Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WAR - Wicklow Adventure Race April 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

How close is the hotel from the start/finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

Hey mregan,

meself and the missus are stayin in the hotel. its a couple of hundred yards from the start, i was up there cycling the route a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

Would anyone (not affiliated with organising WAR) like to describe their registration experience? What to expect etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Jayok77: Registration is straightforward as it gets. Quick check of kit, sign the form, pick your jersey size and you're done. I did it Sunday so I'm sure it's even more efficient now that they've had a while to practice.

No hard sell of kit from the shop either which was nice to see. Although I did nearly talk myself into a pair of Oakleys......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Registered yesterday. As described the lads just take a quick look at your kit, and sign you up. I love the shirt. :D Great shop, too.

Got a 6l rucksack in Tesco for this event, complete with water bladder, for E15.95. Might not last long, but a steal for that money.

• Advertisement

Hey mregan,

meself and the missus are stayin in the hotel. its a couple of hundred yards from the start, i was up there cycling the route a few weeks back.

A biker as well going by the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

jayok77 wrote: »
    Would anyone (not affiliated with organising WAR) like to describe their registration experience? What to expect etc.

registered monday, no problem, checked some of the kit in the bag, signed up, got the t-shirt..end of

does anyone know how to put the number onto the bike? for GF we had little stickers for the bike but not for this?

Bulmers wrote: »
    registered monday, no problem, checked some of the kit in the bag, signed up, got the t-shirt..end of

does anyone know how to put the number onto the bike? for GF we had little stickers for the bike but not for this?
    I assumed the numbers went on us. But for the life of me I cant figure where to put them. Ill wear a rucksack on my back, so might put one on that and one on my front, but its awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

re numbers:

I was told to wear one on the front and that the other one was to go on the front of my spare layer ie: if it's cold and I put the second layer one I'll still have a number visible. I have a full zip and was told it's fine to wear the number to one side of the zip

Didn't get a bike number?
    Presume that will be obvious on the day - numbered racks from 1 to 100 maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

can someone tell me if i'm planning on leavin the bike down the sat morning between 6.30-7.30 a.m. is it far from the bike racking section to the Laragh GAA groundscar park

I know from Laragh GAA groundscar park to the start is 2 miles so thats 20 min odd but how far from racking section to carpark.

is it a posssibility it wiill be chaos leaving teh bike down that morning??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Peterx wrote: »
    re numbers:

I was told to wear one on the front and that the other one was to go on the front of my spare layer ie: if it's cold and I put the second layer one I'll still have a number visible. I have a full zip and was told it's fine to wear the number to one side of the zip

Didn't get a bike number?
    Presume that will be obvious on the day - numbered racks from 1 to 100 maybe

i was thinking same when got my numbers at reg on Sun,ithought one might be for the bike, only my 2nd time doing event like this so wasn't sure but above makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

<Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

Hi guys

hope the training is going well and u are taking it easy between now and Saturday!!

As some of you are aware, Myself and lifesanocean! are taking part in the War Sport this weekend, and colleagues from our college Sligo College of Further Education are offering Pre Race & Post Race Massage. We are raising money to purchase a defibrillator for the college. We are asking for €10.00 but any donation is excepted!!!

Thanks for the support and look forward to meeting up with you all at some stage along the course!!

Anita

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

Two more last minute questions Excuseless:

Do you have to have mudguards on your bike? I would prefere not to but there was a lot of loose chippings kicked up while cycling the route last week. Probably too late to insist anyway I guess.

In the mandatory kit section it mentions food which is fine, gels etc but it also says drink. So you must have at least a bottle with you at all times?

The new 'Women to watch' section on the site was a great idea. We certainly will be watching out for them, amiright lads?? No? Just me? :P

One eye on the weather (sssh don't jinx it!) and another on the great big dirty bowl of pasta in front of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Is everyone leaving there helmet on their bikes and what if a good day are people actually going to have in their backpacks?

Doing sport and cant see why i need a backpack

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

jayok77 wrote: »
    The new 'Women to watch' section on the site was a great idea. We certainly will be watching out for them, amiright lads?? No? Just me?

Yea, you'll get to watch them... as they burn past you.... Donna Mahon is a monster in the hills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

MREGAN wrote: »
    Anyone here staying in the glendalough hotel or u all traveling to and from the race?

