Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WAR - Wicklow Adventure Race April 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I did GF in 5.30 and am hoping for under 5 for WAR. Will be enjoying myself running up and down the hills but going to push myself hard for a decent time otherwise ive no excuse for eating all those jellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peterx wrote: »
    Spin to Djouce 8.2k took us 27 mins

Now that looks like impressive timing.
    my question is how slow should I take the run?

Throw the stopwatch away. Pace yourself on effort. It takes as long as it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

Some of my own tips:
    Done the 53k cycle and then the Spink run on Sunday. Was laughing my head off as I was cycling up to Lough Tay on the 10% incline, some walkers were giving me funny looks! It really is madness.

After the Djouce run there is one very dangerous bend cycling downhill coming up to a bridge to be aware of, I foolishly took it too fast and ended up on the other side of the road and was a gonner if there had of been a car...

Straight forward after the Sally Gap but going downhill is tricky with some bad road surface and potholes. One particularly bad stretch of 20 yards or so that you will be forced to go through massive craters if oncoming traffic. Will be fine if no traffic but the cars can really slow you down if your behind one, especially if there are two passing each other. Save a bit in your legs for the short flatish 2km straight from Laragh to Finish.

The Spink run is excellent and my first time to run it, will be a slow ascent on the sleepers but the descent is fast and very technical once you cross the the waterfall. Question on route choice, there are a few merrited shortcuts on the zig zag descent along the waterfall which in my opinion would save you a few seconds. Is this allowed on the day? The marked course isn't detailed enough to strictly rule it out as there are signs walkers take the shortcuts too. I wouldn't want other runners to think I was taking an unfair advantage either. Is this fare game do you think?

Gear wise the lads give a few tips on the site with a new video. If the weather is anything like Sunday (11 degrees, calm and dry) then I would reccomend wearing only running gear and gloves untill after the Djouce run and then a windbreaker for the last cycle. Might do the Kayak in my barefeet to save the cycle shoes from getting wet. If its cold and wet then Booties would be a must for the cycle and prob a heavier rain jacket and gloves.

Kit requirement is:

• Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); 1 x bandage, plasters)

• Survival bag or foil blanket

• Whistle

• Energy food and drink

• Bicycle helmet for cycling section

So all of the above is mandatory regardless of the weather and must be carried at all times? So if the weather is forcast to be great you could probably stick all the above in a bumbag. Can we leave items with our bikes? Like cycle shoes, helmet (im presuming yes!)

If the weather is bad we will need:

• Gloves *

• Hat (Buff Headwear or equivalent IS sufficient)*

• Spare fleece shirt*

• Water-proof top with Taped seams*

• Water-proof bottoms *

• Small rucksack or suitable bumbag*

Why is the last item there btw, how else would you carry your mandatory equiptment, jersey pockets??

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

jayok77 wrote: »
    After the Djouce run there is one very dangerous bend cycling downhill coming up to a bridge to be aware of, I foolishly took it too fast and ended up on the other side of the road and was a gonner if there had of been a car...

There will be a marshal on this part of the route to make sure people slow down. It's worse if it's very blustery. Take care on this part.
    Save a bit in your legs for the short flatish 2km straight from Laragh to Finish.

I think this is the worst part! You think you've done all the hard stuff and now there's a flat/slightly uphill part from Laragh to Glendalough.
    The Spink run is excellent and my first time to run it, will be a slow ascent on the sleepers but the descent is fast and very technical once you cross the the waterfall. Question on route choice, there are a few merrited shortcuts on the zig zag descent along the waterfall which in my opinion would save you a few seconds. Is this allowed on the day? The marked course isn't detailed enough to strictly rule it out as there are signs walkers take the shortcuts too. I wouldn't want other runners to think I was taking an unfair advantage either. Is this fare game do you think?

I've looked at the zig-zags myself and tried going the direct route to see if they were faster. In my opinion you won't gain time on them. I *think* you are allowed to go straight down if you choose but it wouldn't save me time.

