Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANTI NAMA protest Saturday Sept 19th

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Straight away, the position or argument of the protestors had been diluted and weakened.

This a classic scenario of the economically Left. They just cannot keep to one issue - they feel the need to talk about everything. I was in Berlin, and for the crack I joined in in an anti-nuclear power march (I am pro-nuclear power). Even in that march the leftists tried to hijack it, giving out "Make Capitalism History" flyers etc.
    dresden8 wrote: »
    Not like the masters of our universe that have led us to this pretty mess, who are telling us to move along, nothing to see here.

Erm, I wouldt describe the economic decisions of the last 10 years in anyway good. FF's making a mess doesnt discredit economics in the slightest.
    dresden8 wrote: »
    They give away ten cards for the promise of 20 in the future from a bunch of thieves. Most 6 year olds know that's a bad deal

:pac: I laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

turgon wrote: »

:pac: I laughed!

I took a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

turgon wrote: »
    Erm, I wouldt describe the economic decisions of the last 10 years in anyway good. FF's making a mess doesnt discredit economics in the slightest.
    What about USA with sub-prime mortgages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I popped in for a quick look and to hand out a few AN flyers, generally gauge interest and see what it was all about. From what I could see the SWP, who have protests most days of the week down in Galway, seem to think its their chance to overturn the capitalist bourgeoise and gather the masses under their banner.

Most if not all of the groups there were SWP fronts or otherwise joined to that group, which is a habit they have - form lots of hydralike new groups because they know nobody can stomach them, jumping onto any cause going, then attempt to move them into the organisation, which routinely fails because once people know what they have signed up for, they leave in a hurry.

I also spoke to several of the leaders of these groups before, during, and after the protest, which did little to allay my concerns.

One thing I did notice however was the expressions on the faces of people on the street as the march passed by. "Happy" was not the term I would have used - arms folded, frowns, not a cheer to be heard. Very few want the SWP or similar extremist groups in Ireland, for good reasons.

Its very frustrating to see that the only visible protesting is being done by these professional protestors though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Are there more photos available? :)

• Advertisement

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I popped in for a quick look and to hand out a few AN flyers, generally gauge interest and see what it was all about. From what I could see the SWP, who have protests most days of the week down in Galway, seem to think its their chance to overturn the capitalist bourgeoise and gather the masses under their banner.

Most if not all of the groups there were SWP fronts or otherwise joined to that group, which is a habit they have - form lots of hydralike new groups because they know nobody can stomach them, jumping onto any cause going, then attempt to move them into the organisation, which routinely fails because once people know what they have signed up for, they leave in a hurry.

I also spoke to several of the leaders of these groups before, during, and after the protest, which did little to allay my concerns.

One thing I did notice however was the expressions on the faces of people on the street as the march passed by. "Happy" was not the term I would have used - arms folded, frowns, not a cheer to be heard. Very few want the SWP or similar extremist groups in Ireland, for good reasons.

Its very frustrating to see that the only visible protesting is being done by these professional protestors though. :(

I was holding a Labour 'no to NAMA' sign I'd gotten during the week and was at one stage (around college green) told that political signs were to be further back "Behind the Unions".

I got kinda puzzled then as to what I was marching for. See I thought it was an anti-NAMA march that the unions latched onto, but this steward was telling me that it was the other way around.

Good to see numbers increasing all the same. There was easily about 4k people there. Don't listen to anyone saying 1-2k.

I agree with means testing CB though. And for cuts that are fair to everybody. So I'm left twiddling my thumbs for long periods of time....

Kruk wrote: »
    Are there more photos available? :)
    img129f.jpg

dsc7066.jpg

img196l.jpg

dsc7033.jpg

131260904.jpg

img048fx.jpg

img035c.jpg