Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Irish friendliest people or not anymore

• 18-09-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

Is it long since the day has gone when Irish are the friendliest nation,Cause i remember days when you could walk in Dublin city and a stranger would tell you to cheer up and smile.
    How do you feel Ireland? And for the ones who don't remember when it was like that how do you see it now?Random stranger talking to you on a bus or at a bus stop or in a queue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Depends on where you are to be honest. I'm always friendly to strangers, but I see some people with attitudes towards people on holidays and it's a bit sad. I think it depends on the pub you're in aswell - some pubs are full or arseholes, others are sound and you can have a chat with anyone in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I find people friendly.

That said, I'd hate it if I were to walk down the street and have a stranger tell me to cheer up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If a stranger told me to cheer up and smile I'd punch them in the face. That'd cheer me up.

If a stranger told me to cheer up and smile I'd punch them in the face. That'd cheer me up.

Cheer up ya auld bollocko(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Complete strangers talking to you on public transport is one of the most annoying things that can happen on your commute.

I don't know you. STFU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

dlofnep wrote: »
    Cheer up ya auld bollocko(s).

You cheer up backwards penfold. goddamn condescending me man. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

English people seem much friendlier

You cheer up backwards penfold. goddamn condescending me man. :pac:

<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its the recession...

Everyone's nuts are screwed tight now days...

And people in the west are generally slightly more friendlier than around Dublin.
    But then again the recession is getting them too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Were friendly once you dont tek our jobbssssss! or eat our swans

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

<joke about Essex girls.>

There are lots of places you can still go in Ireland where the people are friendly - you just have to know your spots. I went to a nice little pub in Donegal there not so long ago and the owners bought me more drink than I paid for, gave me ginger cake and served me waaaay beyond the point of me finding my way back to my hotel, next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Its the recession...

I think it was the boom tbh. created a generation arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Dublin people annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

caseyann wrote: »
    Is it long since the day has gone when Irish are the friendliest nation,Cause i remember days when you could walk in Dublin city and a stranger would tell you to cheer up and smile.
    How do you feel Ireland? And for the ones who don't remember when it was like that how do you see it now?Random stranger talking to you on a bus or at a bus stop or in a queue.

Thank Christ for that, sounds horrendous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

<joke about Essex girls.>

There are lots of places you can still go in Ireland where the people are friendly - you just have to know your spots. I went to a nice little pub in Donegal there not so long ago and the owners bought me more drink than I paid for, gave me ginger cake and served me waaaay beyond the point of me finding my way back to my hotel, next door.

That always happens to me when I'm wearing my balaclava as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

The proof Ireland has become unfriendly and need not speak to anyone stranger or be friendly or you will get battered :D

I loved it,you could walk through town people said sorry if they nearly knocked you down and in the shops they asked how your day was going.Now its grunt and throw your money at you and breathing down your neck in the queue,because they are to impatient to give you room and be polite :mad:

Eire is dying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I had an (very sound) American friend who loved the idea that, because it was Ireland, you could get a pint in a certain pubs in Dublin like Grogans and start chatting to strangers. I do think the idea of the friendly Irish, while not strictly untrue, is pretty exaggerated.

stovelid wrote: »
    I had an (very sound) American friend who loved the idea that, because it was Ireland, you could get a pint in a certain pubs in Dublin like Grogans and start chatting to strangers. I do think the idea of the friendly Irish, while not strictly untrue, is pretty exaggerated.

In last ten years it is and dwindling more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

I think that, as a society, we've changed so much and I think, generally speaking that, as a society, we are less friendly. We're more defensive and less willing to go out of our way to help someone.

I try to be as polite and friendly as possible when I'm interacting with people individually, but when I'm in town or college when it's packed, I'll mostly ignore people - too many eejits!

A pet hate of mine is when you're walking down the street and it's just you and one other person on the path and you say hello, or give some form of acknowledgement and the other person ignores you. It's infuriating. I'll say something like "All-right?" and when I don't receive a response, I'll say much louder, "Mustn't be then, so". I'm a d1ck though...:pac:

A friend of mine also experimented in Dublin to see how many people he had to say hello to in the street before someone would say hello back. I think he got to like 50 people before someone said hello. It was a shock to us Derry folk.

Jesus, and Taxi drivers and people on the road... every time I hear a beeping horn I tell the driver to shut the fúck up. As a pedestrian I don't need to be having my mind hurt by this unnecessary and incessant noise pollution.