Might do the Kayak in my barefeet to save the cycle shoes from getting wet. If its cold and wet then Booties would be a must for the cycle and prob a heavier rain jacket and gloves.

I don't think going barefoot is a good idea. I did the Beast of the East triathlon in Lough Dan and found it hard to walk on the stones. You would also lose vital minutes taking off and putting on your shoes. You would also have to make sure that you could find your shoes after the kayak section. If you kick off your shoes at the lakeside then they might be trampled on by all the other competitors coming behind you.

Kit requirement is:

• Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); 1 x bandage, plasters)

• Survival bag or foil blanket

• Whistle

• Energy food and drink

• Bicycle helmet for cycling section

So all of the above is mandatory regardless of the weather and must be carried at all times? So if the weather is forcast to be great you could probably stick all the above in a bumbag. Can we leave items with our bikes? Like cycle shoes, helmet (im presuming yes!)

You must keep all mandatory kit with you at all times but you *can* leave non-mandatory items with your bike e.g. extra water/sports drink, cycle shoes, pump etc.
    If the weather is bad we will need:

• Gloves *

• Hat (Buff Headwear or equivalent IS sufficient)*

• Spare fleece shirt*

• Water-proof top with Taped seams*

• Water-proof bottoms *

• Small rucksack or suitable bumbag*

Why is the last item there btw, how else would you carry your mandatory equiptment, jersey pockets??

Cheers!

Yep, PeterX fitted all his mandatory kit in the zipped pockets of his cycling jersey in Achill Roar. If the weather is bad though you won't be able to fit a spare fleece/thermal layer, water-proof bottoms and water proof jacket. That's why the final item is in there.

Green&Red wrote: »
    Is anybody able to give their time in GF last year and their expected time for WAR?
    Just to give a rough idea, i've no idea of the course at all.
    GF took me 4.35 last year

Hey Green&Red GF took me around 4h36 last year (have to double check so I may have crossed the line a minute after you). My (rough) estimate for WAR is 4h50. (2x1hr for the runs, 2.5 hours for the 3 cycles, 20 minutes for the kayak section).

Not a scientific calculation mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

Looking at the course map, if using cycling shoes you'll have to carry running shoes on the course too - am I correct here?

Myggel wrote: »
    Looking at the course map, if using cycling shoes you'll have to carry running shoes on the course too - am I correct here?

Yes, if you're using cycling shoes then you'll have to bring your running shoes during the cycling sections. You can leave your cycling shoes on the bike when leaving it for the run and kayak sections.

three of the lads I met in Glendalough yesterday (Cornelius, Ben and Dave) were thinking of wearing their spd cycling shoes during the kayak stage so that they wouldn't have to change shoes twice for the relatively short kayaking part. Interesting idea. Probably not a good idea with the regular (triangle cleat) road shoes. Can't remember the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Can anyone tell me if we have access to our bikes the morning of the event ?
    Just to do some final checks and drop off water bottles etc.

What do people do to ensure helmet shoes etc remain dry in case of rain ?
    Just put eveything in a carrier bag ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Some of my own tips:
    Done the 53k cycle and then the Spink run on Sunday. Was laughing my head off as I was cycling up to Lough Tay on the 10% incline, some walkers were giving me funny looks! It really is madness.

Straight forward after the Sally Gap but going downhill is tricky with some bad road surface and potholes. One particularly bad stretch of 20 yards or so that you will be forced to go through massive craters if oncoming traffic. Will be fine if no traffic but the cars can really slow you down if your behind one, especially if there are two passing each other. Save a bit in your legs for the short flatish 2km straight from Laragh to Finish.

Gear wise the lads give a few tips on the site with a new video. If the weather is anything like Sunday (11 degrees, calm and dry) then I would reccomend wearing only running gear and gloves untill after the Djouce run and then a windbreaker for the last cycle. Might do the Kayak in my barefeet to save the cycle shoes from getting wet. If its cold and wet then Booties would be a must for the cycle and prob a heavier rain jacket and gloves.

