Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

traffic backed up inbound after crash, you can see it on traffic camera...

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

chicorytip wrote: »
    My impression is that the new outbound lanes are not only more narrow but dangerously narrow increasing the risk of colliding with adjacent vehicles.

@60kmh?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 varioguard

My impression is that the new outbound lanes are not only more narrow but dangerously narrow increasing the risk of colliding with adjacent vehicles.

Nope. They are actually wider. Old 3.25 - 3.65m, new 3.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Idbatterim wrote: »

And on the map

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3153991,-6.3756989,15z/data=!5m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

More ejits on the roads again this morning causing an accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

varioguard wrote: »
    Nope. They are actually wider. Old 3.25 - 3.65m, new 3.5m

Ok,that's definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Could be some discussion on Joe today, depending on how it pans out. Could be, ahem, interesting

https://twitter.com/RTERadio1/status/537591076182568960

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cars aren't colliding due to narrow lanes, it's rapid lane-switching and following the vehicle in front too closely

spacetweek wrote: »
    Cars aren't colliding due to narrow lanes, it's rapid lane-switching and following the vehicle in front too closely

... and when rearview mirror is used only for applying makeup:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Idbatterim wrote: »

Where did it happen? Traffic has since cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Caliden wrote: »
    Where did it happen? Traffic has since cleared.

I would guess where the black arrow is
    wlor46.png

Ah yes, the same place where I had some clown in the right lane squeeze in between me and the car in front and then try join the left lane despite there being signs for ~2km.

I once saw a Garda flash someone in the right lane to move left, when they were coasting along at 40kmh only for them to try and pull over at the median....

That stretch would be a good contender for a traffic cam that had the ability to hand out tickets for careless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ah yes, the same place where I had some clown in the right lane squeeze in between me and the car in front and then try join the left lane despite there being signs for ~2km.

I once saw a Garda flash someone in the right lane to move left, when they were coasting along at 40kmh only for them to try and pull over at the median....

That stretch would be a good contender for a traffic cam that had the ability to hand out tickets for careless driving.

Yep another truck hammered up lane 3 the other morning then cut me up to join the M50 northbound. I reckon a dedicated traffic unit would clean up around here.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yep another truck hammered up lane 3 the other morning then cut me up to join the M50 northbound. I reckon a dedicated traffic unit would clean up around here.

The thing with that is, that there's nowhere safe to pull them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Truckermal wrote: »

It would be great if the Gardaí could monitor cameras and just issue fines/points with a video of the infraction. It would seem a cheaper and more effective option than Traffic cars.

I'd imagine new legislation would be needed but it's the type of thing we should be looking at.

The thing with that is, that there's nowhere safe to pull them up.
    They could always video it and pick up the driver later.

The video could be copied to another Garda car to do the "lift" later on in a safer area, not rocket science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

hardCopy wrote: »
    It would be great if the Gardaí could monitor cameras and just issue fines/points with a video of the infraction. It would seem a cheaper and more effective option than Traffic cars.

I'd imagine new legislation would be needed but it's the type of thing we should be looking at.

What's needed now in this country is a dedicated traffic core with statutory autonomy within the Garda force, not just a few regular Garda cars with 'Traffic Corp' written on them. General car bashing by authorities does nothing to change driver attitudes and anti-car policy is only likely to create a backlash down the line - in any case, motorists like myself who drive with consideration do not deserve to be punished by both aggressive drivers (who get away with blue murder) and anti-car measures (such as current cycling policy) - the ordinary decent motorist is caught in a two front war. As we pay heavily for the use of our cars, we deserve better.

We need a traffic corp that will robustly deal with people driving on motorways/dual carriageways at inappropriate speeds. Motorists must be compelled to generally keep within the speed limit while at the same time keeping up with the traffic as well as driving in a manner appropriate to the conditions on the road. For example, in normal free flowing traffic conditions, car drivers should aim for about 110kph on the motorway while not exceeding 120kph or dropping below 100kph (unless caught behind slower traffic etc). In atrocious storm conditions, car drivers may have to drop their speed to around 80-90kph - in other words, common sense. Also, if any car driver was caught doing speeds like 160kph or 60kph on motorways, they should be off the road - simple as.

