Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make a seperate sub forum off Personal Issues for Alcohol Related Issues

Options
  • 18-09-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to make a sub forum for Alcohol Related Issues off Personal Issues (the same way Relationship Issues is done) - Ive already mentioned it in this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62169603&postcount=16

I think it would be a good idea, alcohol related issues are very specific and it could be useful for people in a bad situation to be able to find threads that they relate to easily?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

True, but a lot of people with alcohol related issues would object to their issues being related to alcohol.

The indignity of having their "personal issue" moved to "alcohol issues" would probably be enough to have them stop listening to what constructive advice would be given.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Xiney wrote: »
    True, but a lot of people with alcohol related issues would object to their issues being related to alcohol.

The indignity of having their "personal issue" moved to "alcohol issues" would probably be enough to have them stop listening to what constructive advice would be given.

Pretty much this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sorry - I actually meant a forum for people dealing with someone elses alcoholism, as opposed to people suffering from possible alcohol problems themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

An Al anon forum?
    tbh people would be better of going to thier local al anon meeting, they have people trained to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

ok - thanks for the feedback, was just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hey thanks for taking the time to start the thread and ask.
    It is always nice when people take the time to make suggestions to help the forum grow or run better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Plus, OP, as far as I understand it (and I'm open to correction) a reason for the Relationship Issues sub-forum being created was the sheer volume of relationship-themed threads. There are nowhere near as many "al anon" threads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Hey thanks for taking the time to start the thread and ask.
    It is always nice when people take the time to make suggestions to help the forum grow or run better.
    +1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

hi, i'm seconding username123s suggestion re a subforum for people who have to deal with alcohol-related issues i.e. people who have to cope with them.

true people can go to an al-anon meeting and the leader is trained.
    however a lot of people will just trail the internet for info and support. it would be helpful just to have a subforum so people can chat and share their experiences in an anonymous environment as is being done in the personal issues forum anyway. i doubt the people sharing info and advice are trained psychologists on there, so i don't see where the problem lies for people sharing experiences/advice re dealing with alcoholism issues ?
    also, there are 2 alcohol related threads on page 1 alone today.

there are subforums on boards for "David Hasselhoff", surely the area of people dealing with alcohol abuse merits a subforum?

Advertisement