Staying down the road from it in a B&B...heading down on Friday morning, long spin over from Westport.

ocnoc wrote: »
    Yea, you'll get to watch them... as they burn past you.... Donna Mahon is a monster in the hills!
    Been kayaking with Jen. Scarily tough and determined. :)

So where are the men we wanna watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Can anybody tell me, if the weather is good and we dont have to carry waterproofs and fleece, will it be ok to leave them in a bag at transition 1. Will that transition be secure until the race has finished?

I registered on Tue morn and was in and out in under ten minutes. Nobody tried to sell me anything, they just checked that I had everything. Jersey seems nice but not alot else in the goodie bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Oryx wrote: »
    Been kayaking with Jen. Scarily tough and determined. :)

So where are the men we wanna watch?

Im right here:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

wondering what people are thinking layers wise. Would I be on the right lines with my drifit t shirt, cycling jersey and jacket in reserve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

MushGSXR wrote: »
    wondering what people are thinking layers wise. Would I be on the right lines with my drifit t shirt, cycling jersey and jacket in reserve?

Thats all I am bringing...

A cap and a buff as well...

Im right here:):):)
    Race number or stfu.;)

Ive been debating this as well. Gonna do a tech tshirt, the war cycle jacket (as its the only one I have) and carry the waterproof/windproof one with me. I expect to need it in the kayak, Im told they're splashy. Im gonna have the rucksack on all the time, as its light and has a water bladder, but with the minimum in it, all bike related stuff will stay with the bike.

*edit... may have arm warmers if they arrive in time!

Am hoping I find T1 ok tomorrow and rack the bike etc, am clueless about all that aspect. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Very nervous now.. Time running out.. bag pack and heading up tonight...

No turning back!!!

Still trying to decide on gear and what to wear.. The car is full of stuff because of this

weather looks like it'll be nice so sun block is packed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Yes indeed. Looking forward to this now.

How fast do you think the lead men and women will be completing the course in?

Just read back and saw this post by Excuseless

"For the top advanced wave sorts the winning time is estimated to be something between 3h 40 and 3h 50 but this could be more depending on the weather"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

so tempted to go biking in wicklow tomorrow morning to watch the fun up Luggalla ;)

Good luck to those racing / participating

Enjoy.

Whether I see any of you or whether I dont, good luck to all and enjoy the day. :)

I plan to try to enjoy it. :p

Can some one tell me the best route to take tonight. I am coming down from Belfast probably hitting the M50 at 5-6 Not Great at that time I'd say??? I know the way but which of the three roads below should I take to get to Glendalough Hotel.

From M50 is it best:
    1/ Exit and follow R115 (Is there even a junction here?)
    2/ N11 Then turn right after Jamesons Corner R755
    3/ N11 to Ashford R763

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

yeah best of luck to everyone tomorrow, id say the race between Peterx and Enduro will be brilliant. The men and women to watch section was a nice addition to the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

MREGAN wrote: »
    Can some one tell me the best route to take tonight. I am coming down from Belfast probably hitting the M50 at 5-6 Not Great at that time I'd say??? I know the way but which of the three roads below should I take to get to Glendalough Hotel.

From M50 is it best:
    1/ Exit and follow R115 (Is there even a junction here?)
    2/ N11 Then turn right after Jamesons Corner R755
    3/ N11 to Ashford R763

Cheers

I would take the Kilmacanogue exit (don't know number) off the M11 onto the R755 and just head straight on through Roundwood and Laragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Enduro, PeterX and PatryKeith (sp?!) will all be vying for top spot. I imagine PatryKeith is the strongest cyclist but who knows. 3 out of the 7 men mentioned on the WAR site post on Boards. Not bad.

Hope the weather is good and we don't have to bring rain gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

Git101 wrote: »
    I would take the Kilmacanogue exit (don't know number) off the M11 onto the R755 and just head straight on through Roundwood and Laragh.

exit 8 off the n11

Cheers that'll do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enduro, PeterX and PatryKeith (sp?!) will all be vying for top spot. I imagine PatryKeith is the strongest cyclist but who knows. 3 out of the 7 men mentioned on the WAR site post on Boards. Not bad.

Hope the weather is good and we don't have to bring rain gear.

Don't forget Kevin Keane...

I jogged a bit from Ballinastoe up towards Lough Tay and the Wicklow way this evening and the conditions were magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Anyone any word on whether or not the rain gear will be mandatory? Weather looks good and according to the forecast there is only a 5% chance of rain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

fluboy wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me, if the weather is good and we dont have to carry waterproofs and fleece, will it be ok to leave them in a bag at transition 1. Will that transition be secure until the race has finished?