Trucks obviously need a safety review - such vehicles should be required to have video monitoring of blind spots at all times. I heard about the woman who was side swiped by a truck on or near the Red Cow Interchange and lucky to live and tell the tale. With accidents like this, it is probable that trucks are unsafe vehicles as their drivers have very limited vision of what's going on around them. Also, another woman was on radio who was very shaken by the driving on the M50 during very wet weather conditions - she simply couldn't not believe the manner in which vehicles including trucks were progressing in total disregard of the weather conditions - unfortunately, I'd well believe it. These said events raises serious questions regarding the training of truck drivers and the impunity of some motorists.

Finally, I was driving in dense fog this evening at approximately 40kph on dark rural roads. There were some motorists at various times driving close behind wanting me to go a lot faster - well I refuse as I'm driving to the conditions. With visibility down to less than 20m at times, the road was difficult to follow. Also, motorists are required to watch out for pedestrians etc. as a core part of their responsibility. At least two such clowns overtook me in dense fog - stupid bloody idiots who obviously are lacking in the upstairs department - I seriously hope these people smash themselves up without killing or maiming anyone else. I know that this is a horrible thing to say, but my take on it is that if such people are going to behave in a manner that totally disregards the safety of others, then why should anyone give a damn about them??? Also, 'Do they deserve to die?' some might ask and my answers is 'Well who deserves to die - other innocent road users???' - well I think not! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

We have a Garda Traffic Corp!!

Hens teeth & all that.

In seriousness, I relate a story which about sums up some Garda take on driving & road safety.

Few years back on pre 3 lane M50 was travelling back from M1 to Blanch area.

Got stuck behind a car who was doing some erratic driving & constantly speeding up & slowing down.
    Anyways, took it steady overtaking as a Garda Traffic Corp car was behind me. Eventually together we both passed this rather errant driver at a steady 85 or so. Now as I overtook I could see the drivers head was bobbing from side to side quite manically. I looked at his windscreen & I swear to god this is the honest truth. There was a 2 foot square piece of wood/hardboard (2 pieces) fastened directly to the middle of his viewing area on the windscreen. You could make out the bolt sticking out on his side of the window.

Now here's the thing the Guards drove by & alongside the car at the same pace if not a little slower.
    I looked back albeit briefly & saw that both glanced across at the driver as he was veering quite badly & come across lanes to some degree.

& Guess what Lads? Did the Guards pull him? Did they follow him? Did they take his reg?

A big fat NOPE they just drove on by & over took me & that was that..........

Words failed me at the time & even now Im still agag at that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

We have a Garda Traffic Corp!!

Hens teeth & all that.

In seriousness, I relate a story which about sums up some Garda take on driving & road safety.

Few years back on pre 3 lane M50 was travelling back from M1 to Blanch area.

Got stuck behind a car who was doing some erratic driving & constantly speeding up & slowing down.
    Anyways, took it steady overtaking as a Garda Traffic Corp car was behind me. Eventually together we both passed this rather errant driver at a steady 85 or so. Now as I overtook I could see the drivers head was bobbing from side to side quite manically. I looked at his windscreen & I swear to god this is the honest truth. There was a 2 foot square piece of wood/hardboard (2 pieces) fastened directly to the middle of his viewing area on the windscreen. You could make out the bolt sticking out on his side of the window.

Now here's the thing the Guards drove by & alongside the car at the same pace if not a little slower.
    I looked back albeit briefly & saw that both glanced across at the driver as he was veering quite badly & come across lanes to some degree.

& Guess what Lads? Did the Guards pull him? Did they follow him? Did they take his reg?

A big fat NOPE they just drove on by & over took me & that was that..........