Pretty much agree with all the above, done the 1st run and cycle with Irishrm on saturday morning.

The first run up the sleepers will be a big queue i think if ur not running, i wont be anyway, not done enough training but i think even walking the uphill parts and running the flat / downhill sections, this can be done in an hr..i averaged 7min / km plus we missed the first turn into the forest where the steps are so ended up doing nearly 15km so 9k, i should come in an hr. The downhill bit after the footbridge is technical and can be tricky underfoot, ankle threatened to go over a few times but i think all in all it's very do-able.

Cycle to Lough Dan is ok, few small inclines but nothing hectic - the road going into the lough is all gravelled over, loose stones.

Lough dan to djouce i found really hard, there's a steep enough climb coming out of lough dan aswell for about 800m or so but the cycle to sally gap was tough, the wind was coming down the hill into our faces, bike nearly stopped on me a few times,plus it was freezing with the snow around.

Djouce to sally gap is a tough enough cycle aswell as the wind was in our faces all the way up so felt like forever - this section of the course lough dan until you reach sally gap will be the toughest, we didn't do 2nd run.

Cycle back to laragh is not so bad, some uphill sections and flat sections that you need tp really push along but the road around the waterfall as some people hjave reported is very bad, i got a puncture but hopefully some of it might be better on the day but lesson learned, will be bringing two tubes i think, hopefully some of it's repaired and it will be marshalled as people will puncture here

I didn't get to do the end part but it's a nasty little climb back into glough from laragh aswell.

Done GF last year in just under 5 hrs but this will take me longer as not trained as much due to work so if i get under 6hrs, happy, under 5hrs30, delighted.

Was glad done the course sat anywya as was afraid i mightn't be able to do it but for the running, walk the uphill bits and run the flats and i think a reasonable time would be had as there is alot of downhill on it aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Some comments / advice relating to some of the above posts:-

Bikes will be in the open if left in transition on Fri night – Best put your gear in a bag for sure.

There is ~800m of uphill run before you come to the sleeper / steps in the forest – that should sort out the general order and bear in mind that waves are graded and will be of ~100 each so there should not be too much of a queuing problem. My advice for all bar the “Advanced” wave is to walk the steps unless you are a strong uphill runner in which case you should prob not be in any other wave.

On the rocky downhill section after the bridge it is Not fair game to cut the Zig Zags – You must stick to the path so feel free to shop anyone that cheats by shortcutting.

At Lough Dan you will have approx 400m to run along a track from the bike drop to/ from the Kayak In / Out location. Don’t plan on keeping your feet dry or you might be disappointed.
    You can leave your bike shoes with your bike – i.e. You need not carry them on the run sections.

You Cannot leave runners at the Lough Tay transition in advance, have someone meet you there with them or jettison them on the return bike leg for collection later.
    i.e. If using biking shoes you must carry your runners on the bike, at all times.
    In general I think it is probably better to use some sort of toe clip pedals and the same trail shoes throughout the race but that of course just my opinion and final decision is up to your personal preference.

You must have all the mandatory kit with you for registration as it is highly likely that you Will have to carry it All!
    Those that did ROAR last year will recall that the weather was exceptionally good and we are very unlikely to have a repeat of that.

It is the Wicklow Mountains and the two runs and Cycle take you onto high and exposed sections where if you take a tumble and get a wee bit injured you will need to keep warm whilst you try to hobble down off the hill!

There has been some further deterioration in the road condition between Glenmacnass and Laragh so extreme care should be taken there along with that off camber bend into Annamoe, the descent / ascent close to Lough Dan where there will be 2 way race traffic, and the descent about 1 km after the start of the last bike leg near Lough Tay.

For the top advanced wave sorts the winning time is estimated to be something between 3h 40 and 3h 50 but this could be more depending on the weather so in general if you are in a similar condition to GF you can plan on being out at least 10% longer tho the run sections in WAR are far more runable so the experienced mountain runners will have less of an advantage over regular runner sorts than in GF.

