Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 janedoe75

Today went grand for me - I'll be happy if it's like that everyday. Got to newlands at 7.25 and was at my desk in sandyford ind est at 7.50. 20 mins earlier than usual - that's 3 days in a row so I'm confident that's typical.

After thurs and Fridays disasters this evening was as I hoped it would be. Left sandyford at 4.30, m50 northbound moving ok, through newlands at 4.48 and hit naas at 5.02 - before it got busy. Slowed between j10 @ j11 but home in portarlington for 5.35 - 30 mins earlier than normal. Heard on the radio as I got into town though that there was a another crash on the n7 outbound at rathcoole so it's probably hell now.

Not everyone had the option but getting in early and getting out early makes a hell of a difference. Here's hoping today is going be an indication of a normal day.

paulbok wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. Those are perhaps the clearest, most informative signs anywhere in the city.
    I've seen drivers miss a giant flashing VMS sign and do a U turn and end up following me.

Some people are complete drones when it comes to driving, just wish that they could be reprogrammed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

janedoe75 wrote: »
    Today went grand for me - I'll be happy if it's like that everyday. Got to newlands at 7.25 and was at my desk in sandyford ind est at 7.50. 20 mins earlier than usual - that's 3 days in a row so I'm confident that's typical.

After thurs and Fridays disasters this evening was as I hoped it would be. Left sandyford at 4.30, m50 northbound moving ok, through newlands at 4.48 and hit naas at 5.02 - before it got busy. Slowed between j10 @ j11 but home in portarlington for 5.35 - 30 mins earlier than normal. Heard on the radio as I got into town though that there was a another crash on the n7 outbound at rathcoole so it's probably hell now.

Not everyone had the option but getting in early and getting out early makes a hell of a difference. Here's hoping today is going be an indication of a normal day.

Left Finglas at 5.15pm. Took 20 minutes to get to J3A Saggart / Citywest Hotel. Then a crawl for 15 minutes until just past Rathcoole. Reason - van and car stopped in third lane. Two squad cars. Van driver had arms folded eyeballing the slow-moving traffic. Ok after that aside from the normal slowdown between J9 and J10 [where I get off]. Home in Newbridge by 6.20pm.

So not too bad - but could have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

got to jn 9 m50 at 4;03pm today
    got to m7 jn 9 the Ball at Naas in 10 minutes
    got to jn 11 M9 merge in a further 7 minutes

so m50 to m9 merge in 17 minutes.
    if the days are all like that, im happy,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I truly believe that our motorways are very poorly policed, in the UK most motorways have a constant Police presence on them, as well as a DOE presence to police trucks. They also have speed regulation which I think would have the biggest chance of changing our extremely poor motorway driving, if it was ever brought in here. With speed regulation, if poor conditions or heavy traffic necessitate a lower speed limit, the overhead gantries will constantly flash the lower speed limit, with most gantries also having digital cameras built in to photo those who choose to ignore the lower speed limit. If they brought something similar in here it would have the potential to disqualify most of the clowns in this country who see fog or driving rain as an excuse to drive even faster than normal. Either way better policing, and more electronic surveillance of our motorways has to become the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

anyone any idea what s/b N7/M7 (2-3 Lane merge) was like around 6:00pm this evening?

Judging by reports on last Thursday/Friday it was chaos due to multiple crashes

Any more 5-car pileups today anyone wants to mention?
    Or do I assume no news is good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

In this day and age it should be possible to have a digital camera at slip roads etc with a program that detects probable offences, e.g crossing the hatching and flag these. With the need to only look at actual dodgy behaviour one human operator could monitor several cameras. Apart from anything else if this started there would be less to detect fairly quickly and those who did not get the message could then be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pablod wrote: »
    anyone any idea what s/b N7/M7 (2-3 Lane merge) was like around 6:00pm this evening?

Judging by reports on last Thursday/Friday it was chaos due to multiple crashes

Any more 5-car pileups today anyone wants to mention?
    Or do I assume no news is good news?

Sorry Pablod, another crash in more or less the same place at Rathcoole. Think it was cleared faster than last weeks (plenty of practice by now).

Another dopey graduate from the school of bad motoring on the M50 N on the westlink at 5:45 lanes 2 & 4 blocked with a few vehicles involved in that crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

There was a truck broke down on top of the flyover tonight around half 9ish :o i dont think there's been a day since it opened something hasn't gone wrong on it

paulbok wrote: »
    Sorry Pablod, another crash in more or less the same place at Rathcoole. Think it was cleared faster than last weeks (plenty of practice by now).

