Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In the second one, it looks like the cars drove past the point where you see the lights and had a "crap, can't see the lights anymore, hmm, think I'll just go when it's clear" moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stark wrote: »
    In the second one, it looks like the cars drove past the point where you see the lights and had a "crap, can't see the lights anymore, hmm, think I'll just go when it's clear" moment?

The first guy in the 2nd video stops at the far lights for a sec then then just continues on through. He just didnt fancy waiting at any lights.

It's really worrying the amount of times you see people sailing through red lights , just not seeing them. Things like pedestrian lights with a junction further down the road . It's like they just fix on the far lights and whatever is between them and the lights is irrelevant.

Another thing I'm seeing a lot of is people turning at a junction then stopping at the lights meant for the people at the other side. What sort of idiots are let in cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

rameire wrote: »
    from the dashcam thread

That's insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Its becoming a regular thing this red light breaking
    (time is 1hr out, its actually 05:44am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

To change the subject... :o:o;)

I see that the re-laying of earth on the land that was taken up by the temporary lanes is now at an advanced stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Some red light cameras are needed, this would improve concentration wonderfully, or else remove some of the worst offenders from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

This red light jumping is constant. Ive lived on Boot Road a number of years so have used this interchange almost daily.
    It seems that drivers are looking at the wrong set of lights and moving as soon as they change.
    This will cause a accident, if it hasn't already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

terrydel wrote: »
    It seems that drivers are looking at the wrong set of lights and moving as soon as they change.
    It's easy to see how they could when you look at the video.

spacetweek wrote: »

Not if they actually stop behind the set of lights they should be stopping behind if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

When the hell are they going to take down those stupid 60kph signs. NO ONE drives there at 60.. if you do you are holding up traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

NSAman wrote: »
    When the hell are they going to take down those stupid 60kph signs. NO ONE drives there at 60.. if you do you are holding up traffic.
    When the roadworks are finished :). There is still a temporary speed limit in force, I believe.

terrydel wrote: »
    Not if they actually stop behind the set of lights they should be stopping behind if you ask me!

The last video i'll post here until i get an accident on camera (fingers crossed there are no accidents).
    In this one a taxi sitting behind me in at the lights can't wait any longer, goes into the bus lane as he is entitled to do and then carries on regardless!!! A flash of my lights causes him momentarily to question himself but then away he goes when the red lights on the far side turn green.

spacetweek wrote: »

The other set of lights are a good 60 -70 metres away. Have you encountered many junctions where your movements are controlled by lights that far away?

And why would they override the red lights right beside where you're stopped?

The other set of lights are a good 60 -70 metres away. Have you encountered many junctions where your movements are controlled by lights that far away?

And why would they override the red lights right beside where you're stopped?

On the video I cannot see a stop line and the bus lane carries on where as some break would be expected if there was a stop line. While many people are idiots, if this is happening more often than usual it can indicate a design fault.

ardmacha wrote: »
    On the video I cannot see a stop line and the bus lane carries on where as some break would be expected if there was a stop line. While many people are idiots, if this is happening more often than usual it can indicate a design fault.

In the last video when the taxi brakes for the first time is where new traffic lights are going to be along with the stop line.
    While they are tidying up the last of the works they have moved the temporary lights/stop here on red sign gradually nearer to the new light position.

I think the people breaking the lights use that junction every morning and know they could be waiting for up to 3 mins for the green to come back on so can't be bothered waiting and just plough on through

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Taxi driver must know the area well, he is jumping the red just because he chooses so.

Having said that, the lights could be positioned a bit better., How about having lights above the roadway? Most lights in Poland or in the US are suspended above the road. It makes them more visible and situation clearer.

Is it just temporary layout or permanent one?

There are lights on either side of the road, accompanied by 2 large orange "stop here on red" signs. You'd have to try really hard to miss them. There arent any other lights to dilute them so at night the ig red lights are especially noticeable. If a line on the road is needed to get people to stop then they shouldnt be driving, their observation skills arent up to it.