Bring the right gear, start at a sensible pace, take care on the bike, eat and drink well throughout the day and you should be ok!
    Should be a great race throughout the field but it ain’t a regular Walk in the Park :eek:!

• Advertisement

Excuseless wrote: »
    On the rocky downhill section after the bridge it is Not fair game to cut the Zig Zags – You must stick to the path so feel free to shop anyone that cheats by shortcutting.

My bad! Grand so! As I said it wouldn't be an advantage to cut the zig-zags and you'd be interrupting your rhythm. Well it's all academic anyway you don't have the choice! Good chance of injuries going that way as well.

Thanks for the clarifications Excuseless - It may be an idea to put some of them up in the FAQ section of the site as I'm sure a great deal of entrants wont read this forum.

descent / ascent close to Lough Dan where there will be 2 way race traffic..
    Yes I forgot about this bit, there could potentially be an accident with one biker speeding down in the middle of the road coming off a bend and the other biker weaving side to side on the uphill climb with their head down.

Some further clarrification if I may?
    At Lough Dan you will have approx 400m to run along a track from the bike drop to/ from the Kayak In / Out location. Don’t plan on keeping your feet dry or you might be disappointed.

Do we have to run along the stoney track? Can we run on the field beside the track where there are no stones, it seems the optimal route to the take anyway if the kayaks are at the waters edge. Just thinking if I decided to do the kayak section in socks, there isn’t many stones around the waters edge until you actually get into the water. If not and I find myself waiting on a crew mate I may actually have time to slip into shoes I guess.

Just some other things I noticed in the FAQ:
    Your ‘crew member‘ can be a mate who you are racing alongside or a fellow competitor who gets to the boats at the same time as you.

So what happens in the following situations - Not having your own Kayak you find yourself in one of two situations when arriving at LD. You find yourself waiting in a Kayak for a fellow competitor to paddle with, then two 'mates' arrive together and insist on paddling together. Likewise if your one of the 'mates' and feel you don't want to paddle with the scrawny armed guy :o who somehow managed to beat you to LD. Is there a queuing system where you filter in wherever there is a gap?

strummer_ie - I also coldn't follow this, in one section it says:
    Your bikes must be left at Glendalough before midnight on Friday 16th of April.

Then later it says:
    "On Friday 16th of April (after 6pm) you will leave your bike in the main transition area in the Glendalough Upper lake car park, where we will have set up racking. It will be safe overnight as the transition area is locked and they are guarded overnight. On the day bike drop off, will be from 6am – 7:30am."

So does this mean there is the option to drop your bike off in the morning and we don't have to make the additional trip the night before?

And lastly...where’s the party(s) at afterwards!?! :D

Much appreciated!

GoHardOrGoHome - Agreed it's now academic but I seriously disagree with you about the shortcuts! I guess we'll never know unless we do it again for fun! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eamonn1980

hi,what type of back pack should I get for the day and where can I get this? foil blanket and basic first aid kit?cheerse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Eamonn there is video up on the war website, included in that is a bit about what type of backpack is suitable for a race.

http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/2010/04/spink-run-youtube-clip-and-gear-advice/

Something similar to this http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/TalonSeriesMultiUse/Talon22/
    would be suitable for the race

check out Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock in Dundrum, or 53 Degrees North, Outdoor Evolution in Blessington have a good selection of backpacks suitable for day activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Here' a garmin link to all the course except the kayak stage, we cycled to the gates of Lough Dan.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29103832

The wind direction will play a big role in this race. A tailwind from Sallygap home could take 3~4 minutes off the last cycle time.
    There's a decent slog up from the river to the flank of Djouce on the second run, you'd want to have some zip left in the legs or you could lose lots of time as the boardwalk back to the bikedrop can be very very fast if your legs still have turnover.

