffic was like inbound at the big Naas Road - Long Mile Road junction? Is there much of a queue getting onto the Long Mile Road (outside Woodies)?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

Deedsie wrote: »
    I hope new roadworks begin there soon after the current ones end. The M7 Naas/Newbridge widening scheme will surely resolve the last issue on the M7/N7 up to the red cow.

Brilliant job done at Newlands Cross. Delighted with it.

Has there been a timeframe as to when this will commence?

I know this is not really topic related but just while someone mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

tmkly wrote: »
    Has there been a timeframe as to when this will commence?

I know this is not really topic related but just while someone mentioned it.

I believe they are waiting for funding. Planning permission has been approved.

I was reading the EIS on the scheme on kildare county council website,

"It is anticipated the construction will last between 24 and 34 months. Two daytime traffic lanes will remain open in each direction throughout the construction phase. Lane closures can only happen between 22:00 and 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see that the Green Isle camera is updating again. :)

snap.jpg

3 cars (at least 3) in lane 2 there while lane 1 remains empty.

They might as well of just made the flyover 2 lanes each way instead of 3.

edit: this is a live updating picture, when I saw it, lane 1 was empty, while lane 2 had at least 3 cars in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

leonards wrote: »
    40 mins Drogheda to citywest. Lets see what Monday brings...

Yuo have got my attention! what time was this at? I'll be starting Lusk to citywest in the mornings in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Yuo have got my attention! what time was this at? I'll be starting Lusk to citywest in the mornings in the new year.

Left drogheda after 8.30...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Deedsie wrote: »
    I believe they are waiting for funding. Planning permission has been approved.

I was reading the EIS on the scheme on kildare county council website,

"It is anticipated the construction will last between 24 and 34 months. Two daytime traffic lanes will remain open in each direction throughout the construction phase. Lane closures can only happen between 22:00 and 06:00

Wow!! 2/3 years. That's depressing. I wouldn't have thought it would take that long. It would appear as though there is a very wide centre on this part of the M7. I would have thought the widening would have been much easier.

Hopefully they put incentives into any plan (like Newlands) rather than give it to council to do who just seem to leave the bollards on the M7 for miles without doing any work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Wow!! 2/3 years. That's depressing. I wouldn't have thought it would take that long. It would appear as though there is a very wide centre on this part of the M7. I would have thought the widening would have been much easier.

Hopefully they put incentives into any plan (like Newlands) rather than give it to council to do who just seem to leave the bollards on the M7 for miles without doing any work.

It's a long long time since councils were tasked with national road building projects. In fact I'd say the current resurfacing works are being done by the NRA rather than the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

3 cars (at least 3) in lane 2 there while lane 1 remains empty.

They might as well of just made the flyover 2 lanes each way instead of 3.

edit: this is a live updating picture, when I saw it, lane 1 was empty, while lane 2 had at least 3 cars in it.

Yea they avoid lane 1 as it moves slower than lane 2/3 because of people taking the exit.

I usually move into lane 1 once passed the slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Caliden wrote: »
    Yea they avoid lane 1 as it moves slower than lane 2/3 because of people taking the exit.

I usually move into lane 1 once passed the slip road.

but lane 1 was completely empty when I'd seen the picture

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You'd probably want to be waiting until 28th Nov which is when I believe the road works on the M9 will be complete before deciding what the overall impact of this has been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's a different image when I'm looking at it now compared to what you saw but Lane 1 is indeed still empty while Lane 2 has cars ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tonight with likely atrocious conditions and standard Friday traffic won't be a good comparison for a normal day either. Though it'll show what a bad day is like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

L1011 wrote: »
    Tonight with likely atrocious conditions and standard Friday traffic won't be a good comparison for a normal day either. Though it'll show what a bad day is like

I came off the M50 today around 11.30 (same time as wedensday) and flew through without slowing down, the traffic moves much more smoother south of Newlands now and should improve once all the works are completed and speed limits removed.

The only problem I can see is impatient arseholes bombing up lane 3 trying to get onto the M50 northbound which will cause accidents plus trucks will hit the red cow much faster causing them to turn over..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

NEDDURC wrote: »

The M1 widening probably took 2 years, but they widened J2-3 first and then J3-4

So hopefully ke co co would widen Naas bypass first then to M9 second, instead of waiting for it all to open at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Another crash outbound this evening, so we can't judge today either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Yes,

105 minutes from Finglas to Newbridge - 5.15 to 7.00pm.
    Tailback started at the Green Isle Hotel. Stop/start until J4. Was fine after that.

The flyover part on the journey home was fine. However going over it this morning was very slow. No apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

A lot of crashes this evening, was it raining oil or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

A lot of crashes this evening, was it raining oil or something?

Nope. The lunacy I witnessed this evening like every other evening was unbelievable.
    One guy driving on the n7 in wet conditions at 120km/hr literally inches from the vehicle in front - which was a transit van so I don't know what he thought he could see past it. Another numpty sitting at 70km/hr in the overtaking lane with nobody near him, it was either a dangerous undertaking manoeuvre, stand on the brakes to plough into the back of him.
    But the majority of the issue is people driving too fast for the conditions and too close to car in front. And dont get me started on the **** whose left foot is glued to the brake pedal or those who don't get their brokenlights fixed! So bloody sick of it!!! If everybody had a bit of patience, reduced the speed just a little to accommodate the volumes, we could all happily cruise home. Ridiculous amount of crashes lately.
    And why do they have to sit there for an hour like idiots when there's such minor damage blocking up the whole place!!?? Why can't they bloody take a few pics on their phones and move the hell off the road to the hard shoulder while you wait for the guards! 😡 RANT OVER

Having said that, if it hadn't been for the flyover, I think I'd still be on the n7!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Yes,

105 minutes from Finglas to Newbridge - 5.15 to 7.00pm.
    Tailback started at the Green Isle Hotel. Stop/start until J4. Was fine after that.

The flyover part on the journey home was fine. However going over it this morning was very slow. No apparent reason.

Yeah I was stuck in that, everything just seemed to stop for the craic of it, I was in a bit of a rush for college and when this happened I completely lost it :pac:

Something along the lines of "80 fcuking million spent*! 80!! And not a traffic light for miles and you still cant sort it out?!" :o

* rough estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

What an absolute joke it was last night. I travel that road every evening, and I've never witnessed anything like it. What a joke. Of course we can judge it, no traffic lights = no barrier, combined with bad conditions and thousands of cars is GRIDLOCK. We took a diversion via the N81 to get away from the N7.

Guest used to it people, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Guest used to it people, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Why?

Advertisement