/rant

DoireNod wrote: »
    I think that, as a society, we've changed so much and I think, generally speaking that, as a society, we are less friendly. We're more defensive and less willing to go out of our way to help someone.

I try to be as polite and friendly as possible when I'm interacting with people individually, but when I'm in town or college when it's packed, I'll mostly ignore people - too many eejits!

A pet hate of mine is when you're walking down the street and it's just you and one other person on the path and you say hello, or give some form of acknowledgement and the other person ignores you. It's infuriating. I'll say something like "All-right?" and when I don't receive a response, I'll say much louder, "Mustn't be then, so". I'm a d1ck though...:pac:

A friend of mine also experimented in Dublin to see how many people he had to say hello to in the street before someone would say hello back. I think he got to like 50 people before someone said hello. It was a shock to us Derry folk.

That's exactly why i brought it up,its a shock to me to :(

I agree with you on it all,Ireland's face has changed drastically,is it just a matter of people don't care or are afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I've found people to be friendlier since the recession. Less trying to impress people going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Irish friendliness is a myth.

orourkeda wrote: »

Are you Irish? And if so how old are you?

Because i assure you not the case previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Your post is a myth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Irish people are friendly. Most of the foreigners i've met who have been to Ireland all told me of how they loved their stay and the friendliness of the Irish. And a majority of them would have been recent visitors. I'm not talking about people here 20 years ago. I've been in a lot of countries and a lot of the stories i've heard about the Irish from visitors far exceed the welcomes i've got in other countries. Guess you have to be a visiting foreigner to truely notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

caseyann wrote: »

This is discussed here recently. With unhappy consequences.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055683165

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

When a person in the city centre tells me to cheer up and smile, they're always and without exception being cheeky and disrespectful to me.

Anyway, I always though the Americans were the friendliest....a little too friendly!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Irish people are certainly a lot more gregarious than most countries. Friendly or decent natured? No... I don't think so. The advent of the Celtic Tiger would certainly suggest that Irish people are very much lacking in basic decency and friendliness. We're certainly a lot more arrogant and pretentious than we used to be... particularly younger people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Well of course you'd think that.

• Advertisement

Ziggurat wrote: »
    Well of course you'd think that.

Whereas places like, say, Cork are full of open-minded, friendly people who aren't bitter and don't have massive chips on their shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well I remember about 5 years ago, on my way to school in Dublin every morning I used to say "Hello" to most people who'ld cross my path and almost all of them would reply back. People were a lot more friendlier till about 5-6 years ago.

Its only recently I've seen that no one wants to speak to anyone.
    Especially after the recession. Everyone's gone very hostile to all the foreign guys.
    Hence I believe it a bit of the whole "all them immigrants tekin our jerbs!!!" thing...

NickNolte wrote: »
    Whereas places like, say, Cork are full of open-minded, friendly people who aren't bitter and don't have massive chips on their shoulder.

Ah, ha-ha, I'm not from Cork though. Try harder next time.

Ziggurat wrote: »
    Ah, ha-ha, I'm not from Cork though. Try harder next time.

Did I say you were? Try reading next time. D'uh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Anyway, I always though the Americans were the friendliest....a little too friendly!:P

We're just here to ride yer wimmin.

Did I say you were? Try reading next time. D'uh.

But why did you say it, then, if that was not your implication?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

But why would you walk along the street saying hello to everyone that crosses your path??

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

clown bag wrote: »
    I think it was the boom tbh. created a generation arsehole.

And turned many people into one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I think that Irish people are more friendly than those of most other Northern European countries. Ever met Swiss people?

I don't think we're world class or anything. I've heard that the people of Turkey, Syria, and even the Balkan countries are all friendlier now. Maybe they will turn sour if they ever get rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

:eek: God no!

I've always found Irish people to be friendly most the time. But always honest.

The Americans are just ridiculously over-friendly. It can be nice sometimes, but if you're in a bad mood it's just blood-boilingly infuriating

brummytom wrote: »
    :eek: God no!