In GF6 last year two of the triathletes worked together on the opening stages to get to Croagh Patrick ahead of the hillrunners - maybe more of the same in WAR. In an ideal world the hillrunners will catch up on Djouce and then we'll have some fairly exhilarating road racing back to Glendo - if not the triathletes will have all the fun to themselves.
    Some fun on that bridge by the hotel if a few lads are neck and neck:D

It should be a great race, there will be carnage on the spink, the climb up to Djouce will be strewn with lactic, the descent by Glenmacnass will be a white knuckle ride and that's not to mention the party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

groovyg wrote: »
    Eamonn there is video up on the war website, included in that is a bit about what type of backpack is suitable for a race.

check out Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock in Dundrum, or 53 Degrees North, Outdoor Evolution in Blessington have a good selection of backpacks suitable for day activities.

Don't forget there's a discount in 53deg North for WAR entrants.

In reply to jayok77:

You MUST run down and back up the potholed track at Lough Dan - not On the Grass until level with the boats at gap in fence - Follow signs and tape!

2. Partnering up is done between competitors and there will be no "forcing" of partnerships by marshals - I reckon you are best to hop in with whoever is there rather than wasting time waiting for yer mate or a biceps bulging sort :D

If you are dropping a bike at transition on Fri night it must be before midnight.
    Transition will reopen at 6am to recieve bikes on Sat morning.
    all bikes should be checked in by 7.30

You will need to have registered at either 53 deg North in Carrickmines between Sat 10th and Thurs 15th or in the Glendalough Hotel on Fri 16th before any bikes can be left at transition.

As the event parking will be in Laragh GAA grounds you might be best to keep your bike with you and cycle up from there on the road on Sat morning.
    Alternative route is via a walking path past the Woollen Mills - Dis approx 3km by either route

4. Party on Sat night in Glendalough Hotel where Rock Till You Drop music is on the Menu!

Full details on this and lots more will be in briefing mail to be sent out early next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

I am taking part in the sport version. I have found this thread really helpful but most of the information posted here has been related to the full hardcore WAR course.
    This might be a silly question but what is the setup in T2 for the Kayaking?
    I will be wearing cycling shoes so I was wandering if there is an area in T2 were I can leave off some footwear before the race. I am hoping to drop off some gear at T1 and T2 before the race starts. Then during the race to hop off my bike in T2 change my shoes and go.

Setup in T2 at Lough Dan the same for Full and Sport classes.
    Dismount/ Dib (Timing chip) In / Rack bike / Run down track/ Kayak / Run back up track / Unrack bike / Dib Out / Mount and cycle.

You Cannot drop gear at Lough Dan or Lough Tay transition areas to change shoes there - you must carry them with you on the bike if you wish to change.

If you are using a personal Kayak you can leave this at the Kayak entry area in advance as directed by marshals.
    Same applies re no gear like running shoes to be left in advance at the bike rack area for those bringing their kayaks.

You can leave any gear you want at Glendalough Transition area (T1) in area allocated for your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

guys can someone tell me what the road surfaces are like for the cycle?

was going to use a racing bike with the cleats but now after reading these posts am thinking i may use a mountain bike.

are there many streches of road where if using a racing bike you will have to get off and walk just like the section on gaelforce after croagh patrick.

That cost me a puncture last year (with punc res tyres) and with peoples comments about losing time switching back and forth from trail runners to cycling shoes it sounds like i may be better off just going with a mountain bike.

I understand the inclines are tough from the links but any word on the actual road surface quality.

thanks in advance and goodluck to all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Seanie - road bike all the way, the entire course is on a tarmac road :)

Excuseless - can we leave food and liquid with the kayaks?

Excuseless - thanks for that but one more thing the site says:

9th – 15th of April: 53Degrees North store in Carrickmines, at the M50 Carrickmines exit.

But you say Sat 10th? I was hoping to do it tomorrow after work!
    Peterx wrote: »
    Excuseless - can we leave food and liquid with the kayaks?

Yeah, I'd love to leave food and liquid with Peterx's kayak too! :P

BTW Peterx thanks for uploading your garmin info was appreciated.

Typo on the web site that :( - sorry about dat
    Sat 10th it should read for opening of registration.

No food or drink to be left with kayaks or at any transitions in advance in the interests of a Fair Race for all :eek:!

There is a tap at the toilet block at Lough Dan where you can fill your water bottles and we will have approx 1l per competitor at Lough Tay transition in large volume containers.
    You can take water from them in your own bottle to take on run an last bike leg - save anyone dropping plastic bottles or cups on the course we hope :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No food or drink at transitions? So all food and drink has to be carried at all times? I was hoping to leave some kit at transition (wet gear etc) is this a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Oryx wrote: »
    No food or drink at transitions? So all food and drink has to be carried at all times? I was hoping to leave some kit at transition (wet gear etc) is this a problem?

I had assumed we'd be leaving the backpacks there for the kayak section anyway, I don't really fancy having anything that could tangle on my back while in the water.

• Advertisement

Excuseless wrote: »
    Typo on the web site that :( - sorry about dat
    Sat 10th it should read for opening of registration.
    Balls, was planning on registering tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Thinking of doing the sport course over the weekend. Is it too close to the event? What should the last week training before the event entail. All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Irishrm

Toe cages or cleats?

I'm planning on wearing speedcross 2s for the first run and leaving a bag with jacket etc at the bike transition area in the upper car park, put the trail runners in the bag and clip into the bike shoes and hit the road. Change into the trail runners at lough dan to get to the kayaks and do the same at the Djouce run. Seems a lot of changing but I think the benefits of the clip in cycle shoes outweigh the time spent putting on the trail runners, what with all the climbing to be done on the bike. Speedcross 2's have a quick lace system so no meddling around doing up laces. Anyone think this is a crazy idea? I did GF in trail shoes and did fine but I've been training on the bike with the clips ins so going to stick with them for WAR.

Planning on taking Enduros advice and chucking the stopwatch and just going at my own pace around the course and enjoying the day, hopefully the weather is kind although I don't think there is any possibility of no wind on the way to the Sally Gap no matter how good the day.

Just to follow up on previous posts, the road from the waterfall down is in a shocker so be careful, does anyone know if the roads will be closed to traffic or will even one lane be closed?

Looking forward to it now, just wrapping up the last bit of training over the weekend and rolling into the 17th...

Response to some queries:

ORYX/ Briano: Nothing to be left at any Lough Dan or Lough Tay transitions when leaving on your bike other than at Glendalough - even if your clothes are wet!
    No paddling gear to be left at Lough Dan in advance or when leaving except actual paddling gear/ kayaks by those with their own boats!
    PeterX: - No food or drink to be left with your own kayak - in the interests of a Fair Race!

Irishrm - you will need to take all mandatory kit with you on all sections except in the kayak.

If any way windy I would advise wearing your Mandatory Jacket on the kayak section - we won't insist on carrying your bag on the kayak.

Some road sections from Glenmacnass to Laragh are being resurfaced at the minute so likey to be less potholes but lots more loose chippings :eek:.
    Wickow Co Co are aware of the race and will be doing all they can to improve it before the race.

NO Roads will be closed to the public.

You are responsible for obeying all rules of the road and instructions of marshalls and riding within your limits at all times in the interest of your safety and that of other competitors and members of the public.
    Marshalls are not there to stop traffic for you as they have no authority to do so.
    They have the authority to stop you

Full briefing mail due out shortly so please hold off on q's until that has come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Irishrm

Thanks Excuseless,

I have planned to bring the mandatory kit in my cycling jersey pockets if its a nice day otherwise I'll be carrying the bag with all the extra mandatory gear the whole way around if the weather is poor.

I'm not sure which I would prefer, loose stones or potholes... either way I'll be taking it handy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Planning on doing the 2nd run tomorrow, are there any route issues - is there only the one route up and down ?
    Thanks

Rinker wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the sport course over the weekend. Is it too close to the event? What should the last week training before the event entail. All advice appreciated.

