Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Is there any new info on the M7 widening scheme, I can't find any information on it anywhere?.

There's a thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

So far there isn't an accident, so on the first general Friday evening, its apparently backed up right the way to J5, maybe even J4.

The flyover and "5 into 3" is handling it fine, but it does look like the delays along the M7 are worse for definite. Still, the total journey time (Newlands in the old days + M7) is still probably improved (Newlands flyover + worse M7).

Edit: M50 to J11 (M9) reported at 64mins by NRATraffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

So far there isn't an accident, so on the first general Friday evening, its apparently backed up right the way to J5, maybe even J4.

The flyover and "5 into 3" is handling it fine, but it does look like the delays along the M7 are worse for definite. Still, the total journey time (Newlands in the old days + M7) is still probably improved (Newlands flyover + worse M7).

Edit: M50 to J11 (M9) reported at 64mins by NRATraffic.

N7 needs auxiliary lanes like M50 to at least Rathcoole and the M7 (to J11) needs the two additional lanes. Also, any short weaving lanes on either the N4, N7 and M50 should be replaced with US style scissor ramps - a bit like M50 J13/14 southbound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Drove up it at 515pm. Traffic was slowing to a crawl at J3 and started to move after J4 before becoming a wall of red brake lights towards J5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

got onto the N7 at the Mad cow at 4pm.
    m50 was a dream, never been so good on a Friday.
    Took 15 minutes from newlands to jn 4 on the n7, it was solid from the crest of the new flyover.
    then from jn 4 to jn 7 it was grand,
    then the queue began, it was from jn 7 to jn 9, this part took 10 minutes in lane 1, it would have taken alot more in lane 2 and 3.
    all in all, was still alot better than usual fridays, but had to divert off to Tesco and pick up some free Goodfellas pizza.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Left Finglas at 5.25pm.
    Reached J4 on the N7 just before 6.00pm. Then the slowness started. A crawl to J9, then when it became two lanes it marginally sped up [drove in 3rd, rather than 1st/2nd]. Hit Newbridge at 6.50pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Over 96000 over the flyover on Friday, roughly a 30% rise from before it opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Left Finglas at 5.25pm.
    Reached J4 on the N7 just before 6.00pm. Then the slowness started. A crawl to J9, then when it became two lanes it marginally sped up [drove in 3rd, rather than 1st/2nd]. Hit Newbridge at 6.50pm.

Left Carrickmnines at 4.45, was in Newbridge just after 5.30 :) at least 30 min earlier than usual!

-On N7 Turn off before you get to Topaz Garage - drive behind Topaz - go through Kill, then over N7 via Palmerstown House into Sallins - left towards Naas in Sallins, turn right just after rail station and this road crosses right through to the Newbridge Road just before Toughers.

Been taking this route on Fridays and any particulary bad days for years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

omicron wrote: »
    Over 96000 over the flyover on Friday, roughly a 30% rise from before it opened.

So there were 74,000 using it before it opened?! :D

So there were 74,000 using it before it opened?! :D
    I think that the figure might have been a bit lower 74,000 lower in fact. :pac:

just goes to show that some 22,000 used alternative routes during the construction phase. Some of the 22,000 are rubber kneckers trying out the new route that figure may drop a small amount over the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bóthar Katherine Tynan has had much less traffic on it between the M50 and the Belgard road since the newlands road opened in the evenings.

It used to back up to the M50 junction, but now it's only filled about halfway from the Kingswood tram stop lights back towards the motorway. So some traffic is diverted away from the ORR I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 varioguard

First accident this December has been cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭screamer

The N7 widening will help a lot, but if anyone remembers when they upgraded the current N7 to 3 lanes at Naas because of the Ryder cup, believe me, the pain it'll be for those extra lanes will be something unbelievable. I am seriously considering looking for a job closer to home at this stage, I cannot face Friday evening traffic every single bloody day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I've seen some pretty awful driving, people cutting across lanes. Maybe the gantry after Kingswood should direct people to left lane for M50/Tallaght

varioguard wrote: »
    First accident this December has been cleared.

That road needs a Garda blitz - two weeks like Hitler pulling motorists up for everything - speeding, not keeping up with the traffic, incorrect lane usage, cutting up other motorists, faulty lights, not keeping the correct distance, not driving to the conditions etc.