Having lived in England and Ireland, I'd have to say that English people are a lot friendlier than Irish people. I've also noticed that they're not as prone to excessive workplace bullying in comparison. Overall, I've found English people (while not without their faults) to be far, far, far friendlier and more decent than the Irish. Just my experience.
    brummytom wrote: »
    The Americans are just ridiculously over-friendly. It can be nice sometimes, but if you're in a bad mood it's just blood-boilingly infuriating

I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Well this Corkonian is certainly more open minded than some of the anti-Cork bandwagoners on here. :rolleyes:

And now I know of course I know I'm going to be accused of having massive chips on my shoulder, true perhaps, but only coz yet again I see an anti-Cork jibe that just came out of nowhere. :rolleyes:
    I rest my case.

:confused:

While it's true that in some places people are friendlier than in others. A bit of cliche perhaps but in just about every country and yeah county too there is nice and not so nice people, and most of us are just somewhere in between. Also sometimes nosiness can masquerade as friendliness, just as shyness and reserved fear can be mistaken for unfriendliness.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Well this Corkonian is certainly more open minded than some of the anti-Cork bandwagoners on here.

The point to my retort was that Dublin isn't the only place in Ireland where assholes are prevalent. You get good people and idiots in every country. I've nothing against Cork in general - just using it as an example.
    While it's true that in some places people are friendlier than in others. A bit of cliche perhaps but in just about every country and yeah county too there is nice and not so nice people

Absolutely.

I've nothing against Cork in general - just using it as an example.

lol, even worse so you don't even actually believe what you implied, Cork was just a convenient vehicle for your deflection as fk it the chances are many others would agree with you, no?

Or do you mean to tell me that you just randomly picked Cork and that in fact you could have just substituted say Leitrim instead of Cork for the same effect :pac:

lol, even worse so you don't even actually believe what you implied, Cork was just a convenient vehicle for your deflection as fk it the chances are many others would agree with you, no?

Or do you mean to tell me that you just randomly picked Cork and that in fact you could have just substituted Leitrim instead of Cork for the same effect :pac:

Yeah, I could have. Although, if you read the thread, I was responding directly to someone who attacked Dublin indefinitely. So I'm not making any apologies. I've heard a lot more Cork people bitching about Dublin over the years than the other way around, so don't take it too personally. FWIW, I like Cork.

Yeah, I could have. Although, if you read the thread, I was responding directly to someone who attacked Dublin indefinitely. So I'm not making any apologies. I've heard a lot more Cork people bitching about Dublin over the years than the other way around, so don't take it too personally. FWIW, I like Cork.

I did read the thread and I understand the need to retort. Picking on Cork was a soft target really though, especially as the guy wasn't even from Cork, just as the guy picking on Dublin was a soft target.

I've heard a lot of bitchin on both sides, personally I used to think the majority of it was banter until I see all the crap on boards. FWIW I spent a lot of time in Dublin. Just as anywhere else I like some Dubs and I don't like others. Generally I have good time for the 'normal' dub (as long as they can see beyond just where I'm from) i.e. not the scanger type of Dub or not uber-D4 type head.

Sterotypes are as bad as generalisations TBH :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Cork-bashing here can be unbelievable - and I'm not talking about when it's banter, as that can be hilarious and I'd more than happily join in.

Sterotypes are as bad as generalisations TBH :rolleyes:

Since you don't really explain a lot of your comments. I'm not sure if I picked up the correct meaning of this. If you're saying I'm stereotyping - 2nd time I've been accused of that today :P coz of my scanger, uber-d4 head type comment. Hmm...

Well when I say scanger - I mean the sort of low brow anti-social type who would have the typical 'bleedin culchie' attitude. I don't identify with them, nor they with me. I'm not referring to decent salt of the earth working class Dubs btw. And when I say uber-d4 head type I don't necessarily mean all D4 people. Some of them are great. I mean the type who really behind it all hasn't got much about them, but purely coz Daddy has got money falls back on this and that's how they compare themselves to others.

Once again, I'm not from Cork, so what was your point? Why did you quote me while bringing Cork into it?

If it was not to imply that I was from Cork and, as such, would have a chip on my shoulder with regards Dublin then why bother to quote me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Having lived in England and Ireland, I'd have to say that English people are a lot friendlier than Irish people. I've also noticed that they're not as prone to excessive workplace bullying in comparison. Overall, I've found English people (while not without their faults) to be far, far, far friendlier and more decent than the Irish. Just my experience.
    Fair enough. I suppose people notice manners and things like that moreso in other countries than their own

I rest my case.
    No, you don't. I'm English, that's ruined your case :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement