Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

varioguard wrote: »

... and dont forget about the West coast. Donegal - Sligo - Tuam motorway would be great:)

Tuam - Gort starts very soon so there is some hope

Tuam was always a stretch for the Motorway. I doubt anything outside of very minor reallignments will happen Tuam-Sligo in our lifetimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can you give me more detail?

well its been reported in the various local papers that the NRA has proposed works to bray north , but that Co CO wants it and Kil mac fixed and has rejected NRA plans

• Registered Users Posts: 16 varioguard

Tuam was always a stretch for the Motorway. I doubt anything outside of very minor reallignments will happen Tuam-Sligo in our lifetimes

The country needs another North - South motorway, on the West or from the border through Cavan / Athlone /Nenagh / Waterford...
    If you live somewhere along the East coast u r OK but going North South on the West or centre part of the country is still a disaster

The country needs another North - South motorway, on the West or from the border through Cavan / Athlone /Nenagh / Waterford...
    If you live somewhere along the East coast u r OK but going North South on the West or centre part of the country is still a disaster

Yes but the demographics were always and will be against that. Even dub-waterford was a stretch of the justification and would never happen now.

Goods roads yes, motorways , very hard to justify along the western sea board

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes but the demographics were always and will be against that. Even dub-waterford was a stretch of the justification and would never happen now.

Agree, however something like Cavan / Athlone /Nenagh / Waterford or even Dublin ring road would take a lot of traffic from the M1/M50/M7.

So many people are complaining about the M50 these days.

I dont know maybe I am just jealous:)
    I dont live along the East coast

From other point of view maybe good roads on the West would bring people and businesses there.

• Advertisement

From other point of view maybe good roads on the West would bring people and businesses there.

I know but it rarely happens in that order. You need the jobs first, the traffic second. Then the roads come on board as there is a definitive business case for them. Building M17 to Sligo would take some time for the sleeping giants of Tobbercurry etc to take off (if ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Build it and they will come.....end of story

MayoSalmon wrote: »

sadly that ended in disaster and ghost estates and the running of letrim etc

No matter what you do , you will not tip the center of Gravity away from Dublin, and the surroundings. Its even more prevalent with the new knowledge economy etc

Talking about the M18 Tuam Gort...
    I am so disappointed with the new M18 / M6 interchange...
    it is a roundabout not a free flow junction
    Doesnt look good
    When changing motorways you need to stop at the roundabout...

huh, huh , what in the name of God is that about, what bright spark came up with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

sadly that ended in disaster and ghost estates and the running of letrim etc

No matter what you do , you will not tip the center of Gravity away from Dublin, and the surroundings. Its even more prevalent with the new knowledge economy etc

Thankfully were talking about Government spending here and not private vulture developers and Co

its about saving money I believe... or a badly wrong design:)

its about saving money I believe... or a badly wrong design:)

I agree but....

The traffic queues don't really build (in any of the 4 directions) even as it is. Your too far from Galway for that to happen.

A bad idea yes (especially future proofing) but i cant see mad queues happening at this... maybe on Race Week.

I would say Its not about queueing, its more about feeling when you drive along a motorway...
    you dont want to stop! If look at most of interchanges in rural Europe they are free flowed.

And as you said future proofing would be nice

I would say Its not about queueing, its more about feeling when you drive along a motorway...
    you dont want to stop! If look at most of interchanges in rural Europe they are free flowed.

And as you said future proofing would be nice

well I suppose its an easy thing to fix in the future

If you look on the M50 it was easy but... very expensive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Wasn't this the slogan for the western rail corridor :rolleyes:

If you look on the M50 it was easy but... very expensive:)

yes but land on the m6 m18 will despite all attempts to suggest otherwise never be as scare or as expensive as in Dublin near the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Talking about the M18 Tuam Gort...
    I am so disappointed with the new M18 / M6 interchange...
    it is a roundabout not a free flow junction
    Doesnt look good

A fair number of motorway junctions in the UK are the same.