I am planning on doing the same over the weekend. I'm not an expect but have checked with a few people and the general consensus was to take it easy from Monday on.

Would you be interested in meeting up and heading around together.

PM me if you want to sort out details.
    Otherwise best of luck in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Thanks Excuseless!

When I said leaving the bag at transition, I meant for the kayak section. Obviously I'd be taking it with me when I got back on the bike (those bags ain't cheap!)

Look forward to the briefing mail

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Looking forward to this tho havent done much running as I had a back injury. Done 60k on the MTB last night with 2.40 tyres to help the legs.

I am in two minds to use the spd's My speedcross 2 are light but the thought of carrying them is enough to put me off. I also only have MTB flats so would be ott on the road bike. I wont be breaking any records for pace but like to be comfortable when on the route.

Planning on doing the 2nd run tomorrow, are there any route issues - is there only the one route up and down ?
    Thanks
    Route isn't difficult if you know where you going.
    Check it out on google maps/osi discovery maps.
    I got lost the first time. Second time was handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I looked at that and only thing I got from it was to stay right and follow the trail anti-clockwise
    Is it still possible to go wrong, are there a few trails ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilly c

Hi,

Just wondering can anyone give me a bit of advice on what type of bike to use for the Connemara Adventure Challenge Race on May 8th.

I have recently done a few duathlons and purchased a racer, but I see from the race website, its advised to use a hybrid bike. What is the difference between a racer and a hybrid?

Not sure what to do for the race now and a little confused!:confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gear Freak

GUYS,

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING ALL OF YOUR MANDATORY KIT WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE REGISTERING IN 53 DEGREES NORTH OR THE HOTEL ON FRIDAY.

WE WILL NOT LET ANYONE REGISTER WITHOUT SEEING THEIR MANDATORY KIT.

IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN YOUR KIT YET YOU CAN PICK IT UP FROM 53 DEGREES NORTH, MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM YOU ARE DOING W.A.R AND THEY'LL GIVE YOU A 15% DISCOUNT!

BEST OF LUCK IN THE RACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Just did the sport course this evening and noticed that the road markings direct you back along the same road to Glendo and not thru Roundwood as per map. Has the route been changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

i also did the sport yesterday and was confused with the markings, the original map on the web is different to the one you get at registration/road markings and dont seem to go into roundwood at all.

That road is shocking up and back from lough dan, there will be accidents

what kind of bag if any are people using???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

"That road is shocking up and back from lough dan, there will be accidents."

Know your limits and stick to them - if your not used to hitting gravel at 80kph coming down into Laragh, then slow down!

Its an AR race, its ment to be tough.... If you want perfect glass roads for your roadie, do a road race in Europe, not an AR in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

Anybody got any old style quick fix solutions for a smothering Cold, I'm depressed been cold free for 6 months and this weekend i get hit with the mother of colds, i've even got green gunk seeping from my eyeballs (Yuk!). my muscles ache.

5 days left to get bug free and rested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

themoney wrote: »

What has changed? Looks like the original route to me...

sorry please ignore my post above it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I'm having a few transport problems for friday getting bikes to the upper lake. I was going to drop them there on thursday and lock them up then call up friday on motorbike, unlock and rack up.

ive never been to upper lake so do people think the bikes will be safe there, alternatively if anyone is staying in croney byrnes they might be able to help me out.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

Just took a look at the Sprink Run Youtube clip..were the lads running in wet suits?

Sport bike route returns to Laragh via same route as the out leg.

After consultation with the Gardaí it was agreed that this route was safer than going via Roundwood with all the vehicular and pedestrian traffic that would ential.

As OCnoc sagely says "Know your limits and stick to them" - this applies throughout the course for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Anyone here staying in the glendalough hotel or u all traveling to and from the race?

• Advertisement

I'm staying in the Glendalough hostel. Just a short walk from the partay!

Advertisement