Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newport/Cardiff - Wales

• 18-09-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm heading over to Newport(Cardiff) in Wales for a month with work and looking for suggestions for things to do.
    I will have 2 wk'ends there.

At the moment I plan to hit a Newport Gwent Dragons match and go visit Stonehenge.

What else is fun or interesting to do around that area? A few hrs away or more is ok.
    What’s worth seeing/doing in Cardiff itself?

For scenic drives should I stay in Wales or go south of England? Any recommendations?

Any pointers much appreciated. . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Hi there,

While I dont know much about Newport, I have lived in Cardiff for the guts of a year.

In Cardiff itself, do the Millenium Stadium tour - one of the best stadium tours I've been to, well worth it!

If you are into rugby, you should check the Magners League fixtures to see if the Dragons or the Cardiff Blues are playing any Irish teams while you're around. They're good fun and you'll have good banter with the Welsh fans ;)

Also, if the weather is nice, check out Cardiff Castle and Bute Park, both in the city - check out if there's any events on soon. I remember around this time last year there was a cider and cheese festival in the castle grounds, was good fun! Bute Park is brilliant just to walk around on a nice Sunday afternoon.

Also, Cardiff Bay is well worth checking out - even if it means heading out there for a coffee or a meal. It is where the Millenium Centre and some of the Welsh Assemble offices are located, and there is plenty of open space and a huge selection of coffee shops and restaurants. They have done a fantastic job in regenerating the area, IMO, something which the Dublin docklands agency could take note of! Take a boat tour of the Bay or Cardiff city if the weather is nice!

For scenic drives, I would highly recommend the Brecon Beacons, north of the South Wales valleys. Some truly breathtaking scenery out there. The Gower peninsula west of Swansea is supposed to be really good too. You could also check out Snowdonia if you feel up for it.

I would also suggest having a drive around the Cotswolds - some lovely little villages around there.

You also won't be far from Bristol - would be worth doing a day trip there, although the locals aren't supposed to be as friendly as the Welsh ;)

You'll generally have a blast with the Welsh folk - for the mostpart they seem to appreciate the Irish humour more than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Thanks Kalashnikov, with what I've planned and your suggestions, I think thats nearly my two wk'ends pretty much sorted!
    Its gonna be hard to choose ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

while newport itself is a bit on the shabby side,the whole surrounding area (usk valley) is beautiful and great to drive around. you could check out celtic manor resort outside newport where they have the ryder cup,
    also as mentioned above take a spin over the severn bridge to bristol, about 45 mins away.

Advertisement