Another dopey graduate from the school of bad motoring on the M50 N on the westlink at 5:45 lanes 2 & 4 blocked with a few vehicles involved in that crash.

Cheers paulbok,
    First time driving back to Dublin in a week, so back to the normal commute from tomorrow,
    Fingers crossed no crahses as I'm going to chance going through Newlands tomorrow morning instead of diverting off at Kingswood/clondalkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

There was a truck broke down on top of the flyover tonight around half 9ish :o i dont think there's been a day since it opened something hasn't gone wrong on it

Yup passed that. The car in front of me in the inside lane where the truck was pulled in as far left as he could on the tiny yellow hatched marked area, must've only copped it last second and swerved massively to avoid. Anyone in the middle lane would've been side swiped.

well, 1st time using the flyover this morning, my only complaint is I was way too early for work... :rolleyes:

I was a bit apprehensive driving past Kingswood/GrangeCastle exit - thinking should I chance it but said feck it why not, it was some sight driving past this jn and to see the traffic flowing...

Passed N7j n9 (Big Ball) N/B at 07:35
    arrived at Longmile road jn at 07:52
    17mins travel time - happy days the only thing Im afraid of is if I leave later, as I just heard the tailback from longmile is back over the red cow now...

I know its been mentioned already, but it was unbelievable the amount of drivers (Trucks and Cars) making dangerous lane changes.
    and more so making 2-3 lane hops at the last minute just before the ramps to M50..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

17mins travel time - happy days the only thing Im afraid of is if I leave later, as I just heard the tailback from longmile is back over the red cow now...

Doesn't look like it

329497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I know its been mentioned already, but it was unbelievable the amount of drivers (Trucks and Cars) making dangerous lane changes.
    and more so making 2-3 lane hops at the last minute just before the ramps to M50..

That was always the case. You had cars in the past (and even now) who use the right lane inbound even though the intention isn't for them to go to city centre and then, last minute (sometimes even without signalling) move two lanes to head northbound! That's crazy and on top of everything it is dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Better this morning.

Left Newbridge at 7.40am.
    Slow to J9 / The Ball due to what looked like elephant racing.
    Hit Newlands Cross at 8.08am. No problems.
    M50 North congested and slow-moving in parts.
    Arrived in Finglas at 8.30am.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Better this morning.

Left Newbridge at 7.40am.
    Slow to J9 / The Ball due to what looked like elephant racing.
    Hit Newlands Cross at 8.08am. No problems.
    M50 North congested and slow-moving in parts.
    Arrived in Finglas at 8.30am.

Definite elephant racing to the ball. Fine afterwards, great not having traffic back to Rathcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

first morning using it. Went through early, maybe 7.15. A bit slow merging onto the m50 SB, but nothing out of the ordinary. 83 minutes from my house in KK to Sandyford. I'd guess 20 minutes saved. The key now is getting out of bed early enough to take advantage of the free flow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Need to be in Naas for 09:30 tomorrow morning, coming from Sandyford. Any idea how long it will take me to get through at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its funny how you can get between cork and belfast now, without "any lights" but you will probably be stop / start for quite a bit around dublin....

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its funny how you can get between cork and belfast now, without "any lights" but you will probably be stop / start for quite a bit around dublin....

And at the tolls at Fermoy, Portlaoise and Drogheda (and paying for a fourth at M50)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

And at the tolls at Fermoy, Portlaoise and Drogheda (and paying for a fourth at M50)
    Get yer easyPass out!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Get yer easyPass out!

Not really worth it, for sporadic journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Went past Newland Cross around 3pm. Looked like a burst water mains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

pad199207 wrote: »

The place is cursed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Please god no.

Nothing on AA yet. Hopefully it's not a recurrence of the burst water main during the summer which caused havoc.

Think ill be going the ol reliable kingswood way from now on! Feck this craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Google Maps Traffic still showing it as green all along the mainline

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Think ill be going the ol reliable kingswood way from now on! Feck this craic!

Up the R838? That's got a few slow (orange) sections showing whereas the N7 only has an orange section at the M50 offramp.
    After that it's all clear
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3037386,-6.3828443,14z/data=!5m1!1e1

josip wrote: »
    Up the R838? That's got a few slow (orange) sections showing whereas the N7 only has an orange section at the M50 offramp.
    After that it's all clear
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3037386,-6.3828443,14z/data=!5m1!1e1

Aye, in the mornings though its handy enough, got a good clear run at the flyover this morning however which was eh...fun ;) its similar on the way home too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this is looking like a joke already, not having a hard shoulder on the flyover... Could they narrow the existing lanes to fit one in?

Advertisement