Does anyone know if T1 will be secure or where can we leave keys wallets, tracksuit bottoms etc.

What an event and what a day for it!

Followed bits of it this morning... I'll post a link up with some photos soon.

Had to laugh earlier on the Spink. I've never seen such a new collection of brand new trail shoes streaming past me. The trail shoe shops have done well in recent times. Still, there was still the odd runner in the road shoes contrary to the advice / rules. The amount of guys cycling with heavier mountain bikes was strange too, particularly given the warm conditions. It was noticeable too that some guys seemed to have taken liberty with the instructions to carry mandatory kit. Perhaps they get DQed later?

Well done to the organisers, the helpers and most of all the participants. You'll wait a long time for a better day than that in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Was devasted to miss out...

Stupid volcano left me marooned in London...

What a day. I am sure it was an epic race???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Really great day at WAR. Perfect conditions and extremely well organised event.
    Take a bow organisers. Thrilled with my own performance too. Anyone know if results will be posted on website? Off now for my first pints in well over a week.:):):P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nailer76

Just home from a truly great event and what a day for it.Well done to all who organised and competed was great to see such a turnout. The only problem i found was that my time came out at 16hr:17mins mins instead of 4:17 but im sure it will be sorted.Anyone any idea what the winning time was ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Winner was 3:33 I think, Enduro. Can't remember womens time. Smashing day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

nailer76..... its just the way the SI was configured. Box's were zero'd to 12:00, instead of 00:00

Happens a lot. 10sec job to fix

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great pics SJ. It's hard to believe they were taken on our doorstep. :eek: The sun makes it look so much prettier too.

Well done to anyone who took part, looks like a blast. Didn't enter this as I was going the Conn Ultra, probably would have been well able for it though, alas, I know for next year.

Cant see the pics slogger, were you the one who told me girls dont smile :)

Brilliant event and brilliant weather, but jesus i found it tough. Spink half killed me and I was only startin. Managed a 5.49, which means in terms of my cyclin I def hardened up. :) will report on my log when I stop feeling so tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

I also want to say a big thank you to the organisers, marshals and Gardai. It was a great day. For a first time event it was all really well run. A tough event but will back next year.

The only bad point in the day was that they insisted on us carrying all equipment including waterproofs. God only knows why, it was the hottest day of the year. Plus from the start I saw an awful lot of people carrying no bag and no equipment. Most of them were in the elite group. One rule for them, one or the rest. But saying all that, once again really well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

I also want to say a big thank you to the organisers, marshals and Gardai. It was a great day. For a first time event it was all really well run. A tough event but will back next year.

The only bad point in the day was that they insisted on us carrying all equipment including waterproofs. God only knows why, it was the hottest day of the year. Plus from the start I saw an awful lot of people carrying no bag and no equipment. Most of them were in the elite group. One rule for them, one or the rest. But saying all that, once again really well done to all concerned.

Actually the top ten men (and women IIRC) were all checked for mandatory kit crossing the finish line. A bag certainly was not required for carrying the mandatory kit, and most of the top ten or' elites' were carrying their kit in cycling jersey pocekets or fuel belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gerrf

Plus from the start I saw an awful lot of people carrying no bag and no equipment. Most of them were in the elite group. One rule for them, one or the rest. .
    In fairness to these participants I would assume most if not all of those people carried their mandatory kits in the pockets at the back of their cycling tops where you can put alot of stuff. I certainly saw a good few who had done this so I would give them all the benefit of the doubt. But I agree with all the other posts. It was a fantastic day out. Will be back definitely.

Oryx wrote: »
    Cant see the pics slogger, were you the one who told me girls dont smile :)

:D I have those flickr photos as public accessible so can't see what the problem might be I'm afraid. Others appear to see them okay :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 patrykeith

I was in the elite start and reckon i was around 10th , didnt hang around after. i carried a bag weighing over 3kg around the whole course but most of the guys in front of me had no bags and cycling pockets dont hold first aid kits, whistles , fleeces, jackets etc, i was told that the carrying of the bag had to be done at sign on and would be disqualified if not carrying, i seen 2 guys at the start line who finished in top 10 and unless they had magic pockets they where carrying nowt but an energy gel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement