Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolands Hill in Stillorgan

Options
  • 18-09-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I see that Bolands on the Hill, Stillorgan's "Oldest Pub" has been put under new management, given a new lick of paint and renamed 'McGowans'. Seemed to have happened overnight. It's still undergoing refurbishment afaik.

According to wikipedia, Bolands was the local drinking refuge of many South Dublin writers, among them Brian O Nuallain (Myles na gCopaleen) and Maurice Walsh".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yes, i noticed the name change today too. still says Bolands on something at the back, but i'm sure that'll change soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.......i know a few guys who drink there. Apparently a complete clearout of staff also. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

This bar was apparently the original orchard linked to the rathfarnham one. Charlie chawke has owned or has bought it. Not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

greenman09 wrote: »
    This bar was apparently the original orchard linked to the rathfarnham one. Charlie chawke has owned or has bought it. Not sure.
    No, the Orchard was the one down the hill, now owned by the O'Dwyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    No, the Orchard was the one down the hill, now owned by the O'Dwyers.

With a pay and display car park:eek:
    What a way to attract customers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mo_town

Not familiar with this pub, being a northsider, but heard that the new owners are the same guys who own McGowans in Phibsboro. The one in Phibsboro is the best venue on the northside by a mile and if they replicate the atmosphere and layout it will be a great place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

mo_town wrote: »
    Not familiar with this pub, being a northsider, but heard that the new owners are the same guys who own McGowans in Phibsboro. The one in Phibsboro is the best venue on the northside by a mile and if they replicate the atmosphere and layout it will be a great place to go.
    ...Or they might end up with a replication of what they did in Churchtown. :eek:

so has anyone actually bothered to go here since it's been turned into McGowan's? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

glasso wrote: »
    so has anyone actually bothered to go here since it's been turned into McGowan's? any good?

I haven't but I do see they are doing €3.50 all drinks on Thursdays, free in before 10pm.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stillorgan-Ireland/McGowans-of-Stillorgan/109676369566?ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

1968 wrote: »
    I haven't but I do see they are doing €3.50 all drinks on Thursdays, free in before 10pm.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stillorgan-Ireland/McGowans-of-Stillorgan/109676369566?ref=ts

Isnt a bit off that a local pub should have a cover charge in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Yeah, but until the barriers were installed, the car park was frequently fairly full and the pub empty. I've some sympathy for them, but I'd like to think there would be better solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Reesy wrote: »
    Yeah, but until the barriers were installed, the car park was frequently fairly full and the pub empty. I've some sympathy for them, but I'd like to think there would be better solutions.

Some pubs around the country operate a barrier. Customers get a token from behind the bar to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I live quite near both of these places. The last time I walked past the Orchard (about 2 weeks ago), the barriers were up. I think they might have renamed it the O Bar now or something too.

I was in there last March and had parked there but I'm pretty sure because I was in the bar they didn't charge me for the parking. I gave them the ticket as I was leaving and they stamped it so I didn't have to pay for parking from what I remember.

I don't think I've ever been into Bolands. It always looked like a bit of a dive to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

You buy any drink or food in the pub, you get a token and it's free parking for as long as you're there. Can't see what the problem is really. At least you can find a parking space now - previously the spaces were often taking up by commuters or people going to the cinema.

As for the new Bolands, if it's anything like McGowans in Phibsboro I'd give it a wide berth. Coppers in the suburbs :rolleyes:

Advertisement