It's not a problem unless there is a large volume of interchanging traffic.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Wasn't this the slogan for the western rail corridor :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on that joke of a thing. 2 hours to get from Limerick to Galway. :mad:

Back in the early 90s when I were a slip of a lad driving a 1.1 Ford Fiesta, I could drive from Limerick City centre to Eyre square in 55 minutes. :eek:

And there was only a dual carriageway from Limerick to Shannon in those days ... interrupted at Bunratty. After that it was all two-way traffic with nothing by-passed. I'm not sure which traffic rules were obeyed in doing this as it was soooo long ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Tuam - Gort starts very soon so there is some hope

I thought it had already started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

this morning heading Dublin Bound
    Big BMW driven by a woman with a child in the back of the car.
    Slams on breaks in lane 1,
    just before the 1 meter high barrier starts which is just after the boot road exit,
    and decides to drive over the partition between the flyover and the belgard road slip.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Can't help but notice that the Green Isle camera is having trouble updating again... :o

snap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

rameire wrote: »
    this morning heading Dublin Bound
    Big BMW driven by a woman with a child in the back of the car.
    Slams on breaks in lane 1,
    just before the 1 meter high barrier starts which is just after the boot road exit,
    and decides to drive over the partition between the flyover and the belgard road slip.

Could it be that the road signs were so badly designed and positioned (as is the norm) that she didn't see the sign in time?

Witness the direction signs exiting Turnpike/Ballymount road to join the N7. Unless you're familiar with the junction it's impossible to decide the correct lane for up to four destinations once you've entered the N7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

ttenneb wrote: »
    Could it be that the road signs were so badly designed and positioned (as is the norm) that she didn't see the sign in time?

Witness the direction signs exiting Turnpike/Ballymount road to join the N7. Unless you're familiar with the junction it's impossible to decide the correct lane for up to four destinations once you've entered the N7.

It could be this as there are only 3 gantry mounted signs starting 1km from the junction for Clondalkin/Belgard and a low level directional sign at the split. Maybe if the NRA put in traffic lights the lady in question would be able to find her way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ttenneb wrote: »

So that makes it ok for that particular driver to slam on the breaks and drive over the partition? She could've caused an accident. If you realise that you can't make your turn-off safely because you didn't see the sign / you got distracted / whatever, then keep on driving and come off at the next exit safely, and come back around. You won't make that mistake again. There is no excuse for this kind of idiot behaviour on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

tinkerbell wrote: »
    So that makes it ok for that particular driver to slam on the breaks and drive over the partition? She could've caused an accident. If you realise that you can't make your turn-off safely because you didn't see the sign / you got distracted / whatever, then keep on driving and come off at the next exit safely, and come back around. You won't make that mistake again. There is no excuse for this kind of idiot behaviour on the road.

What you've described is common sense and being considerate of other drivers, which is rare these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulosam

Nightmare queuing to get on to the Fonthill from New Road junction opposite Topaz in in the morning and evenings. NRA/BAM don't seem that arsed in finishing the local roads now the mainline is done. Still a a pain for pedestrians trying to cross, with random bits of fence still up for no reason and crap signage.

Bord Gas have been the only lads doing any proper work this last week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

they have done a lot of wall work, also alot of new road work, and road paving, they have also done a lot of tidy up work.
    including a new turn into the JMC road.
    I would think a lot of work will happen over the next few weeks, including lane closure and diversions over nights, and also some final tar macing on the main line.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

Just out of curiosity, am I correct in saying that there is no longer a right turn to Belgard Road (coming from Naas) at Newlands cross now that the flyover is there?
    I don't drive in to Dublin from that direction very often but someone told me that you can't turn right there anymore. I looked at google maps and it doesn't seem to have the flyover; it just shows the road layout the way it was before the flyover was built (unless I am mistaken).

Advertisement