Agree I think the main problem here is, as you mentioned incorrect lane usage and then s*** I am in a wrong lane so lets cut through 3 lanes without indicating and then BANG!!!
    Or maybe ... not reading the signage

varioguard wrote: »
    Agree I think the main problem here is, as you mentioned incorrect lane usage and then s*** I am in a wrong lane so lets cut through 3 lanes without indicating and then BANG!!!
    Or maybe ... not reading the signage
    I can just hear the conversation with a Garda....
    "It's not my fault, I always use this lane, it's them, they rearranged the lanes!" :rolleyes:

The funniest thing is that the lanes destinations (after the bridge) havent changed, L1 M50N & Luas / L2 M50S&City / L3 City.
    The real problem now is the traffic travelling to fast along the new weaving section from Belgard/Fonthill EB merge to Luas/Clondalkin diverge within approx.200m.
    If you are in a wrong lane you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I can just hear the conversation with a Garda....
    "It's not my fault, I always use this lane, it's them, they rearranged the lanes!" :rolleyes:

"it's dem bleedin forddin contractors what which made the roads all different joe!":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭pad199207

They need to rectify the temporary bend on the N7 on the cityside of the flyover. Inbound traffic is comin down off the flyover at well over the imposed 60KMH and the entering traffic is merging at the bend. Together with lane changing, it's a lethal combination!

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    They need to rectify the temporary bend on the N7 on the cityside of the flyover. Inbound traffic is comin down off the flyover at well over the imposed 60KMH and the entering traffic is merging at the bend. Together with lane changing, it's a lethal combination!

Unfortunately this current temporary layout is very similar to the permanent one - merge / less then 100m weaving / diverge
    So we may expect ... more accidents in the future

Another crash tonight at Johnstown.... I'll be surprised the night that there isn't an incident now, what a fecking joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

screamer wrote: »
    Another crash tonight at Johnstown.... I'll be surprised the night that there isn't an incident now, what a fecking joke.

Lot of people, new road layout.

I cant see it continuing beyond a month or 2 when everyone has gotten used to it.

I often meet people who are terrified of using the M50 and even use the back roads out of fear of all the traffic. Take it handy and you cant really go wrong is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

From the number of people who jam on the brakes at the last sign and cut across multiple lanes of traffic, I can only conclude that there are an awful lot of people with really bad eyesight driving on our roads. No joke, it's scary.

hmmm wrote: »
    From the number of people who jam on the brakes at the last sign and cut across multiple lanes of traffic, I can only conclude that there are an awful lot of people with really bad eyesight driving on our roads. No joke, it's scary.

I'd conclude more like they're driving along in a world of their own, not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Intrinsic bad driving, coupled with lack of attention (sometimes due to tiredness) makes an ideal combination for dangerous traffic conditions.
    Ideally, it Gardai were present, one would think that would improve things but anyone who drives on the N7 (I do it 5 days a week) will tell you that people slow down from 120 km/h to 60 km/h whenever there's a Garda van/squad car on the side of the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

For much of the state's history, road signage was non-existent or downright misleading. Irish people have long since learned to trust their instincts when driving, and to assume that they know the way. In this day and age of 6-lane motorways with multiple entrances and exits, you simply cannot drive this way - you must trust the signs and follow them closely. Unfortunately, it seems that most people are finding it hard to adjust to this.

spacetweek wrote: »
    For much of the state's history, road signage was non-existent or downright misleading. Irish people have long since learned to trust their instincts when driving, and to assume that they know the way. In this day and age of 6-lane motorways with multiple entrances and exits, you simply cannot drive this way - you must trust the signs and follow them closely. Unfortunately, it seems that most people are finding it hard to adjust to this.

...and perhaps, the ability to follow directional signage and being in the correct lane should now be included in the driving test - reading such signage has become essential as a safety issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spacetweek wrote: »

I disagree with this.

It's down to the driving test not meeting modern requirements.
    You are not required to drive on a motorway during your test.

As a result people here do not learn how to enter a motorway (at the same speed as the traffic on the motorway, not a leisurely 30-50kph).
    No idea about lane discipline, keeping to the left. Still think the lanes are 'fast' and 'slow' lanes.
    No idea how to exit a motorway properly either. They need to get into the exit lane at the start not just before the junction.

I was this type of driver, failed test twice but carried on driving. Moved to Netherlands for a few years and did proper driving course there . Being told to speed up to 120km when entering a motorway was a shock and took getting used to but I learnt an awful lot, passed test first time there and was then appalled when I came back here and saw the level of driving.

It's poor education backed up by a poor driving test and low standard driving schools that is the cause,not lack of road signs or 'people trusting their instinct'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

murpho999 wrote: »
    I disagree with this.

It's down to the driving test not meeting modern requirements.
    You are not required to drive on a motorway during your test.

As a result people here do not learn how to enter a motorway (at the same speed as the traffic on the motorway, not a leisurely 30-50kph).
    No idea about lane discipline, keeping to the left. Still think the lanes are 'fast' and 'slow' lanes.
    No idea how to exit a motorway properly either. They need to get into the exit lane at the start not just before the junction.

None of the issues here on the N7 are on a Motorway...

Advertisement