Maybe finnharpsboy will stick a clip up of the approach if its handy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Geogregor wrote: »
    Having said that, the lights could be positioned a bit better., How about having lights above the roadway? Most lights in Poland or in the US are suspended above the road. It makes them more visible and situation clearer.

Is it just temporary layout or permanent one?
    It is temporary so no need for overhead lights. Sometimes we have those for permanent ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The quality of the surface where you come onto the N7 southbound is still quite poor, they still haven't 'blended' in the two surfaces, for want of a better word. Also am I alone in thinking that there should be more of a filter lane to allow you to merge with the southbound N7 traffic, I know they're not finished yet, but from what I can see it doesn't look like you'll have much of a filter lane before merging with the N7.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    The quality of the surface where you come onto the N7 southbound is still quite poor, they still haven't 'blended' in the two surfaces, for want of a better word. Also am I alone in thinking that there should be more of a filter lane to allow you to merge with the southbound N7 traffic, I know they're not finished yet, but from what I can see it doesn't look like you'll have much of a filter lane before merging with the N7.

Yea I thought the same

• Advertisement

There are lights on either side of the road, accompanied by 2 large orange "stop here on red" signs. You'd have to try really hard to miss them. There arent any other lights to dilute them so at night the ig red lights are especially noticeable. If a line on the road is needed to get people to stop then they shouldnt be driving, their observation skills arent up to it.

Maybe finnharpsboy will stick a clip up of the approach if its handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

OK - I'll just throw it out there, and I know I'll get jumped on, but I agree a stop line at the lights would solve this problem.

There is some sort of dashed line at about 8 seconds into this vid, which is where the lights currently are, but if you look at 11 seconds there is a proper stop line. This is what is probably drawing people in.

My guess is people are cruising up to this and then the only lights they see are waaaaay the hell across the other side so presume these are the ones that are controlling them.

I know, I know, people should read the bloody signs, but it's a bit of a quare set-up.

I know it's a temporary set-up, but they could burn off the temp stop line when everything is done.

Simples.:rolleyes:

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    OK - I'll just throw it out there, and I know I'll get jumped on, but I agree a stop line at the lights would solve this problem.

There is some sort of dashed line at about 8 seconds into this vid, which is where the lights currently are, but if you look at 11 seconds there is a proper stop line. This is what is probably drawing people in.

My guess is people are cruising up to this and then the only lights they see are waaaaay the hell across the other side so presume these are the ones that are controlling them.

I know, I know, people should read the bloody signs, but it's a bit of a quare set-up.

I know it's a temporary set-up, but they could burn off the temp stop line when everything is done.

it is a quare set up at the minute seeing as those lights and stop here on red signs are being moved closer to the permanent new set seen at 11 seconds into the clip, moving a little closer each day, so i can see why they dont have a temporary stop line in place.

If theres no stop line at red lights/ stop sign, you should stop at the lights/sign.

Temp stop lights now less than 10 metres from the permanent position they will occupy when the works are complete

Does stop here on red sign without a stop line comply with legal requirements? They should have a stop line, then no need for a sign.
    This does say a lot about the management of Irish roadworks.

Does stop here on red sign without a stop line comply with legal requirements? They should have a stop line, then no need for a sign.
    This does say a lot about the management of Irish roadworks.

As long as the light is red you should stop at the light if there is no line as per the rules of the road.

BhBKYGh.jpg

Can't be long left now until it's finished.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

So what do they think the red lights are for? Have you ever come to a set of red lights and thought "these clearly dont apply to me, surely its the ones up the road"?

The signs are only in addition. If you come up to a red light, you stop. What else would you do at a red light?

and if they are missing bright red lights on either side of the road, as well as big orange signs, why would they see a line on the road?

The new lights set up at Newlands Cross approaching from Belgard Road...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

There's still alot of people jumping the reds on the belgard side.

• Advertisement

Cap1 wrote: »
    There's still alot of people just jumping the reads on the belgard side.

Yep, just thru it, coming from red cow side turning onto fonthill road. 2 clowns jumped from belgard side as I was about to move off.
    Its pure stupidity at this stage, nothing else.

Advertisement