Words failed me at the time & even now Im still agag at that.

Well that explains all regarding the impunity amid aggressive/errant motorists out there! Is it any wonder - let's hope this new Garda Commissioner does what she says on the tin! A serious shake-up is needed in the Garda Force.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

:eek:

Another crash!!! Same place almost same time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

The constant flow from Newlands is definitely bottling at Naas jn9 S/B in evenings. Driving home tonight, there were no crashes

Flew through Long Mile Junction, Red Cow, Newlands etc.
    Then hit a wall of traffic at a stop at Kill no crashes, took approx. 25-30mins stop-start from jn7 Kill to jn11 M9
    And it’s not a back log from the M9 road works, just sheer volume of idiot drivers tailgating/lane hopping and braking every 30 seconds

Not sure if its the case of people having to get to used to driving with heavier voume or having to wait for the widening of the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Widening the M7 will not cure the problem but should ease it though it's all driver behaviour.

Pablod wrote: »

Not sure if its the case of people having to get to used to driving with heavier voume or having to wait for the widening of the M7
    Not so much constant flow but people using N7 rather than n81, n4. We do need the widening of the M7 to the M9 junction.

From

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/calendar_alt.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001072

Yesterday
    07-19 70921
    06-22 83657
    06-24 86496
    00-24 89799

am Peak 08:00
    Peak Volume 6986
    Peak Factor 0.947
    pm Peak 16:00
    Peak Volume 7094
    Peak Factor 0.959

Day before Newland Cross Overpass opened

07-19 52965
    06-22 64439
    06-24 67387
    00-24 70592

am Peak 08:00
    Peak Volume 4420
    Peak Factor 0.929
    pm Peak 16:00
    Peak Volume 5090
    Peak Factor 0.962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I work in Newbridge and live the Blessington side of Naas so have to go over the M7 everyday. Since the bridge opened the traffic on the M7 where I go over it is definitely heavier every evening, even at a standstill some evenings early in the week, it used to always be at a standstill on Fridays and very heavy on Thursdays. I'm passing over the motorway south of junction 10.

Incidentally my wife works in Tallaght so goes on the n81 and she says it's quieter since the bridge opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pablod wrote: »
    The constant flow from Newlands is definitely bottling at Naas jn9 S/B in evenings. Driving home tonight, there were no crashes

Flew through Long Mile Junction, Red Cow, Newlands etc.
    Then hit a wall of traffic at a stop at Kill no crashes, took approx. 25-30mins stop-start from jn7 Kill to jn11 M9
    And it’s not a back log from the M9 road works, just sheer volume of idiot drivers tailgating/lane hopping and braking every 30 seconds

What was the usual journey time for that stretch before last week? Can you remember what it was like before the Newlands roadworks started, when same the traffic would have used the N7?

renofan wrote: »
    I work in Newbridge and live the Blessington side of Naas so have to go over the M7 everyday. Since the bridge opened the traffic on the M7 where I go over it is definitely heavier every evening, even at a standstill some evenings early in the week, it used to always be at a standstill on Fridays and very heavy on Thursdays. I'm passing over the motorway south of junction 10.

Incidentally my wife works in Tallaght so goes on the n81 and she says it's quieter since the bridge opened!

I'm a little shocked that there has been nearly a ~30% increase in volume, though it would be around 10-20% max.
    With that in mind, if the additional volume had been using the N4 or N81, where would they have rejoined the N7? was the n81 traffic hitting the whole way down to Carlow direction and N4 cutting across by Sallins?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Today, this evening was definitively better. I left Clonskeagh at 18L00 and was at the Newbridge exit at 18:45. It went fine from Longmile Road to Naas. Slowed down a little bit but was still able to do 80 km/h. Based on the traffic volume data the OP put up, the traffic volumes have increased significantly so, we need the Naas-Kildare stretch to be widened significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Is there any new info on the M7 widening scheme, I can't find any information on it anywhere?.

Advertisement